NEED help 911-SES light after tune!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!!

Please read my original thread.

THIS IS NOT A BASH FROST THREAD

With that said, I am going out to buy a new MAF tomorrow after work. I will report back hopefully Monday night with good news...HOPEFULLY.

Everyone on here, lay off Steve and Bro INC. I appreciate all the help both have offered.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anytime you place a situation like this all the haters make their way here.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!!

Please read my original thread.

THIS IS NOT A BASH FROST THREAD

With that said, I am going out to buy a new MAF tomorrow after work. I will report back hopefully Monday night with good news...HOPEFULLY.

Everyone on here, lay off Steve and Bro INC. I appreciate all the help both have offered.
I never said anything about you bashing Frost, but I have seen a few people make threads regarding his tune and it is always a mechanical problem. Your car has to be mechanically sound for it to be tuned

Bro INC didn't give you any help and I hate board members that don't know what they are talking about and just troll through threads posting up useless information

Go replace the MAF and report back.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

You don't know why the maf needs recurved? Really?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
And what did you offer in this thread? You tickled your boys nuts a bit, and thats about all.
My boy..... are you in high school? All I'm trying to do is point the guy in the right direction on who to listen to. You claim you fixed one of Frost's tune and now you say maybe it wasn't his. From the sound of it you don't know about tuning so lets just stick to helping the op with fixing his car because its not in the tune.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Just trying to speak your language.
One more post from you, still nothing.....
I am not trying to pretend I know about tuning like you , but I know Frost knows what he is talking about which is why I am steering away OP from idiots like you you have a bunch of posts here where you think you know what your talking about but its just a bunch of bs
Old 06-27-2010, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Calm down, christ.
You don't know what I think or know, you only know what I type on here.
Didn't I say frost tunes haven't been working lately, then I was thinking what you told me about age, so I said the OP here should ask you what kind of MAF to get. Or at least try cleaning it.

I don't know how you read it, but I have a tune from you, out of someone elses car, that would not lock up. The lock up point was 256 in all gears except 4th and under 37% tps. It would only apply during a coast down condition, I was in the car---no one told me this.

It just didn't work. That and the duty cycles were stock so when it did work it slipped during apply. The was an old yank with a kevlar clutch and they make a LOT of noise when they slip or apply with low pressure, the duty cycle has to be max.

I guess that was someone elses tune though and not yours.

And yes I asked questions so I'm stupid? I didn't ask you why you disabled his O2 heater codes and kept all other O2 codes active. Seems backwards to me. The switching codes should be disabled.

So you're saying out of 6-700 tunes you never screwed up one?
What if you did and I go ahold of it, thats what it seems like.

I don't see how someones maf can fail and it runs fine until after you tune it. Yes I wrote that, but I understand why. The real question is why would you screw with the maf tables on a basic tune, yea I can see that also. But you know what, you should at least give your customers a heads up that maybe it's not going to run right with the maf tables fine tuned. Tell them the maf is most likely going to need replacement if it's original.

Stop calling your customers liars.

Call me stupid I DON'T CARE.
It is up to the customer not the tuner to make sure that the car is in working order before driving, tuning or any other work is done. A MAF is a electronic device that degregates during time and use just like any other electronic device.

Steve has made these tunes literally hundreds of times. Use basic common sense to figure out what could possibily be the problem. Could it be the tune possibly or is it a better chance that it is a mechanical error with the car. Op stated that the car ran great for over 100 miles. If it was the tune you would think that it would have happened instantly when starting/driving the car.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

All of this can be solved if he just gets the MAF. Look OP I know it seems like the **** is hitting the fan, but come on, it isn't like Frost was tuning for some wild aggressive setup, it was for bolt ons, I don't know much about tunes but he did my bolt on car and I had no issues, look at your MAF....
Old 06-27-2010, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

If you don't know about tuning then how do you know what I'm saying is usless BS? You're just siding with frost.

I know frost knows tuning, he's here now. It should be him and the OP at this point.
I know enough about it to understand whats going on, but not enough to give advise about it so I keep my mouth shut. You should try it because you just throw out a bunch of bs.

well take your own advice and

Old 06-27-2010, 12:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The MAF curve changes when you change the WAY air moves through it, and the curve reflects that. I cannot predict aging MAFs, and they don't all do it.

In regards to your post about the lockup being set that low, if it was set that low, the customer either asked for it directly or said something along of the lines of they wanted it to come out of lockup more quickly with pedal. It's not standard fare. I don't always jack up the TCC lockup because most people complain about about the jolt they get from high TCC apply pressures when the stall locks up. Much of auto trans tuning is up to the taste of the individual.

