Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise at high RPM

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazard
Trouble Shooting: After this plug install if you hear a loud ticking sound when the engine is under load then you should check your gaskets between the AIR pipe and exhaust manifold.

Also, if you hear a ticking sound all the time then you probably have a loose spark plug wire boot on the spark plug.
the Air pipe i removed was on the passenger side, the noise was on the driverside, also i replaced the AIR pipe gasket during the plug change.

Oddly the spark plug was actually loose not the wire, trust me i checked!

Where is the cutout placed? could the butterfly on that be loose and rattling?

Next id do is pull off the valve covers and see if a valve spring is cracked.
Cutout in just before the muffler facing the rear. it seems to be tight. Any tips on removing the valve covers? never done it before, and would a cracked spring only make noise at high rpm?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
I'm gonna guess its knocking/pinging. That MPH is pretty crappy. I've made a few crappy runs and have yet to run only 101. I shift about 5800 myself.
honestly i only shifted at 5700 in 1st gear, 2nd and 3rd closer to 5000because of the noise.

i was also wondering how smooth idle is supposed to be? only asking cause once every 10 seconds or so i get extra movement in the shifter (engine if looking under the hood) is that normal? i just went through a tank of gas with seafoam and added lucas oil treatment to the oil with no change, prob put 200 miles on her since adding them.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk489
the Air pipe i removed was on the passenger side, the noise was on the driverside, also i replaced the AIR pipe gasket during the plug change.

Oddly the spark plug was actually loose not the wire, trust me i checked!
I tried lol
Old 05-25-2010, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazard
I tried lol
Thanks i appreciate it, ill take any help i can get!
Old 07-16-2010, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bossz28-1
its has to much timing
I just started logging with my preditor and at WOT around 4600 rpm(where i hear the noise) im getting 20 degrees of spark advance and 3.8 degrees of knock retard. it shows 26 degrees of SA just before the knock. is my SA normal before the KR? also im assuming the stange noise is causing the KR but still have no ideas what it could be. Id post the log but it says its an invalid file.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Teching In

I had a similar noise and situation as you. it ended up being both of my cats going bad. i noticed the "gravel hitting the car" noise mostly on the driver's side and had high RPM knock almost exactly the same as you. eventually the passenger side cat broke up so bad that it sounded like rod knock but sporadic. scared the crap out of me till i figured out what it was. i just had both cats replaced under that special service agreement yesterday and all of the noise plus some more that i never realized were there are gone. knock is gone now as well.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my issue was cheap gas so i bumped up to 93.. prob solved
Old 07-18-2010, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Driftunit
my issue was cheap gas so i bumped up to 93.. prob solved
im in Maryland and all i use is 93.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ex nihilo
I had a similar noise and situation as you. it ended up being both of my cats going bad. i noticed the "gravel hitting the car" noise mostly on the driver's side and had high RPM knock almost exactly the same as you. eventually the passenger side cat broke up so bad that it sounded like rod knock but sporadic. scared the crap out of me till i figured out what it was. i just had both cats replaced under that special service agreement yesterday and all of the noise plus some more that i never realized were there are gone. knock is gone now as well.
'

i hope its not too early but......"Thank You!" i havent checked yet but thats the best possible diagnosis that ive heard. it makes so much sense...... at least for the moment.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise at high RPM