New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a 2000 Pontiac Trans am Firehawk

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"But i still might go with the fast intake but not sure about intake manifold." I think your confusing FAST intake for a air induction kit...FAST intake and FAST intake manifold are the same thing unless u meant FAST throttle body...Once again man not trying to be an ******* here but u dont make sense...But what ever you do with the car as long as you like it and have fun then go 4 it!!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just read 3pages of replies, ..., & I think this new car owner has a LOT to learn.
First off, ..., someone bent you over & , ...,
I'd be willin' to bet the damage on the front was more than you were told. It obviously has a new hood & a new front bumper.
Did you check the accident record or CarFax, or anything like that? Did ya see any previous photos of the damage?

Does the car still have the SLP door tags?
What's all listed on the passenger door tag for second sticker options?

Last edited by PontiacFan; 03-14-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a real firehawk. There is a crack and a dent in the bumper where the accident was. The guy covers it with tape, Takes out the dent, and paints it. The hood was not fixable so he got a custom one. The front cap is kind of twisted of to the side. I would love to see some pictures of when wrecked. And yes, I did check the carfax. Besides I didn't see the guy face to face, The dealership sold me the car and told me what happened. Ima try to contact the guy and see what happened to the car. I also looked at the frame and no frame damage. The insurance he had counted it as a salvage title buy I don't understand why. But then they made it official they put it in the title that it is rebuilt. Nothing was replaced but the hood. Fenders have the VIN Stickers so they are the original.

Last edited by vetteboy99; 03-14-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

If it is a real original Firehawk, I can guarantee that the front bumper has been replaced.
Wanna put, ..., say $100 on it?!?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
If it is a real original Firehawk, I can guarantee that the front bumper has been replaced.
Wanna put, ..., say $100 on it?!?
Ok, The bumper was replaced, I am not sure if it is a new bumper because the impact was under the passenger side headlight. There is a crack and the guy took duck tape and covered the crack and paints the bumper with the tape on it. I sent it to the body shop and he completely made the car look alot better. I will have pictures this Monday.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Teching In

I know in my state, Va., a rebuilt title is only issued if the vehicle was put back on the road and passed a state safety inspection after it was issued a salvage title. Salvage title is issued when the vehicle sustained, or need 75% or more of the actual cash value to be repaired (usually determined by an insurance company). Also, a salvage title can be issued if a car is stolen and recovered after the insurance company paid off the policy holder. The car is then usually sold at auction with a salvage history. I have seen, however, alot of fine cars with rebuilt or salvage history. Ya pretty much never can tell what really happened unless you speak to the guy who owned the car when it all went down. I saw one pic with a D-tag on the car and an FTC sticker so you probably know all this anyway.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Found this so here's a cut and paste for ya: All* Firehawks have a option code:

B4U : 1991-1992
R6V : 1993-1997
WU6 : 1999-2002

This RPO code can be found with the other option codes listed on a sticker in the glove box or the passenger side door jam.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

I know my V6 I had a few years ago was in an accident and the damage estimate was around $3,600 and the car was only worth 48ish to $5,000. The shop that did the repairs asked me if i wanted to get it fixed or he could redo the estimate to the point where the insurance would consider it totaled. I liked my car so i went ahead and got it fixed also the body shop did it to where i didnt have to pay the $500 deductible. What kind of person takes a nice clean firehawk and tapes a crack and sprays over it??? Very unprofessional if you ask me its not a little honda were talking about here its a limited edition trans am!!! respraying a front bumper could only cost you what about 300 dollars at a decent body shop? Idk if you ask me whoever sold it to you might of slapped some parts on it quickly got insurance money for it and sold it to you.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camaro981289
I know my V6 I had a few years ago was in an accident and the damage estimate was around $3,600 and the car was only worth 48ish to $5,000. The shop that did the repairs asked me if i wanted to get it fixed or he could redo the estimate to the point where the insurance would consider it totaled. I liked my car so i went ahead and got it fixed also the body shop did it to where i didnt have to pay the $500 deductible. What kind of person takes a nice clean firehawk and tapes a crack and sprays over it??? Very unprofessional if you ask me its not a little honda were talking about here its a limited edition trans am!!! respraying a front bumper could only cost you what about 300 dollars at a decent body shop? Idk if you ask me whoever sold it to you might of slapped some parts on it quickly got insurance money for it and sold it to you.
Yea. But there is nothing wrong with the frame.

