Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie mod mistakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Hmm..

- Buying a used MAFT (bandaid money should have went to tuning software)
- Removing my grille. It looks hokey unless you fill in the retainer holes properly
- Switching from 3.42's to 3.73's - gain really not noticeable on M6
- Buying the Grotyohann y-pipe. Bad fitment and quality.
- Whisper Lid cracks too easily
- Ported MAF ends (just whacked out my fuel trims and made my wallet lighter)
- Used BBK 80mm throttle body (no gain, it whistles during operation, and the throttle blade broke while at cruise)
- Shaner Stage II truck throttle body (no proven gain and made my wallet lighter)
- K&N filter (too expensive, and easy to over-oil element and foul the MAF wires)
- GMPP ignition wires (no change from stock, but less expensive than other varieties)
- Michelin Pilot Sport tires (overpriced, not as good as previous generation MXX3's)
- Poly tranny mount (tried both Prothane and ES, both caused massive vibration without modification)
- Buying a non-electric cutout (although they weren't available at the time)

Last edited by JimMueller; 09-07-2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Hey dust buster I bet my car has made a ton more passes than your **** has and the last time I saw 13's the C6 was still a year and a half ago where you at bitch

Being a road warrior...over 50,000 miles in the last 15 months ...go polish your AC lines on that garage queen old timer...
Old 09-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is unmodded. What i have gathered form this post...

NO Flowmaster
NO Slp Whisper lid
NO Maf de screen
NO K&N
NO Smooth Bellows

anything else??
Old 09-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gold Member
My car is unmodded. What i have gathered form this post...

NO Flowmaster
NO Slp Whisper lid
NO Maf de screen
NO K&N
NO Smooth Bellows

anything else??
Well, for me a big YES mod was the Subframe Connectors. Your car, even tho not modded to date, will benefit from them greatly. These cars will twist themselves in two over a period of years. The additional stiff "feel" is all good, not a stiffness in ride quality, but you won't hear anymore dash creaking going on. *I reccommend BMR* (many other brands are fine too)
Old 09-08-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

WOW! Ok I'm still a newb, but in my past year here are the mistakes for me.
1) Put me down as number 3 for saying "I'm not going to do a thing to this car, just drive, take care of and enjoy" Yeah, right.

2.) Defiantely the HPP3. I bought it new for a really good price. I did research and found that the LS1 Edit or HP Tuner, although better would not work for me as, a.) The closest performance tune shop to me is 180 miles one way (Hardcore Motorsports, LS1Tech sponsor), and b.) I do not have time to learn edits. And in my little home town when I asked someone at my local shop about helping me out with LS1 Edit or HP Tuners they looked at me like this.... and said "LS-what????" Not really somewhere I feel "warm and fuzzy" about taking my car to. Don't get me wrong definately a qualified shop IMO, just not when it comes to "tweekin" the PCM.

So after I installed the HPP3 I liked what it did so much (which was not enough, kinda like a teaser) I sold it and bought what most everyone said is the best "handheld", Predator. Good performance gain (sotp meter)/HPP3-HPP3 + Predator=Net loss! (wallet)
And thanks to this board (and the search button) I did avoid the costly mistake of buying SLP Headers, descreening maf, etc..

So with that thanks to all who have gone bravely down the mod road before me and made mistakes for me to learn from. I am quite confident I will make more mistakes, for someone else to learn from as time goes by.

Last edited by 02blkragtopz; 09-08-2004 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

havent made any mistakes with the ls1, i like to research things before i buy them, when moneys tight you have to make sure you get what you pay for
Old 09-09-2004, 05:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here at work I'm known as the Exhaust King:

1. Had stock and didn't like it
2. Bought SLP Dual Dual - Too Quiet
3. Bought Loud Mouth - Too Loud
4. Bought Corsa - Had to send 2 mufflers back, should have kept the tips.
5. Bought Dual Dual again in anticipation of getting headers and not being to loud
6. Didn't get long tubes for a while so bought Texas-Speed Rumbler - Happy with sound
7. Put on Long tube Headers with no cats - Too friggin loud again
8. Put on Borla XR-1 in place of bullet muffler - Not bad I think I like it
9. Finally going with true duals

Lesson learned: Headers and True Duals from the start or Headers Off Road Pipe and GMMG would have saved me lots of time and money. Haven't made any more mistakes since thanks to the board
Old 09-11-2004, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by riddler
Here at work I'm known as the Exhaust King:

