New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004 | 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Brent, I'd agree with you but only if its a 01-02 ss or ws6. they'll put down around 320-340 rwhp with the occasional freak if im not mistaken ( correct me if im wrong im still a newbie and knowledge is power). stock 03 cobras will put down 366-380 rwhp from the factory. thats on average a 30-40 rwhp difference. a good driver behind the wheel of a newer stock ls1 is going to need to hook extremely well off the line and hit second flawlessly to make it a good race. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but i can only agree with you so much.
wait a tick...why are we talking about stock vs. stock? if we all kept our cars stock would there be any reason for a tech site? besides, if a 03 cobra is treated to an aftermarket exhaust system, pulley upgrade, set of sticky *** tires and a 50 shot of giggle gas, its gonna run 10's all day long.
i believe Unit213 could chime in on this one.
~T
Old 01-05-2004 | 02:58 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I've seen plenty of 03 Cobra's running mid 13's at the track. People just can't drive. In reality, a LS1 isn't going to beat an 03 Cobra.
Old 01-05-2004 | 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slik98z
LS1Brent, I'd agree with you but only if its a 01-02 ss or ws6. they'll put down around 320-340 rwhp with the occasional freak if im not mistaken ( correct me if im wrong im still a newbie and knowledge is power). stock 03 cobras will put down 366-380 rwhp from the factory. thats on average a 30-40 rwhp difference. a good driver behind the wheel of a newer stock ls1 is going to need to hook extremely well off the line and hit second flawlessly to make it a good race. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but i can only agree with you so much.
wait a tick...why are we talking about stock vs. stock? if we all kept our cars stock would there be any reason for a tech site? besides, if a 03 cobra is treated to an aftermarket exhaust system, pulley upgrade, set of sticky *** tires and a 50 shot of giggle gas, its gonna run 10's all day long.
~T
Actually some 03's are dynoing stock around 355 rwhp stock. Stock against stock with the same driver the Cobra will win though. Especially at a roll. Still like my WS6 though. Then again it's not stock. lol

As for that STI/Cobra article. Talk about playing towards the money. My bet is they babied the Cobra and dropped the STI at about 6 grand. You do that more than a few times and you're talking about major money replacing your drive train. I've seen it. The Cobra and LS-1 lightly modded will run 12's all day long without abusing the vehicle much.
Old 01-05-2004 | 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

good point about the sti/cobra article. i didnt believe that horse **** for anything. i thought 03 cobras were dynoing more than that? not much more but a lil more. as i was saying a newer ls1 will fair rather well, especially the 02 ss and ws6's. mine howeer isn't gonna fair so well without the help of some juice.
Old 01-05-2004 | 04:24 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

as i was saying a newer ls1 will fair rather well, especially the 02 ss and ws6's.
And how will it be any different with a SS or WS6 as compared to a Z28 or Formula?
Old 01-05-2004 | 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
And how will it be any different with a SS or WS6 as compared to a Z28 or Formula?
If we're talking stock the SS's, WS6's came with a better flowing exhaust and manifold (I believe) Not to mention suspension and a few other goodies. Not really much but the exhaust helps I guess.
Old 01-05-2004 | 05:46 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

The whole point is SS vs Z28 and WS6 vs Formula has been bantered to death.

They aren't any quicker/faster. Do a search.
Old 01-05-2004 | 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

The whole point is SS vs Z28 and WS6 vs Formula has been bantered to death.

They aren't any quicker/faster. Do a search.
No offense but completely stock they are. Just barely. The horsepower, and then power to weight proves it. Once you start modding it doesn't matter though.
Old 01-05-2004 | 07:30 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dal1as
No offense but completely stock they are. Just barely. The horsepower, and then power to weight proves it. Once you start modding it doesn't matter though.
Actually my friend, they aren't faster...at all. Endless timeslips, vids, dyno results, etc prove it thousands and thousands of times over.
Old 01-05-2004 | 07:34 PM
Administrator

~T
You're right about a pulley, chip, exhaust, & a 50 shot putting an '03 Cobra in the 10's. The only stipulation is that it has to be driven to a 10. There aren't many people out there who can really drive. All those mods don't gaurantee a 10 second time slip. Any idiot could run an 11.5 @ 124mph with them though.
Old 01-05-2004 | 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

I've seen plenty of 03 Cobra's running mid 13's at the track. People just can't drive. In reality, a LS1 isn't going to beat an 03 Cobra.
The focus here seems to be on straight ahead speed. And, I do agree that the stock '03 or '04 Cobra is faster than my car, a 2002 SS, which only has a TSP lid and the SLP 1LE suspension option.

