New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 rebuild HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 rebuild HELP!!

ok i found a 99 trans am vert with 127k miles..car is in pretty good shape could use a new top soon and a lil interior work but body and paint is nice...its an auto car that runs and shifts fine but the motor has a bottom end knock its not too bad and deffintly a bottom end knock sounds like a rod bearing but they only want $900 i put a couple hundred down yesterday and ill bring it home soon it was a trade in at the dealership i got my truck from so its not goin anywhere so my next question is should i just rebuild the bottom end or the whole motor???? is that alot of miles for a ls1??? and where should i get my rebuild parts from
Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 PM

no help?????
Old 07-15-2010, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

Honestly I would have the whole motor done, its a pain to drop an engine. Why reuse parts that have over 100k miles on them when you already have it torn apart.

127k isnt too bad, it was probably abused a lot as these cars are for it to go that soon.

Honestly id go talk to a machine shop, it might cost less to find an engine than to rebuild it.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

The price to fix it you can probably find a short or long block with low miles cheaper.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

no thats not a lot of miles and like these guys said just find a motor....
Old 07-17-2010, 10:49 AM

ok well i have a certified mechanic i work with that said for $500 he will pull the motor and rebuild it top to bottom and put it back in and i found a rebuild kit for $600 through summit. the cheapest motor i could find was for $900 with 90k miles i would rather know that i have a fresh new motor than be wasting the time of puttin one in with who knows how many miles and it could have a knock or somethin and i wouldnt even know..so does anyone know where to get a better rebuild kit or cheaper and also i would like to put a mild cam in somethin that i could just put in and not have to change anything else