New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 vats

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010 | 09:55 PM
Teching In

Default 1998 vats

I am pretty sure that is why the car is limp and the starter wont crank. I have already taken it out and checked it. Checked all the fuses and relays and everything is good. How do I disable the VATS? I have read I need to measure the resistance in the pellet on my key and instal a resistor? has anyone on here done this before? Any pointers? Do I need the key in the car with power going to the ignition to perform the test? I am lost on how to do this.
Old 07-08-2010 | 11:48 PM
Teching In

Yeah you do need to measure the resistance of the VATS system. Here are a couple of good links to follow.
http://www.shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
http://www.shbox.com/1/air_bag_disc_2.jpg

Using a resistor to bypass the system works well. will cost you only a couple of bucks if you have a multimeter to mesure the resistance. The resistors are about 50 cents for a 5 pack from radioshack.

Also if you have an ACE hardware close to you, they can make copies of the chipped keys, and they have a machine that mesures the resistance of the key, so they can tell you what pellet count you have.
Old 07-10-2010 | 01:10 PM
Teching In

So where do I put the resistors since there is two wires that go into the connector under the dash? Do I wire it into both of them or just one? Which one?
Old 07-11-2010 | 02:22 PM
Teching In

If I remember correctly you splice the wires into the vats side of the connector. So cut the two wires and splice the resistors into the two wires on the vats side and just leave the connector laying there. Basically what you are doing is just bypassing the keys resistance. When the vats system sends out a signal looking for the correct resistance to come back to it, instead of the signal running up the steering colum to the key cylinder and meeting the resistance there, the resistors bypass the key cylinder. If you have any other questions PM me.

Last edited by whitelightning87; 07-11-2010 at 02:27 PM.