I have, however, found that the '03 and '04 Cobra's have problems sustaining speed in turns. Big problems. I have defeated the '03/'04 Cobra whenever turns are involved. The Cobra does get off the line well and leave me a bit behind - until the turns show up. I can see Cobra drivers struggling to hold the road as they shave speed that I don't have to. I always get by them in or just past the turns. I do want to emphasize that I don't do this any more; I don't street race any more. However, my point is that, from my experience anyway, the Cobra appears a bit nose heavy and the average driver appears to have problems holding speed in the turns.
Old 01-06-2004 | 07:29 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

MM&FF did a comparo when the 03 had just came out against an anniversary SS. It didn't have any SLP options, just the basic SS package. The Cobra put up the better numbers, but the SS wasn't far behind. I wrote them a letter, which they actually published 2 issues later. I mentioned they didn't have the 1LE option, the stickier tires and the 345hp package, all of which *might* have added up to a make a difference.

Again, you might better a Cobra in the corners, but those cars are setup well, and if someone can drive, it's not that easy. Just my .02
Old 01-06-2004 | 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unit213
Actually my friend, they aren't faster...at all. Endless timeslips, vids, dyno results, etc prove it thousands and thousands of times over.

No problem, I'm just going by the fact that the WS6 and SS have a free-er flowing exhaust and manifold. The difference in weight could make up for it but I'd bet money that if you matched the RPM's and speed on a Z-28 and SS at a 40 roll the SS would slightly pull on the Z-28 due to the free-er flowing exhaust. Or is G.M. lying about the exhaust. Timeslips and dyno results are all good but I'd have to see a stock one of each on the same dyno to agree. To much variables otherwise.
Old 01-06-2004 | 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

reasoning behind me saying the ss and ws6 are quicker is, after seeing my buddy dyno his 02 ws6 right after my 98z28 i was shocked to see what that damn thing put down. i have nothing to go by in respect to a 02 formula or anything so it was a quick observation. my point being however, newer ls1's not the 98/99's would give a 03 cobra a run for its money. the STI, honestly to me, its a joke to me to say its running 03 cobra numbers
Old 01-06-2004 | 06:13 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

wow... unit... i'll let you take control of this thread. I don't even feel like starting to educate
Old 01-06-2004 | 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow... unit... i'll let you take control of this thread. I don't even feel like starting to educate
Look, if someone can tell me why the WS6 and SS is not faster even though they have free-er flowing exhaust, etc. than that is fine. I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm going by pure data. Saying they are all exactly the same speed doesn't make sense to me when 2 of the models breath better.
Old 01-06-2004 | 07:14 PM
Administrator

The WS6 and SS exhaust may give you 5rwhp extra on a good day. Big deal. I'm telling you guys that it's FACT that SS's and WS6's are not any faster. I'm referring to cars of the same model year. We all know 01's-02's run stronger.

I mean no disrepect by saying this, but I see a lot of new members posting which is a good thing. Some of you guys are a bit mis-informed though. The good news is that you're at the right place for all the info.
Old 01-06-2004 | 09:07 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Basically, the variances between each vehicle off the assembly line can be 5 hp between a 2 identical Z28's. Why else do some people dyno under 300rwhp, when others are past 320?

The intake manifold is the same on the Z28/Formula/TransAm/SS/WS6/Firehawk. The WS6 airbox (under the filter) is larger than the SS though, which might be why you are thinking a different manifold. The only other intake difference is 02 SS's could be had with the blackwing lid. 02 Firehawks had that standard.

The differences in exhaust output/flow are very neglegable, and in reality, won't show any real improvment. GM had to do something to make it other than a hood/wing/wheel package. Don't get me wrong, the SS/WS6/FH look killer, but the power isn't anything other than your basic LS1.

The differences in the 01/02's are obivously the LS6 intake, different cam, different exhaust manifolds ('00), and no EGR. There is a breakdown year for year floating around here. Just do a search. You'll see the SS/WS6 vs Z28/Formula has been beat.
Old 01-07-2004 | 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rctreece
Now dont give me crap over this but I will not be able to mod the car too much do to the wife. I have had alot of plans for mods and she shot most of the down As long as I dont go into the engine then I should be ok but she is bitchin about headers. I had then on a 68 GTO and she hated them.
Man, if it's your car and not hers, don't worry about it.
Headers are essential if your going to do any real mods to your engine.
Old 01-07-2004 | 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

did some homework. so ill correct how i word my comments. Stock ls1 vs. stock 03 cobra...any model is going to fall short just a bit in a tilt with a 03 cobra. Doesnt seem like by much though. however, from searching other mustang tech sites i found that 2/3's of the 03 cobras people have had dynoed are putting down more than 355 rwhp. my average i figured out was 363. not that that matters too much but i just wanted to make a point that i wasn't too far off on the 360 range, not bad for a c student in applied physics and descreit math! haha

but hell who keeps their cars stock these days? I didnt want to mod my car, then i found out i could hear the fart cans inside the car so i changed my exhaust to drone them out. that didnt work, so i threw in subs, that didnt helped so i removed the cats, looking to install some lt's and use a 100 shot to stay a quartermile in front just so i dont have to hear that god awful BAGURRRRRRRRR fart can.