New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Input Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Alternator is at a pretty hard-to-get-to location on the underside.
Might not be so easy to 'just take it A-zone', unless you take the whole car & they test the system while it's running in the parking lot.

And I agree with RPM again, that's an LS1 intake with the EGR hole plugged as I previously mentioned. There's no LS6 manifold there.
You may have confused some wording. LS6 intake refers to the actual intake manifold. Which has some better flow characteristics over the earlier 'LS1-design' intake manifolds. You'll find that is also one of the first mod's people do, is swap to the $275-350 'LS6-design' intake manifold. (Standard on the 2001-2002 F-body.)
The airlid refers to just the lid area alone. Not the 'intake'.
Yes, it has an aftermarket airlid from 'LS1 Motorsports'.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Alternator is at a pretty hard-to-get-to location on the underside.
Might not be so easy to 'just take it A-zone', unless you take the whole car & they test the system while it's running in the parking lot.

And I agree with RPM again, that's an LS1 intake with the EGR hole plugged as I previously mentioned. There's no LS6 manifold there.
You may have confused some wording. LS6 intake refers to the actual intake manifold. Which has some better flow characteristics over the earlier 'LS1-design' intake manifolds. You'll find that is also one of the first mod's people do, is swap to the $275-350 'LS6-design' intake manifold. (Standard on the 2001-2002 F-body.)
The airlid refers to just the lid area alone. Not the 'intake'.
Yes, it has an aftermarket airlid from 'LS1 Motorsports'.
That's What I Figured... After Browsing The Site I Learned that It Was the Whole Intake Manifold... My Question Is If It's Worth The $300

And The Alternator Didn't Look Too Bad... I Guess It's Hard To Get Too.. -_-
Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99TA-LS1
That's What I Figured... After Browsing The Site I Learned that It Was the Whole Intake Manifold... My Question Is If It's Worth The $300
I paid $300 for my LS6 Intake (used) and I'd say it was worth it according to my "Seat of the Pants" Dyno.

And once I get an aftermarket cam and set of heads, the LS6 will allow for more power to be made than with the original intake and a H/C setup.

I consider upgrading the intake to be supporting mod. Just another piece of the puzzle.

Nice looking ride. Congrats on picking up your first LSx. You've come to the right place to ask your questions about it.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I paid $300 for my LS6 Intake (used) and I'd say it was worth it according to my "Seat of the Pants" Dyno.

And once I get an aftermarket cam and set of heads, the LS6 will allow for more power to be made than with the original intake and a H/C setup.

I consider upgrading the intake to be supporting mod. Just another piece of the puzzle.

Nice looking ride. Congrats on picking up your first LSx. You've come to the right place to ask your questions about it.
How Much Would A New One Cost? Unless Sinking The Extra Money for A New One Isn't Worth It...

So Far I'm Liking The Puzzle... Haha It's Going To Be A fun Project Building This One Up...
Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How Much Would A New One Cost? Unless Sinking The Extra Money for A New One Isn't Worth It...
Here's a link to a new LS6 Intake from Scoggin Dickey...

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-factor...parts/88894339

Looks like they want almost $500 plus shipping.

Like I said, I paid $300 for mine, shipped. If you can find a nice used one for a similar price, that leaves you $200+ to spend on another performance part.

So Far I'm Liking The Puzzle... Haha It's Going To Be A fun Project Building This One Up...
Me too, man. Me too.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

For $300 or less, the LS6 intake would be a good mod on a stock engine. For $500, I would not buy one unless I was planning to do a cam or heads/cam in the future.

The gain on a stock engine will be very small. But an LS6 intake is worth a decent amount of power with a cam or especially heads/cam.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
For $300 or less, the LS6 intake would be a good mod on a stock engine. For $500, I would not buy one unless I was planning to do a cam or heads/cam in the future.

The gain on a stock engine will be very small. But an LS6 intake is worth a decent amount of power with a cam or especially heads/cam.
Well I Plan On Adding The Heads And Cam When I Get The Intake Then...

Which Brings Up Another Question..lol

Any Recommendations For Heads And An Aftermarket Cam... Or What Type Should I Be Looking For On A N/A Setup
Old 06-22-2010, 01:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Any Recommendations For Heads And An Aftermarket Cam... Or What Type Should I Be Looking For On A N/A Setup
LOL, the search feature is going to be your best friend on this one. There are as many different opinions as their are heads and cams on the market. Honestly, it will be in your best interest to do your preliminary research by searching and reading this forum, then once you have a general idea of what you want you can ask more specific questions.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
LOL, the search feature is going to be your best friend on this one. There are as many different opinions as their are heads and cams on the market. Honestly, it will be in your best interest to do your preliminary research by searching and reading this forum, then once you have a general idea of what you want you can ask more specific questions.
Figures It Can Never Be That Easy....I Guess I'll Have To Poke Around The Forum And Try To Figure Out What I Want And What Would Be Best

Ty For The Help

Old 06-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Id say you got a pretty fair deal on the car, id throw some rear end gears in it that way youve got the rebuilt trans and rebuilt rear end then you can focus on your engine.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Well I Plan On Adding The Heads And Cam When I Get The Intake Then...

Which Brings Up Another Question..lol

Talk to TSP they have the best cams, id go with the torquer v2 it adds about 55hp as for heads, trick flow and AFR have some pretty decent heads.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

welcome to the LS1 community!