New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro vs. bird

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004 | 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

i love my m6, but a auto sounds like what you need if its your daily driver. i drove mine every day to lsu and back in traffic 40miles a day and had no issues with the 4.10's but since a auto is more your type, all you need is my mods less the clutch and add a good torque converter around 3600
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:56 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by fbody enthusiast
I realize a stronger rear end would be necessary. But don't you think reving it to 6 and dumping it with a pair of slicks on the back, and seeing it catch and break would be awesome. I would love to see it. and what a display of power. Better hope it happens with alot of people around.
can be done with an a4 and more consistant then the m6. you can get away with alot more with the a4 at the strip then the m6. but if you have a nice clutch and 12 bolt then 6k launches are

-edit: 2k post
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:04 PM
Teching In

Wicked cool without a doubt. Never seen it happen but would love to. We have drags for so called high school students and it would be sweet to display that power down there. Though a new rear end after would be shitty to replace. But for the strip i think i will go with the auto. Consistency seems to play a huge factor in success down there, though i have never actually raced on the strip. But i have watched, soon enough my time will come.
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:09 PM
Teching In

say jrp where did you happen upon that quote of yours. I find it, well i suppose, interesting?
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:10 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

a4 + stall + few bolt ons and you should be hitting mid 12's easy . just becareful, modding and track racing gets addicting
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
i love my m6, but a auto sounds like what you need if its your daily driver. i drove mine every day to lsu and back in traffic 40miles a day and had no issues with the 4.10's but since a auto is more your type, all you need is my mods less the clutch and add a good torque converter around 3600

Do you think a 4400 would be too high?
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:12 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

say jrp where did you happen upon that quote of yours. I find it, well i suppose, interesting?
found it on a vette forum .

and when you get into internals you'll understand it more
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrp
a4 + stall + few bolt ons and you should be hitting mid 12's easy . just becareful, modding and track racing gets addicting

I can see it getting adicting easily and very quickly. What exactly are you thinking with the bolt ons?
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:14 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

thats up there, usually guys with 4k+ stalls run a 230+ cam which has a relatively high powerband. a 3500-4k is a good medium for daily driving, strip, and most decent sized cams.
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrp
found it on a vette forum .

and when you get into internals you'll understand it more
I understand what you are saying. And being a girl I do find it amusing.
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:15 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

I can see it getting adicting easily and very quickly. What exactly are you thinking with the bolt ons?
lid, catback, long tubes, ls6/lsx, UD pulley, ported TB, ect. for an a4 though a stall is the first mod to get.
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:16 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

I understand what you are saying. And being a girl I do find it amusing.
. what kinda mods does your BF have on his car. seeing as how you already have an ls1 in the family you should be a quick learner.
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrp
. what kinda mods does your BF have on his car. seeing as how you already have an ls1 in the family you should be a quick learner.

Well so far he has done almost all of the free mods except pulling the EGR. He has an airlid and he pulled the seats out of the back of the car for weight loss. We are poor kids right now so it is all saving and dreaming, but the longer we wait the better info we find and have to use at our advantage. Soon though the air pump is going in the car and he hopes to get tires.
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:25 PM
Teching In

Though we do have a friend of ours with a black z and he has done a few free mods to his as well as air lid, headers, and currently working on exhaust.
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:32 PM
TECH Veteran

great stall but a bit extreme for a daily driver gas mileage will you car will gas. and you would have serious traction problems with a stall that big if you bump it to hard you can run hight to mid 11's without touching the motor internals with a stall that big. with a 3600 you can get 11's with all the boltons and 3.73 gears and nittos
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:36 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Well so far he has done almost all of the free mods except pulling the EGR. He has an airlid and he pulled the seats out of the back of the car for weight loss. We are poor kids right now so it is all saving and dreaming, but the longer we wait the better info we find and have to use at our advantage. Soon though the air pump is going in the car and he hopes to get tires.
cool, gotta start somewhere. i havent done any free mods yet, too lazy. when you are ready to spend money on mods be sure to ask about them first. the rule is: ask questions first, spend money later. trust me when i say it'll save you money . and try and look at the overall goals of your car as well as it will cut down on unneccessary or overpriced mods to meet the same goal.

and if you dont already have them:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?category=0
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins..._documents.htm
http://www.densoiridium.com/howtoreadusedplugs.php
http://dodds.cc/chad/garage/z28/ls1_sounds/
http://www.engh.com/camaross/misc/pa...l/default.aspx
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
great stall but a bit extreme for a daily driver gas mileage will you car will gas. and you would have serious traction problems with a stall that big if you bump it to hard you can run hight to mid 11's without touching the motor internals with a stall that big. with a 3600 you can get 11's with all the boltons and 3.73 gears and nittos

Well I have to say that i really don't know a heck of alot about stall converters. My BF just always said 44 was good, so naturally i believe it. He is right but I do think the 3600 would be better for daily driving. I need some gas at least! But it will still hit my goal with the other mods and thats what I want. Any idea on pricings for the 3600 stall?
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:38 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

another reason ls1tech rules is because you can talk with chicks about cars, if you dont know what im talking about go to ls1.com, venture at your own risk.
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrp
cool, gotta start somewhere. i havent done any free mods yet, too lazy. when you are ready to spend money on mods be sure to ask about them first. the rule is: ask questions first, spend money later. trust me when i say it'll save you money . and try and look at the overall goals of your car as well as it will cut down on unneccessary or overpriced mods to meet the same goal.

and if you dont already have them:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?category=0
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins..._documents.htm
http://www.densoiridium.com/howtoreadusedplugs.php
http://dodds.cc/chad/garage/z28/ls1_sounds/
http://www.engh.com/camaross/misc/pa...l/default.aspx
Those are some great sites! Full of awesome information. I suppose I will share with the BF, but I want you all to know one day my car WILL be faster than his. Even if he dosen't believe me!
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:44 PM
Teching In

Wait wait wait! What do you mean venture at your own risk. Will they eat you alive over there or what?