New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common Problem In 98-02 Camaros?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the ac compressor cluch chatter something that can be stopped or is it normal? i have a very low mileage ls6 and i hear something that sounds like that and a mechanic said he cant hear it but i hear it really good espically when i am in between two other cars the echo of the small space makes it louder i guess! any thoughts? really annoys me
Old 07-10-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dgu1rt
is the ac compressor cluch chatter something that can be stopped or is it normal? i have a very low mileage ls6 and i hear something that sounds like that and a mechanic said he cant hear it but i hear it really good espically when i am in between two other cars the echo of the small space makes it louder i guess! any thoughts? really annoys me
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-clutch-2.html
Old 07-10-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ yeah do that, but if it just makes a little noise when it is off, you could probably do with just backing off the outer clutch plate a tad. It is spring steel holding it away, but that can get bent a little bit causing it to rattle/drag slightly and make noise. Mine does that. I just haven't done anything about it, I should because it annoys me (AC compressor itself is shot, oh well). Thankfully on the 6 the AC compressor pulley is relatively easy to get to.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The good news is that while F-bodies tend to have lots of annoying little problems, most all of them can be fixed.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kc-hoodsta
it aint right

the dealer wants 9 g's

he said we can work a deal but that trans is weird it is too hard to get into 2nd gear and it has a short shifter so idk if thats what made the gears had to put in.
haha
most likely that was CAGS, pretty sure these ones had them also. essentially an emissions thing that would require you to go from 1st to 4th directly, unless pushing it a bit, then you could go thru sequentially.

if i'm wrong.. then.. well, taht's what i get for not having a manual for so long.

BTW, there is a cheap mod to remove that 'feature'
Old 07-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was there a light popping up on the cluster saying Skip-Shift? if it is its something GM put in the standards to force you into 3rd or 4th to save gas, it locks out 2nd between a certain RPM range. It can be disabled with a Skip shift Eliminator for $20 from SLP, Hurst etc. There is also a write up on here on how to use a resistor from radio shack and make your own skip shift eliminator for like a buck.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1whip
if it has a monsoon sound system they tend to blow the front door speakers if abused alot...lol i have blown 2 sets.. and you can only use monsoon speaker replacements as the system works at a dif ohm setting than standard speakers youd buy at a stereo store. ebay has the repalcement speakers that apparenlty this bug has been fixed on i havnt bought them but i have herd of people having good luck with them.
I think you should check out Kee Audio. They are a sponsor on here and sell replacement speaker packages for F-body's and the door speakers are not those shitty *** monsoon speakers.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

it aint right

the dealer wants 9 g's

he said we can work a deal but that trans is weird it is too hard to get into 2nd gear and it has a short shifter so idk if thats what made the gears had to put in.
That may just be the SKIP SHIFT feature...go back and buy the car, when you try and get it into 2nd gear, see if a light comes on in the dash that says "SKIP SHIFT" if it does...that was just amndatory on all 6 speeds for gas mileage, GM made you shift from 1->4 to save gas.

If the light doesnt come on, under light accel and under say 3K rpms...then the car is modded to at least disable the skip shift.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1whip
if it has a monsoon sound system they tend to blow the front door speakers if abused alot...lol i have blown 2 sets.. and you can only use monsoon speaker replacements as the system works at a dif ohm setting than standard speakers youd buy at a stereo store. ebay has the repalcement speakers that apparenlty this bug has been fixed on i havnt bought them but i have herd of people having good luck with them.
the rear end..just dont dump the clutch or do a nutreal drop at 5-6k or so and your 10 bolt should live nicely..
also some engine noise during warm up seems to be normal to a extent.. make sure you can get a feel of how the previous owners treated the cars alot of thsese cars have been beat to sh&t so watch out! but honsetly they are a really good and reliable car i love mine and its never let me down!
actually there's an alpine speaker you can use with a small modification--don't have the model number handy, but I'm pretty sure there's a writeup in the stereo section
Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Revoroller
Was there a light popping up on the cluster saying Skip-Shift? if it is its something GM put in the standards to force you into 3rd or 4th to save gas, it locks out 2nd between a certain RPM range. It can be disabled with a Skip shift Eliminator for $20 from SLP, Hurst etc. There is also a write up on here on how to use a resistor from radio shack and make your own skip shift eliminator for like a buck.

My buddy with a vett used a paper clip....dont ask me how but i seen it
Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Iv had 3 ls1 camaros since 2004 which says how much I love these cars.
The only problem I ever had was on my 99 when the tranny gave out. I dont know if this is what killed it but I was doin 130 and not in od opps.

Other than that its just what everyone else said.....
Slow window motors
noisy gears
Ticking,knocking (just a little)from engine
My brakes were squeely on all my cars
ect....
Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

I think 9 g's could be right if it's in the right condition. My least favorite problem on the car is the slow a$$ windows yo.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ska4life07
I think 9 g's could be right if it's in the right condition. My least favorite problem on the car is the slow a$$ windows yo.

naw man it's not worth it.

im not gonna buy it im just going to wait on it something will come up.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

The internal window felt guides will put a deep scratch if you close your doors by the window glass instead of the door itself.
It happened to me.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS1Eagle
The internal window felt guides will put a deep scratch if you close your doors by the window glass instead of the door itself.
It happened to me.
....x 2
Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

x3.. Ruined my tint on the passengers side.. I can't tell everyone enough times to close it by the door.. not the window.. Finger prints > Ruined tint job.

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
....x 2
Old 07-20-2010, 10:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by areax
x3.. Ruined my tint on the passengers side.. I can't tell everyone enough times to close it by the door.. not the window.. Finger prints > Ruined tint job.
holy hell i was just tellin my someone the other day your not suposed to close the door by pushing the window
Old 07-20-2010, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

I sell Audi, BMW and mercedes for a living, for the last 10 years, i can honestly say my camaro has been more trouble free than any other car i've ever driven
Old 07-20-2010, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Richuk
I sell Audi, BMW and mercedes for a living, for the last 10 years, i can honestly say my camaro has been more trouble free than any other car i've ever driven
Very true. Iv had 3 ls1s. My 1st was a 99 and the tranny died but it was my fault. Other than that I have had 0 big problems or components failing. Just small things like light bulbs.

Alot of the american public has the idea that "american cars are pieces of ****" but GM makes a good vehicle and always has.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i drove it last night and i was like oh **** it pulls in 4th....my prelude never pulled like that in 4th LMFAO.

Yep. Welcome to the world of torque and having power below 6000rpm. And don't let people convince you that you can't make that car turn either

These cars hold up pretty well unless they are beat on, just like anything else. All of the problems I've had with my car with the exception of window motors and door sag can be attributed directly to something I have done to the car.

Quick Reply: Common Problem In 98-02 Camaros?