Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default good deal?

Thought i would ask this in the newbie tech...

long story short i was planning to do a budget 5.3 litre truck build in my 89 240sx... just so i could get my feet wet with the project..

My friend currently owns a 2002 vette, he just swapped in a race prepped 6.0 litre out of a escalade into it for more power.

he is offering me his 5.7 litre block with pistons still in it, the heads with NO rocker arm assembly, still has valves and springs and covers... and no intake manifold of anykind... no accessories, comes with shorty vette ex manys, so basically im looking at finding alot of stuff

hes offering it to me for 500 bucks... is this worth it? I like the idea of putting the engine back together myself.... how ever i was not planning on doing any upgrades at this time.. just leaving it stock, the cam is still in it, crank is there.. no oil pan

so is 500 to much for this? or is it an ok deal to start off with and ill have to source out the extras on craigslist etc?

what would you do?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go for it, $500 is a good deal for what your getting. How many miles on the engine? Look in the classifieds at the bottom of this forum and check ebay for the oil pan, ls6 intake, ect...
Old 07-29-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can put a intake and ignition system from edelbrock ,part #edl-7118 -edl-2908.I saw these at summit.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for advice. I have already found many parts on Craigslist.. now rebuild begins
Old 08-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

ok guys just an update... i been sourcing out parts. I saw on here a full ls6 intake with fuel rails and injectors that i will prob jump on.. seein as how im missing everything

now for coilpacks i hear the truck ones are more preffered... this true?

also, im leaving the heads that came with the car, i have to source rocker arms and stuff but i saw those on craigslist... full sets used for 25 bucks..

my big question is... new cam? bare in mind im completely new to the ls1.. so i have researched and alot of people like the z06 cam as an upgrade... or is there something else thats good bang for the buck, with a ls6 intake and basically stock heads? Id like to do it now before i put whole engine back together..

im not really into changing out the pistons... except maybe for some forged ones that i can easily do myself without having to have the block honed...

this is my first time attempting this... so advice in this area would b good. Im still looking to keep it budget... i.e. lots of parts from craigslist..

i even saw a hotcam setup, but i have no clue when it comes to lifts and durations...
Old 08-05-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

your going to have to upgrade the springs for any cam upgrade so id do a larger cam than a z06 cam since your already putting in springs/push rods/ oil pump. also truck coils are more desired cause they have larger "cooling fins" (guess thats what they are called?) but it really doesnt make a difference. goodluck with your build
Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for insight, i already have the springs and valves still installed... just not rocker arm assembly... maye ill stick stock cam.. for now untill i have a full grasp on putting together and taking apart engine