Originally Posted by jcbache
Found this so here's a cut and paste for ya: All* Firehawks have a option code:

B4U : 1991-1992
R6V : 1993-1997
WU6 : 1999-2002

This RPO code can be found with the other option codes listed on a sticker in the glove box or the passenger side door jam.
KK. When I get it on monday from the body shop I will check it out. But i am sure, Its a firehawk.

I know in my state, Va., a rebuilt title is only issued if the vehicle was put back on the road and passed a state safety inspection after it was issued a salvage title. Salvage title is issued when the vehicle sustained, or need 75% or more of the actual cash value to be repaired (usually determined by an insurance company). Also, a salvage title can be issued if a car is stolen and recovered after the insurance company paid off the policy holder. The car is then usually sold at auction with a salvage history. I have seen, however, alot of fine cars with rebuilt or salvage history. Ya pretty much never can tell what really happened unless you speak to the guy who owned the car when it all went down. I saw one pic with a D-tag on the car and an FTC sticker so you probably know all this anyway.
hahahahahaha. I was really pissed of when i saw the tape. It screwed up the bumper even more. The body shop wasn't able to fix it. The surface is very rough now and I am just really pissed.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

But all of a sudden I really wanted to get some headers and keep it open headers for a while. I saw alot of bad *** trans am's that have open headers and are just insane.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That hood fitment is TERRIBLE. fawk.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteboy99
But all of a sudden I really wanted to get some headers and keep it open headers for a while. I saw alot of bad *** trans am's that have open headers and are just insane.
Open headers will fry your o2's and your car will run like crap and throw codes FWIW. Not to mention get you a ticket
Old 03-15-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Open headers will fry your o2's and your car will run like crap and throw codes FWIW. Not to mention get you a ticket
Yea. I don't wanna mess up the motor. Unless the insurance will pay for it and I can get a 427. lol
Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Um, OK.....I think you better give your Dad back his keys now......
Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Um, OK.....I think you better give your Dad back his keys now......
Uh this was just one of the things I had in mind.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm anxious to see if this car is in fact a real Firehawk. I know that if I owned a Firehawk, it would have a Firehawk hood on it.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OMGWTFBODY
That hood fitment is TERRIBLE. fawk.
What are you talking about? Its a Suncoast Raptor Hood. If you're nit-picking the way the nostils of the hood meet the nose, then you're digging on all Raptor Hoods because thats the way they fit.

Not to mention, its a Fiberglass, Aftermarket Hood. It's never gonna fit like OEM. This one actually looks pretty good from the photo posted.

Although, I agree with PowerShift408. If I owned a Firehawk, it would have a Firehawk Hood. End of story.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
I'm anxious to see if this car is in fact a real Firehawk. I know that if I owned a Firehawk, it would have a Firehawk hood on it.
This is a real firehawk. It used to have the firehawk hood but the guy that used to own it wrecked it and replaced the hood with a suncoast raptor hood.

Originally Posted by Mumbles
What are you talking about? Its a Suncoast Raptor Hood. If you're nit-picking the way the nostils of the hood meet the nose, then you're digging on all Raptor Hoods because thats the way they fit.

Not to mention, its a Fiberglass, Aftermarket Hood. It's never gonna fit like OEM. This one actually looks pretty good from the photo posted.

Although, I agree with PowerShift408. If I owned a Firehawk, it would have a Firehawk Hood. End of story.
^^ He's right....
Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why not, Black Firehawk wheels on a silver firehawk. Thats a bad *** idea. I see that on the internet and looks great.
because you will ruin a $1000 set of wheels. plus, firehawk wheels are true chrome, not the cheap plated **** on the other GM wheels.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

But the barrels on the Firehawk wheels have been known to flake/pit/bubble really bad. And no one would stand behind them & repair/replace them.
If they had been OE GM wheels, it wouldn't have been an issue.
But these don't deserve a black paint or powdercoat either.

Still need to see verification that this car has the WU6 code on the RPO sticker!!
Previous owner was a douche since they took the poor route out & replaced it with the Raptor. It deserved a real Firehawk hood replacement.
(Raptor is a good lookin' hood also, but in this case, it would have been best to retain the authenticity of the original equipment hood.)

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2000 Pontiac Trans am Firehawk