Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
This must be a joke lol
How so?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^ because couple guys claim to LOSE power instead of GAIN... I read on a thread somewher here that ur ECU needs to learn what's going on since u have more airflow... I think that's what's going on. Other than that the MAF may have been damaged... I myself have the K&N FIPK on my SS... Better than stock for sure. No lose. I gained.

^^^ loss*
Old 06-11-2012, 04:08 AM
Staging Lane

Rpm is correct.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, sounds like you were expecting the world from putting a lid on and got let down
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2win_SS
^^^^ because couple guys claim to LOSE power instead of GAIN... I read on a thread somewher here that ur ECU needs to learn what's going on since u have more airflow... I think that's what's going on. Other than that the MAF may have been damaged... I myself have the K&N FIPK on my SS... Better than stock for sure. No lose. I gained.

In my case it's not a claim its an absolute fact that the car does not have the same jump off the line as it did. Now is it the lid or something else thats the question I have. I think the ECU thing is where I am going to start, my question is my negative battery cable was disconnected overnight because I also replaced my powersteering pump so would that not have allowed the ecu to learn? I highly doubt my MAF is damaged the 3 sensors are intact inside and the MAF was not abused at all during my lid install but I will unplug it and give it a shot. I am in the process of moving so not totally sure when I will be able to do any of this.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,198 Posts

Originally Posted by black79transam
In my case it's not a claim its an absolute fact that the car does not have the same jump off the line as it did.
Did you verify this with back-to-back track runs, with equal traction and the addition of the lid being the only change, with a recorded loss in MPH or increase in ET? Or did you see the loss on back-to-back dyno pulls with no other changes? If not, then I really don't see how this is fact. I dispute this being a direct result of the air lid, because after 13+ years of air lids being on the market for these cars, the average gain has always been between 7-13rwhp with an aftermarket lid. If you actually lost power/acceleration, then it was not the lid, otherwise everyone with a lid would have this problem.

If you had the battery disconnected then some learned parameters may have been lost, and it will just take some time and miles to re-learn. This may be why the car behaved a bit different.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Launching!

No track runs but the last 3 days driving it are evidence enough. In my last post I wasn't trying to say its the lid I was trying to illustrate my point that I can for sure feel a difference and it is not positive. I assume I did something wrong in the install or as you have said it perhaps it lost its parameters. This is my first pcm car that I have owned and done anything other than change the oil.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wel the lid may not be the source... RPM WS6 asked if u changed anything else... Have you?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Launching!

All I have changed is the lid, fixed the ac vacum line, air filter, and the power steering pump.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Only thing I can think of is the ECU. but if u have drove it a few days already it should have learned by now. I'm all outa ideas. I'm sure someone with Lil more knowledge will chime in. Best of luck to you... Hope u sort it out. Keep us updated.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Somebody mentioned getting crc maf cleaner and giving that a shot
Old 06-11-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wel u said u didn't drop or damage it... So how would it get dirty just by removal? Unless ur engine bay or coupler had dust all over it and got into the MAF... but ya give it a shot. MAF cleaner wouldn't HURT... just HELP... many ppl dnt clean therz. I didn't use it when I 1st got my truck...(I was 16) but now I keep everything on all my car maintained...
Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Launching!

I'm sure it never has been cleaned before and it did spend the night on the bench with a rag over it. Anywhere I could get an oem replacement should I get to that?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a MAF? I would just jump the gun and BUY one... I'm sure u have a buddy with a Fbody willing to help. Swap the MAF and see if it helps. That's what I would do if possible... Dnt go and throw money away assuming it's one thing when it's really not... You can WASTE ALOT of money doin this... Ask me how I know lol

^^^ WOULDN'T JUMP THE GUN!!! My bad
Old 06-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Actually no friends with any fun cars newer then 1972 Haha my 79 was new to them
Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
What is this "IAC sensor" the OP is referring to? These cars have an IAC motor/valve, not a sensor. I'm guessing he's referring to the IAT sensor, that's the one that attaches to the air lid and would need to be moved to a new lid.
Autozone calls it the iac sensor :/
Old 06-11-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Black79transam... Sorry to hear u have no Fbody around to switch with... That would be easy process of elimination... Try to clean it 1st...

Theblacknightls1... If they are talking about the sensor that goes to the lid... They are Wrong... If they are talking about the part that goes to the TB... they are Wrong... Far as I know it is a IAC motor. IAT sensor... Only thing I trust at Autozone is Oil and soap for my car LOL... everything else I get at the Stealership.(dealership) I trust GM parts on my GM car...
Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Teching In

I dont have the prob. the OP had but I need to get a new MAF sensor and the only brand I can find is car-done and delphi(I think) or something like that
Is there a certain brand MAF that is good or bad
It runs rough but when I unplug the MAF it runs smooth so I know its the MAF
Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would go GM... Delphi... If u plan on tune soon and future mods. Go for z06 MAF. U will need pigtail and tune for
Sure to get ur tables right. Jus my 2 cents
Old 06-13-2012, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kujo79
I dont have the prob. the OP had but I need to get a new MAF sensor and the only brand I can find is car-done and delphi(I think) or something like that
Is there a certain brand MAF that is good or bad
It runs rough but when I unplug the MAF it runs smooth so I know its the MAF
SLP, Granatelli etc are your good brands of MAF..... I had to buy some strange name brand for my V6 car just the other day since apparently they don't make performance MAF for V6's LOL

Quick Reply: SLP lid = slower car