Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TB Bump Stop Mod. Question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC Guy
Not really...slack in the gas pedal and cable will give false readings. Have a helper sit in the drivers seat and mash the pedal, then take the voltmeter reading. You want 4.69 volts DC or less. 4.7 volts will throw a SES trouble light.
ok.. i just figured that when your pedal hits the floor (WOT) its hitting the floor. So i guess when the pedal will not go down anymore its because of the TB Bump Stop? See what im saying? IF your pedal hits the floor you have no more room on the fllor board to go anymore. So, why would grinding some metal off your TB give you more pedal? Not trying to sound stupid but do you know what im saying? Or are we talking about microns here?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Just thinking out loud...

Would this mod do ANY good with the new drive by wire throttle bodies??? Seems like the electronics would just override the grinding of the bump stop, or would they? Just getting ready to do this and thought about this...didn't wanna waste my time!! Or anyone elses with the DBW TB!
Old 01-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
ok.. i just figured that when your pedal hits the floor (WOT) its hitting the floor. So i guess when the pedal will not go down anymore its because of the TB Bump Stop? See what im saying? IF your pedal hits the floor you have no more room on the fllor board to go anymore. So, why would grinding some metal off your TB give you more pedal? Not trying to sound stupid but do you know what im saying? Or are we talking about microns here?
Not microns, but thousands of a inch depending on how much you're off. Slop in the gas pedal assembly and its cable will give false readings as well as the carpet bunched up, not allowing full pedel travel. Make sure everything is clear and then have a helper mash the pedel. Take the voltmeter reading at this point, then grind/file the bump stop as needed.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On my 98, the throttle body was only opening up about 3/4. I noticed a pretty good difference when I did it. I also shortened my EGR tube, because it's directly behind the throttle body and there is no reason for it to be that long. Just file the stop until the throttle body is physically all the way open. Stop and check voltage periodically to not exceed 4.7VDC. If you go further than all the way open, then it will be partially closed when it is floored. You want the blade of the throttle body all the way open when it is floored. Don't measure your success by volts (just don't go over 4.7VDC or it will throw codes!). The idea of this mod isn't to increase voltage from the TPS, but to get the throttle body to open all the way. Take a look at it with a buddy holding it to the floor. If it's already going all the way open, there is no reason to do this mod. Make sense? Good luck! Oh, and as stated before - make sure you use a buddy to hold it to the floor. I got different readings when I opened it up by hand.

Quick Reply: TB Bump Stop Mod. Question....