See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear Differential Fluid Change Interval

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i would feel more comfortable having the cover pulled and my parts examined for wear.

this isnt the first ive heard that theres no recommended change interval for these cars though its obviously adviseable.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked a Chevrolet dealership mechanic that I know, he has been with GM for 18 years. He said he has never seen a rear differential go bad because the fluid had not been changed. He said the only reason they go is if they leak and get low on the fluid, or the F body is modded to the point it overpowers the rear diff, and then the owner should upgrade anyways. But he said he has never seen a case where "old fluid" caused any type of failure or even wear on the parts inside the differential.

Now he did say if he had a lot of money invested in a car and was racing it all the time, he would be like you guys and change it every 10k or so, just so that he could look for wear on the parts inside than for the sake of changing the fluid.

He did say make absolutely sure you use the GM additive, if you don't the rear diff will fail.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
My question is how much oil does the rear diff and manual gearbox hold in an 02? I'm planning on replacing both at my next oil change as the car has 22k and I have no idea if it was ever changed before I purchased it.
-Mike-
The rear diff if it is the posi unit will take1.75qts plus the 4oz of additive from a GM dealer- the t56 tran takes 4 qts of dexron-III auto trans fliud! I forgot to add that rear fluid is SAE 75W-90 synthetic. The non posi unit uses 1.75 qts of same fluid minus the additive- This is all from the Helms manual
Old 07-15-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
My question is how much oil does the rear diff and manual gearbox hold in an 02? I'm planning on replacing both at my next oil change as the car has 22k and I have no idea if it was ever changed before I purchased it.
-Mike-
It holds about 1.75 to 2 quarts. It depends on how level the car is. I am installing a AAM cover this weekend. I am painting it RED right now.

Bill
Old 07-15-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I changed my rear end fluid about 2 weeks ago. It was the 1st time i've done that since i've owned the car. I bought the car with 21000 on it and changed it just before 30000.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im curious why the factory cover has a magnet and aftermarket girdles dont.at least my mac doesnt.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Angry

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
im curious why the factory cover has a magnet and aftermarket girdles dont.at least my mac doesnt.
My SLP (AAM) has a magnet but SLP wants you to grind on the rearend to help oil cooling. You have to take half the rear end off before doing the grinding.

Bill
Old 07-16-2004, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my babys get new trans and diff fluid every 15000 miles why take chances? (especialy with a $2500 moser 9")
Old 07-16-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sscamaro02
The reason there isn't a drain plug in the rear,is it don't have to be changed.I have been driving for 53 years and have never changed rear end fluid. I have never had a problem either. The same goes for the stick trans.
a manual is a closed transmission, so they don't need to have fluid changed. and if your gears are not wining, a rear diff fluid change is pretty pointless as well.

car-modders are a different story. you are probably more likely to hear noise in either the trans or the rear diff much more often than a near-stock car.

once again, another nice thing about keeping your car mostly stock

Quick Reply: Rear Differential Fluid Change Interval