New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on what to use for sealing split grommet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suggestions on what to use for sealing split grommet?

Where I live the rain gets ridiculous, and when it rains, water slaloms down my PCM wires into the interior on the passenger side through the PCM wire grommet. I've tightened things up a bit with some black wire loom and a random plastic wire sheath i found in my box of wiring stuff.

It's a tight fit inside the grommet, which is what I wanted, but there's a small slit in the grommet (it was like that when I got it, but the black plastic piece made it a little bigger), and I'm wondering what I should use to seal it up, as well as the hole off to the side of the plastic piece. Well here's a pic of what I want to seal up:

I have a little bit of black Permatex RTV gasket sealer on my garage shelf, and a friend of mine has a bottle of The Right Stuff. Will either one of these work to prevent water from coming in? Is there anything else you guys recommend for a waterproof sealant?

I'm tired of tons of water getting under my carpet so any help is appreciated; thanks again for the help!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Either the rtv or right stuff should do ok I would use the right stuff personally
Old 08-01-2010, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

3m strip caulk. That black crap from 80s GM vehicles... I use it on a lot of stuff...
Old 08-02-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up going with Permatex Black Silicone (16B).

I'm sure most RTV stuff is pretty much the same for this application, but the Black Silicone 16B had the only product description that said it was waterproof also. I'm sure other RTV silicone is waterproof too, but that was the only product description that said it was, so that's what I used. I tried to seal it up as best I could, got lucky because it didn't rain all weekend, so that gave me a chance to take care of it.

Here's how it ended up, pretty messy cuz my arms were cramped trying to do this, not a whole lot of space in there lol:

I also wrapped the wires up in more tape and wire loom, crimping the ends off with zip ties. Hope that takes care of Noah's flood getting into my car!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I love the Ultra Black. I use it for lots of stuff.