Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samson_420
6MPG < Damn!

Over 200k< Damn!

Good luck. . . . check all the things mentioned above for a start.
Did you read the thread? lol, he's missing an O2 sensor!

OP, I really want to hear your reaction when it's back and working again!
Old 03-22-2010, 01:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

****, I've been battling 6mpg for the last 7months or so. I can't find the damn problem, and have done all of the above. My 02 sensors foul out MF fast.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
****, I've been battling 6mpg for the last 7months or so. I can't find the damn problem, and have done all of the above. My 02 sensors foul out MF fast.
Keep your foot out of it JK thats near impossible with your numbers...
Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

wow 6 mpg's is pretty bad. I was getting like 13 mpg because I had a pretty bad exhaust leak at my exhaust manifolds (before I put headers on it) and my cats were extremely clogged. Now my gas mileage is back to normal after putting my headers on it and putting new high flow cats on the car.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Figured I'd post back here. Well I finally got the cash to go get a new sensor! Picked it up after school, got the car up on the ramps and went to install the sensor....and its too long! I have no clue what brand these headers are that my brother bought but the sensor port makes the motor mount get in the way of the sensor. I searched this and didn't find anything so I have two options 1. grind a little on the motor mount so the sensor will fit or 2 take the header out and attempt to weld in a new sensor port and just put a bolt with RTV in the old port. Which do you guys think is worth it? I can do both in shop but I only have 90mins to do it on friday in shop where I can use a plasma cutter and lift or welder and lift. I know I can do the motor mount but the header has me nervous as Im not the best welder.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get a longer sensor. The ones for corvettes are longer. I forget which one it is, but i know it will come up if you do a search. It might be the rear vette sensors... either way they were about the same price.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Launching!

I dont need a longer one, I need one with a shorty body on it so it will clear the motor mount. I just googled the vette sensor and the only difference I see is that the wire is longer?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Crap, missed the post. . . . .

Missing o2 sensor. . . . . WTF?

Yeah, that would do it. . . .200k or not. . . .lol
Old 03-25-2010, 04:52 AM
TECH Addict

Oh, now I see the problem. What kind of headers are they? I don't think there would be a problem if you just welded a new bung down lower.

As long as it didn't take much grinding then I bet you'd be okay going that route too. I'd just hate to grind too much there.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Launching!

My brother bought the headers when he owned the car for a short period, I'm not sure the make of them other then that they are shorty's. The bung thing may be a little tricky, I'd like to move it down but the cat is right there so it would have to go after the cat and wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the front o2 sensor? seeing as the fronts read before the cats and the back ones read after it?
Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you still have cats you need to put the O2 sensor before the cat. The front o2 sensors are necessary sensors, if you didn't have cats you could do away with the rear sensors. Where in wyoming do you live ?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah it's gotta be infront of the cat. I wouldnt go above the current bung and weld in a new one. I can only assume that the same rule that applys to widebands would also apply to narrowbands: Avoid placing them too close to the engine as the increased heat will reduce their life.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Well I searched all over town for a short o2 sensor and never found one. I tried putting a block of wood and a jack under the engine and pushing it up enough to get the sensor in but it wouldn't fit sadly. So I'm going to put the manifolds back on and either weld a new bung on the headers or just buy a set of nice long tubes, these headers are starting to **** me off anyways. Thanks for the help guys.

Conan- I live in Gillette. Are you from around here?
Old 03-27-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Revoroller
Well I searched all over town for a short o2 sensor and never found one. I tried putting a block of wood and a jack under the engine and pushing it up enough to get the sensor in but it wouldn't fit sadly. So I'm going to put the manifolds back on and either weld a new bung on the headers or just buy a set of nice long tubes, these headers are starting to **** me off anyways. Thanks for the help guys.

Conan- I live in Gillette. Are you from around here?
Not even close, I'm in parkcity UT. I can get to evanston WY in 45 min but your on the other side of the state. If you were closer I'd meet you to weld in another bung for the o2. If taking the header out isn't a problem take it to a exhaust shop they could relocate your o2 bung.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by conan
Not even close, I'm in parkcity UT. I can get to evanston WY in 45 min but your on the other side of the state. If you were closer I'd meet you to weld in another bung for the o2. If taking the header out isn't a problem take it to a exhaust shop they could relocate your o2 bung.
Thanks for the willingness to help. Its not a problem at all, I didnt even think about taking it to a shop and having it relocated, figured it was easier to do it myself. I think I'll do that today.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Revoroller
Thanks for the willingness to help. Its not a problem at all, I didnt even think about taking it to a shop and having it relocated, figured it was easier to do it myself. I think I'll do that today.
No problem, hope you get it figured out. When you get the 02 sensor in you may want to pull all the plugs and see how they look. With that much fuel consumption you probly have some fouled plugs.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Launching!

The plugs were actually good, I was expecting them to be fouled aswell. I got another bung welded on yesterday at midas for a couple bucks. BUT I managed to lose the bolt that was in the old bung and now I can't find a damn bolt/plug to fit in it so I'm having a friend weld a peice over it. Yesterday it took me an 2hrs to get the y-pipe down and header off and this morning I did it in about twenty minutes...gives ya an idea how many times I've had to take the damn thing down lol.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is it running better?
Old 03-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Oh yes, extremely better. It has way more torque and it doesn't hesitate off the line. It lit up the tires with ease earlier. Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. Now I can move onto some performance parts

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage