New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

added R-134a to Car..Now makes hissing...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default added R-134a to Car..Now makes hissing...

I have the classic water dropping in on driver and passenger side floorboards. I jacked the car up to see if I could see if somthing was plugged as is there was no coolant.

While It was jacked up I put my R-134a guage on (cheap one that just has colors saying if system is filled.....put in maybe half a can.

After I took the knozzle off it started hissing out of the fitting I had guage attached to. I put the black cover back over the fitting and it seemed to stop. Is it suppose to keep coming out like that? This is the first time I have ever added freon to it...

thanks
Old 08-22-2010, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

It's not supposed to come out like that, your Schrader valve (where you attached the hose) is stuck open. Try to tease it back closed with a pocket screwdriver, if it doesn't stop hissing, it needs to be replaced and the A/C recharged.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Teching In

I was thinking it was stuck open too...I used the guage to go back and forth on and off and it looks like its not gonna budge
Old 08-22-2010, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

well as for the water on the floor your a/c drain is cloged up you can get a hanger and bend it open and try to clear it out.
for the stuck valve get a small screwdriver and really fast push it all the way in and let it go and that should fix it.

you might of had a piece of junk near the valve and when you opened it up it got in the valve.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Found the hole and stuck clothes hanger up there.....some stuff there not to much though.... Ill have to test it out tomorrow and see if I get leaks inside car...

Used screw driver to pop the valve closed...went ahead and charged it back up with some freon also and used the screwdriver to close it again

Thanks yall