Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is the pain over?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the pain over?

so i had this annoying whine under my hood. i was notified that the problem could be a number of things...idler pulleys, tensioner pulleys, belts... so, i decided to find the problem one afternoon.

firstly, i took off the larger belt. the whine was still there. then i took the little belt off. the whine was gone. hooray! i've figured it out! WRONG!

so i go buy the damn little belt, barely get it on before i break it in half because it seems about 2 mm too small... finally, i get it on there. i start the car, the whine is gone! problem fixed! WRONG AGAIN!

so i put the big belt back on, and the whine is still there! wtf!?!? so then i assume the big belt must be shot also? i go to autozone today to get a big belt ($27!!), and i put it on. the whine should be fixed, right? WRONG ONCE AGAIN!

the damn thing still whines. it's to a MUCH lesser extent, but it's still audible (especially to me). i'm not sure if it's the tensioner pulley that's shot, and it's slowly going to rip apart the new belt until the whine is threefold, or if the belts just need a little time to wear in. but it's pissin' me off! next thing i'll try is the tensioner. i know it isn't anything run by the little *** belt, because with that belt on, there is no whine. it's something running along the big belt, and the tensioner pulley is my only next guess.

son of a bitch long afternoon!
Old 01-25-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

You forgot to put this guy in there ---------> LOL

Sorry to hear about that man. I think my tensioner is going too, it's making a fairly loud howling/hissing sound. Tracking down these little problems can be a serious PITA!
Old 01-25-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been noticing a high pitch squeaking noise coming from my upper idler pulley. The noise goes away though once the car warms up. It's been really cold here lately.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tuffluck
so i had this annoying whine under my hood. i was notified that the problem could be a number of things...idler pulleys, tensioner pulleys, belts... so, i decided to find the problem one afternoon.

firstly, i took off the larger belt. the whine was still there. then i took the little belt off. the whine was gone. hooray! i've figured it out! WRONG!

so i go buy the damn little belt, barely get it on before i break it in half because it seems about 2 mm too small... finally, i get it on there. i start the car, the whine is gone! problem fixed! WRONG AGAIN!

so i put the big belt back on, and the whine is still there! wtf!?!? so then i assume the big belt must be shot also? i go to autozone today to get a big belt ($27!!), and i put it on. the whine should be fixed, right? WRONG ONCE AGAIN!

the damn thing still whines. it's to a MUCH lesser extent, but it's still audible (especially to me). i'm not sure if it's the tensioner pulley that's shot, and it's slowly going to rip apart the new belt until the whine is threefold, or if the belts just need a little time to wear in. but it's pissin' me off! next thing i'll try is the tensioner. i know it isn't anything run by the little *** belt, because with that belt on, there is no whine. it's something running along the big belt, and the tensioner pulley is my only next guess.

son of a bitch long afternoon!
My Ford Ranger was doing the exact same thing, and i went through all the stuff you did, only to find out about a year later that it was the A/C clutch starting to go bad, and damn, when that clutch finally wore out that noise was horrible. it was metal rubbing against metal
Old 01-25-2004, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try some belt dressing on each pulley, to see which one may be squealing. i think it is probably a tensioner or idler pulley