1. Had stock and didn't like it
2. Bought SLP Dual Dual - Too Quiet
3. Bought Loud Mouth - Too Loud
4. Bought Corsa - Had to send 2 mufflers back, should have kept the tips.
5. Bought Dual Dual again in anticipation of getting headers and not being to loud
6. Didn't get long tubes for a while so bought Texas-Speed Rumbler - Happy with sound
7. Put on Long tube Headers with no cats - Too friggin loud again
8. Put on Borla XR-1 in place of bullet muffler - Not bad I think I like it
9. Finally going with true duals

Lesson learned: Headers and True Duals from the start or Headers Off Road Pipe and GMMG would have saved me lots of time and money. Haven't made any more mistakes since thanks to the board
Old 09-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Default LS1 mods

Luckily, i haven't made any mistakes yet because i'm checking out this site first before doing any mods. I have a LS1 out of a 1997 C5, i want to put it in a kit car but mod the LS1 to about 500 hp. What are the most reliable and reasonable mods to do and what would it cost? Anybody in the South East you could recommend? Thanks. Freytag
Old 09-12-2004, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

As far as the LS1 goes, I don't think I have any mods I'm pissed off about. Well, I guess from what I hear is that K&N is crap, but then what does everyone else use? My L36 Camaro on the other hand... wow! Where to begin? Flowmaster 80 series on a 3.8L V6, BMR torque arm, 1 piece AU driveshaft, Eibach Sportline Springs, 5% window tint back and sides (ticket recieved), B&B shifter thingy that basicly tells the PCM to always shift like it's WOT, LPE CAI, and to top it off, painted the interior red. Basicly everything I did to that car I should not have. If you want to check it out, http://www.cardomain.com/id/adinsx
Old 09-12-2004, 04:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Adinsx
B&B shifter thingy that basicly tells the PCM to always shift like it's WOT, http://www.cardomain.com/id/adinsx
Do you mean the shift kit? What the web address? Car looks cool, It doesn't look like there is too much red in the interior.

One of the reasons i regret taking my car in early for preventive maintence, is because the pcm was flashed back to stock. I belive, I bought the car with a moded pcm because, before taking my car to the mechanic shop, my car downshifted every 20mph -if i pushed the pedal down a good bit, with a loud scream and good pull.

Because I got no more forceful downshifts after getting my car back, I took the car to the chevy dealer, only to have them take money from my pocket and have the tranny guy tell me, the pcm was probabbly moded before, which is now stock. He was cool and told me how it can be flashed to downshift at part throttle, but I have yet to find someone who can mod the pcm for part throttle downshifts.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

By bad, it wasn't B&B it was B&M ShiftPlus Electronic Shift Improver www.bmracing.com
Old 09-12-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

adinsx, I've heard of this product before, doesn't b&m shift improver, do the same thing as the hpp3 does? I already purchased a hpp3, I will see how the hpp3 improves my shift.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

OK here's mine. I bough my 99 SS Convertible off ebay becuase after 2 months of looking I couldn't find one within 120 miles. I didn't check out the car before hand, left to get it on a Sunday and had to be back to work on Monday. I should have walked away from the car because it was not "perfect" like the ad stated. Instead I took the car and paid too much. I've fixed all of the little things wrong with it, but it took awile.

One other, HYPER BLUE headlights, they suck *** and don't put out half the light the stock bulbs do. They lasted about 2 days before I removed them.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

SLP MAF was my 160$ mistake With info from the site everyone says the stocker will flow enough for a 500hp engine. However it does fit up very easily with a lid and fernco bellows.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Ok guy's....I guess i'm still a newbee....so someon post what suspension mods NOT to do when trying to build a drag car...you can see my mods...what do i need to take off now??
Old 09-19-2004, 12:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Letting my short ex-girlfriend drive the TA all buzzed out to the store to get more beer! Looked like she hugged the curb all the way home! Dammit!
Old 09-19-2004, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Need2gofaster
Ok guy's....I guess i'm still a newbee....so someon post what suspension mods NOT to do when trying to build a drag car...you can see my mods...what do i need to take off now??

get ridda your lowering springs
that should do it
Old 09-20-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jason.sabovich
One other, HYPER BLUE headlights, they suck *** and don't put out half the light the stock bulbs do. They lasted about 2 days before I removed them.
yeah get the silverstar bulbs, they are awesome!!!! so0o much brighter and the light actually has a blue tint to it. well worth the money if you dont plan on getting HIDs.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buying a smooth bellows off EBAY, the one with the giant rib in the center. Just looking at the angle from the MAF to the throttle body, it aint gonna fit, if it does it will be in a bind and it is super stiff, I know you can put it in the microwave and all, but I would rather stick with the stock bellows as I dont see any gain, and there is a possiblity to cracking my new lid. Of course I have a WS6 and it has a taller air box, maybe it would fit better on a regular TA or Z28...... Anyone want it??Brand new never mounted. PM me.

Quick Reply: newbie mod mistakes