Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSRA the best !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastsspr
I know maybe is hard to belive but we have all the prove (Time slips)My friend car is at the track like 2 to 3 times a month it has over 75 pases in the 13s and the day we tested the SSRA we do it at the track before and after with slp CAI to make a fair competition .The FRA is a good unit but honestly it can't make a true ram air efect.Is logic the lower scoop make huge diference in desings when you see both of them.And it a heat socker mean less HP .
In my opinion it worth the investment 2 times with results we had .
See BIGDAVE I told you it was for real I already have a SLP Lid, but this SSRA is going on. I agree those ET & MPH gains seem high though. I can totally see and theorize why there would be some gain though. I wouldn't throw the so quick until someone else does a similar comparison
I've seen cars pick up 2mph on a given day at the track with cooler air coming in the evening but it still sounds like a good mod to me.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not doubting that there aren't any gains to be seen with this mod but the gains that were reported here, I can't believe would be typical. My guess would be between .05-.1 over the fra mod and maybe 1 mph. I think it would be well worth the money even if it only provides a gain of 1 tenth.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi big dave!! Remember we only test it with slp cai,is were we so the gain.But i think is a very good idea if you have the FTRA to complete it with the lower part that AL make for the FTRA.With the true ram air you really can tell that the car pull harder above 4k rpms.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slt200mph
how much heat soak will it have considering it is in front of the motor and radiator in the moving air....dont bogart that joint pass it over.. these cars got enough plastic on em already why u want 2 add more...go stainless dude..
I can think of 3 reasons why I'd want it over stainless steel.
1. It matches the rest of the car. If you open the hood you can't even tell it's there.
2. No heat soak.
3. Most importantly, it's lighter. I've held the SLP and SSRA in each hand, and the SSRA is lighter. Same goes with the FTRA.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1LEFirehawk
I can think of 3 reasons why I'd want it over stainless steel.
1. It matches the rest of the car. If you open the hood you can't even tell it's there.
2. No heat soak.
3. Most importantly, it's lighter. I've held the SLP and SSRA in each hand, and the SSRA is lighter. Same goes with the FTRA.
if you can see it when you open the hood, you did something wrong
Old 01-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
if you can see it when you open the hood, you did something wrong
Not if you remove the shrouds like you have to with the SSRA.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly, the gains that were seen with the ssra are actually above what is essentially a slp ram air system? A system that is similar if not exactly like the ftra. And the only difference between the SLP ram air/FTRA and the SSRA is the scoop? So you're saying that the scoop gave over 2 tenths and 2 mph I'm sorry, I hate to be contradictory but I'd have to see that for myself. It's good that the tests were conducted on the same day, and several passes were made with each setup, thus eliminating different variables, but I'm still finding it hard to believe. When I was testing the differences between the factory lid and an aftermarket high flow lid, I pretty much tested the same way these tests were conducted, but after 3 passes with each lid, I then switched back to the original to see if the gains would dissappear...they did.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by big dave
Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly, the gains that were seen with the ssra are actually above what is essentially a slp ram air system? A system that is similar if not exactly like the ftra. And the only difference between the SLP ram air/FTRA and the SSRA is the scoop? So you're saying that the scoop gave over 2 tenths and 2 mph I'm sorry, I hate to be contradictory but I'd have to see that for myself. It's good that the tests were conducted on the same day, and several passes were made with each setup, thus eliminating different variables, but I'm still finding it hard to believe. When I was testing the differences between the factory lid and an aftermarket high flow lid, I pretty much tested the same way these tests were conducted, but after 3 passes with each lid, I then switched back to the original to see if the gains would dissappear...they did.
I didn't know it was that much better than the SLP. Hey, when I bought the SSRA I noticed Austin Performance also sells a scoop for the SLP and FTRA kits. Maybe the scoop could help those kits. Here's the link for pics. www.austinperformanceinc.com
Old 01-06-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Geeze, I cant beleive that this lame thread is still goin on..heat soak..weight..get a frickin grip guys..there is not a tenth of difference between two systems..put you hand on the ftra and see how "hot" it is compared to the ssra..weight..if u r worried about 2 pounds u need 2 quit smokin that $hit..plastic always weighs less..needless 2 say less durable..u can do runs 20 minutes apart and get different times without changing anything..did u check air temp..humidity..barometric pressure..air dinsity???get what ever 1 u like and rock on with it..there isnt a dime differnce in any of them..
Old 01-06-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't bought the SSRA yet, so how much did you pick up with that FTRA? What times & mph are you running with your current full weight setup BTW? The LS1 wants to breath better and get rid of the exhaust alot quicker, especially to accomodate the high flow heads. I just think on a bolt on car this "Looks" like a good mod to do, Fred
Old 01-07-2004, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

how does this SSRA fit up with a A4 tranny cooler any problems with summer city traffic heat on trans temps or oil temps? Trans temp would bother me more since that would spell death.

anyone log city A4 trans oil temps with one of these on?