I'm also not blaming the customer, I am blaming a part. I would be happy to refund him, including the cost of back and forth shipping. I answered his email in the middle of the night on Friday night after tuning all through the day and then supporting a customer at the track. To the bane of my own marriage I spent the night answering emails that came in during the day (just like every night). I replied last night during the middle of the night and I am here now to help and stand up for my work as well.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

The customer doesn't always know. The OP asked for a write up on MAF changing. Nothing wrong with that, but some people don't know what you stated above.

I did mention that a tuner could save some big headaches by informing customers that the tune might make old sensors, etc, malfuction due to their age and incompatability with non stock tuning.

Exactly what steve said earlier to me actually. He should mention this to his customers.

I do this in my line of work. I have been in situations where nothing works, I have to tell the customer that when I get it up and running it might need more parts to fix whatever caused it to stop working.
If I don't do this people get very pissed off.

It's just a few simple sentences to make even the most mechanically challenged customer understand.
And avoid situations like this.

Like i said when you go buy a cam do you just click on a sponsor and click on one that looks good or do you do research to find out if it will work for you? If you are the type to just click on a cam then you end up with a less than optimum car. If YOU do research to find what you want then you end up happy with your purchase this is no different in tuning. If you are ignorant to the process then you need to ask the questions and do the research.

Steve is trying to make it right and work with the OP to get his car running correctly. You just came on here saying typical Steve messing up tunes....

Steve probably has more loyal (meaning customers who will only go to him) then you can count. Not very many people like this in the world let alone this industry.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 PM
FormerVendor

I agree. The tuner said his part, take his advice.
Lets all leave it at that.
...right, after you spend the whole first page ripping on me, and things you don't even fully understand. The irony that you claim that you fix my 'mistakes' and then you ask why I change the MAF curve is enough to choke on.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:45 PM
FormerVendor

I deleted all the negativity that I could.

I didn't ask why you change a MAF curve in the sense that I didn't know.
My point wasn't taken or wasn't well wrote out.
I was saying that not everyone knows that when you fine tune the MAF curve, it might make a bad/dirty/old/failing MAF (or other part) show up.
It might be a good idea to let them know.
I have learned in my trade that I have to tell people stuff that seems obvious. It's made things easier for me when I explain it in advance.
This situation may be a good example, if you had a short write up on your order form, this guy might have just gone out, bought a new maf, got it working instead of doing all this.

That's a good idea, and I am all for constructive criticism. I had one other through email that had a bad MAF in the first week of the month, one on the dyno last week, and this one. It's hard to tell someone who is uninitiated that tuning may uncover existing problems that are covered up by a conservative OEM calibration. The OEM calibration was also designed to have room for items like an aging MAF.

I will certainly include information related to this in the future that goes past the standard "make sure that the car is good working order".
Old 06-27-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Steve, I really do appreciate your email that came in Friday night about 2AM. Kudos on customer service.

As I said before, I will grab a new MAF and install tomorrow...stay tuned for an updated post tomorrow.

God, I love my bike!
Old 06-27-2010, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

I have known Steve for years, and he is one of the best out there! I have been tuning these cars for a long time, and have nothing but respect for Steve - best customer service and a great knowledge base!

As Steve said above, the factory tunes are conservative and can cover up failing parts - put in a more aggressive tune and the problem crops up...

These cars are getting old, and parts like sensors are dying more and more frequently. I'm sure you'll be straight tomorrow!
Old 06-27-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep after my first H/C/I went on I throttle blipped a Mustang buddy after driving it back from RPM (about 90 miles) and car knocked off and would not start due to a bad MAF....He ROFL as I loaded my car up on a rollback. He did not laugh when I got it back and spanked his cams only car......

Point being yep my old 98 MAF couldn't handle the new tune parameters.......
Old 06-27-2010, 11:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

OK lets get back to helping the OP now.
Yes, this is what needs to happen. Thank you for deleting some of your posts, and please leave any further instagation out of this thread.

Looks like the OP is going to try a new MAF. Lets see what happens after that.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Waiting to see what happens...
Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

So sorry guys, worked late, it rained all day. I pulled the old MAF out, bought a new one, mated it up to the SLP lid and awaiting install.

Battery is unhooked to make sure EVERYTHING is reset on it.

Tomorrow at 530-6PM EST I will post, what is hopefully a big smiley because my car runs like more of a beast than it did with mods and no tune.

Thank you for getting back on track, Steve is continuing to help me via email as well.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

****UPDATE****

SO I installed the new MAF...fired the car up, SES light shut off. I only got to drive 7 miles...car feels RIGHT again. No smell, no hesitation, and best of all, NO backfiring.

Car feels stronger, havent gone WOT yet, but I think the MAF was the issue. Thank you everyone, I will update later when I get some WOT runs.

Quick Reply: NEED help 911-SES light after tune!!