Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pinging and kr

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pinging and kr

My ls1 sucks. I have tons of pinging and around 2-7 degree's of kr and part throttle and wot and at any rpm. My plugs are black so I did two treatments of Seafoam using 1/3 a can each time and made and nice smoke show but still have lots of kr and pinging. I have a catch can to prevent more carbon buildup but should I just continues using more Seafoam until it stops pinging? I know I'm gonna have to go to the dealer and be a dick to get things down but would like any advice.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by rich Z
My ls1 sucks. I have tons of pinging and around 2-7 degree's of kr and part throttle and wot and at any rpm. My plugs are black so I did two treatments of Seafoam using 1/3 a can each time and made and nice smoke show but still have lots of kr and pinging. I have a catch can to prevent more carbon buildup but should I just continues using more Seafoam until it stops pinging? I know I'm gonna have to go to the dealer and be a dick to get things down but would like any advice.
The Seafoam will not help in your situation. You have an excessively rich fuel mixture, and that will contribute to detonation. You didn't say what type of plug you are using, either. Fuel treatments and such, are a temporary bandaid. What modifications have been done to the car? You need to check all of your sensors. Have them check the fuel pressure.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Launching!

First- are there any other modifications to the car?
Next- what plugs are you running?
Have you checked the intake tract for vacuum leaks?
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?
Old 01-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sawedoff
The Seafoam will not help in your situation. You have an excessively rich fuel mixture, and that will contribute to detonation. You didn't say what type of plug you are using, either. Fuel treatments and such, are a temporary bandaid. What modifications have been done to the car? You need to check all of your sensors. Have them check the fuel pressure.
The black plugs could also be from oil either blowing past the rings, or in through the PCV...

(such was the problem on mine- installed a catch can- an no more black plugs)
Old 01-14-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

The stock plugs.AC Delco are in there with only 14k miles on the car. The pinging just gets worse everyday and down goes the power. One would think I have a V-6 and not a LS1. For mods I have taken all them off. I had a lid and a predator tune but removed these for going to the dealer, which I have seen lots of. They told me they reflashed the pcm so any tune it just stock now. It doesn't matter what the temp is outside. I have been in 40 degree's in the desert and still pings. I have tried every brand of gas. I drive way to much to try 100 octane and did that a long time ago and that didn't help at all. I am gettting new plugs in the mail tomorrow, NGK-55's. The car has piston slap that takes 5-10 mins to go away but uses almost no oil in the last 9k miles. Not enough to have to add any.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

I have a fuel tester myself but don't know how to relieve the pressure so I can test the fuel pressure? When I do rev the car up I hear a loud sucking sound when the rev go back down? I have a vacuum gauge tester too so how can I test for vacuum leaks or can I test for those with this gauge?
Old 01-14-2004, 09:51 PM

You will then almost definitely have a bad sensor or some type of problem with fuel pressure. You didn't say anything about oil consumption. I figured that if that was also in the mix you would have stated that. By any chance, you weren't running an aftermarket low temp thermostat, were you? You can try new plugs, and they will help to some degree, but I don't think that will solve anything until, you find out what is causing them to foul.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

I have checked for codes with the predator and none. I think I might have a bad knock sensor. I have heard about others with tons of kr having a bad kr sensor. I'm running the stock thermostat. One thing to point out is for a while I was using a slp maf and that made it run rich at wot but kept my lt's at negative. I also have had a two times of rough starting and surging. One time the car kept suring down to 400 rpm and back up to 1500 when I gave any throttle. Any idea's? I just don't have the time to go see the dealer right now.