New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 loudmouth newbie need info.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004 | 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default ls1 loudmouth newbie need info.

I know this should go in the external engine section but i need info for a newbie. so hopefully it doesnt get moved.

Im picking up a slp loudmouth here shortly from someone on the board here, and i have a off road ypipe on my stock manifolds. exactly how loud is this going to be? i know ill have rasp cause i do not have cats but i kinda dig rasp myself. As my friends little brother put it "your car sounds like a bear it woke me up" lol.

is this set up going to just be LOUD all around the rpms? or just loud at lower rpms and LOUD at WOT?
Thanks for the opinions in advance fellas.
Travis
Old 01-21-2004 | 11:41 AM
Administrator

You'll see.

It's going to be L-O-U-D! It'll probably sound like **** too from all the rasp and drone.
Old 01-21-2004 | 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Well, its loud period. All rpms all the time. You can control it to some degree. I don't find idle and part throttle that bad. At WOT everyone will know you coming, lol. This is not for stealth.

Without cats I would imagen it would be a little louder part throttle with mainly some rasp.
Old 01-21-2004 | 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

idle will be okay, other than that...ummmmmmm...what everyone else said LOUD
Old 01-21-2004 | 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

and sound like crap with the rasp
Old 01-21-2004 | 01:00 PM
On The Tree

I actually had the SLP Loudmouth when I was stock and it was pretty loud...not too loud where the cops come chasing after you but it's loud at WOT....I eventually took off my cats and put on some Longtubes....NOW IT IS FU%KING LOUD....I can't explain how loud it is...I moved to davis with my sister...the neighbors complained and I was sent to court to see about my car...well instead of taking everything off I came back home to San jose California....But it's ******* loud with no cat and LT's....and I LOVE IT!!!!
Old 01-21-2004 | 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

luckily i dont have lt's. I personally i like the weird raspy sound. who knows for how long lol but hey...im never satisfied with my exhaust on any car i get i change it 10 times, and im never going to be completely satisfied for longer than a few months lol. hmm maybe ill just see how many neighbors i can **** off then ill think about changing.

so basically its gonna be slap nuts loud? I like it.
Thanks fellas
Travis
Old 01-21-2004 | 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

i used to like it loud and raspy, it took about 5 days before i have changed it. Its my 3rd exhaust now
Old 01-21-2004 | 03:31 PM
On The Tree

its not that loud.....at least thats my opinion. I was worried about the loudness level before I got mine, now I wouldnt have it any other way. I am worried about after I put on heads, cam and headers!
Old 01-21-2004 | 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

removing cats will make it louder than that loudmouth will
Old 01-21-2004 | 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

wel li guess if i was completely in lovewith the way my mustang sounded a 95 gt vert with long tubes, off road h pipe to 2 chamber dumped flows...i think ill enjoy this.. probably not for long buti got al oudmouth for about 100 bucks so its not hurting the pocket too much.

do you guys suggest just putting a muffler in place of the resonator? my friend that is putting it on has a box of those race style i guess they are called bullet mufflers at his shop but i dont want it to get too much quieter if its gonna be loud as s hit.

Thanks for the input fellas.
Travis
Old 01-21-2004 | 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the dynomax bullet on kind of a custom loudmouth and an offroad y pipe and it sounded great, it took away about 90 percent of the rasp, i got a lot of compliments on it. I just changed it when i did my cam to make it quieter
Old 01-21-2004 | 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

it will be loud when you get on it with a bit of drone if ya pulling high rpms on the hwy i personally like it when with manifolds but with headders its a bit over the top and my prefrence is a open borla with lt and no cats now thats a badass exaust and ya shop right you can get it (slightly used) cheep as a new loud mouth ill tell ya i bent borla when i was in your shooes and ill NEVER look at another exaust (just dont pay full price cauz its a rip IMO i bought mine used for 350 and its great
Old 01-21-2004 | 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Boy O Boy...you guys must be getting old ............Yea it will be loud and yea you will have some rasp but hey its a muscle car....personaly I have the loudmouth and longtubes with bullit cats and I think it sound great ..Yea you can hear me from a block or two away but hey were not talkin about moms honda with a fat-can......were talkin about a muscle car >>>>>>>>>have funn with that loudmouth
Old 01-21-2004 | 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
it will be loud when you get on it with a bit of drone if ya pulling high rpms on the hwy i personally like it when with manifolds but with headders its a bit over the top and my prefrence is a open borla with lt and no cats now thats a badass exaust and ya shop right you can get it (slightly used) cheep as a new loud mouth ill tell ya i bent borla when i was in your shooes and ill NEVER look at another exaust (just dont pay full price cauz its a rip IMO i bought mine used for 350 and its great

Yea you got a point..but I am just the opposite....I had a borla and changed to a loudmouth because my borla had to be the worst fitting system I had ever seen. It ratteled..banged and just did not want to fit right.....BUT it is great to have the option to put a q-tec on it and with the flick of a switch run open>>>>closed.....The loudmouth fits perfect....
Old 01-21-2004 | 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a loudmouth with y-pipe, and its not loud enough. Given, i still have cats and stock manifolds on my car. I used to have an LT1 TA with midlength headers, highflow cat, and borla with out any plates and DAMN it sounded good!!!

Last edited by 99silverWS6; 01-21-2004 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2004 | 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

the cats quiet it down the most, not saying to get rid of them though, that would be illegal
Old 01-21-2004 | 09:07 PM
Launching!

I have the LM w/my '02 Firehawk. Heads, cam, headers, race pipes. 420 RWHP. When I take it to Summit Point (open track) I shed a tear when I go by people w/their hands over their ears. Grin ear to ear. BTW, at the track or on the street, I use ear plugs ALL the time. Can't replace the ability to hear.

Regards
Steve

Last edited by steve-d; 01-21-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2004 | 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

AMEN to that Steve-d. Mostly id like to do this just to turn on the car at 2 am to do my ritual run to the minimart for a dr. pepper and a hershey bar and wake everyone else up lol. my neighbors suck they need to pay for it.

would i see any hp increase over a hooker catback with the loudmouth?
~T
Old 01-21-2004 | 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slik98z
would i see any hp increase over a hooker catback with the loudmouth?
~T
I would think so, LM flows better than the Hooker. Don't expect anything magnificent though, just a little more.