New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM limits? 02 LS1 camaro ss pullout?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RPM limits? 02 LS1 camaro ss pullout?

I know that the 02 camaro ss came with some ls6 goodies (intake manifold? oil pump? 241 heads (not ls6 persay, but better?), and some other things like that. How do they hold up to high rpms? I purchased a PAC dual valve spring kit (severe duty - .650 lift), FTI Seven Degree Titanium Retainers, FTI Hardened Seven Degree Valve Locks, and FTI Hardened Spring Locators off a member here and was wondering what else would be needed to let it run a little higher rpm? I know running high rpm != more horsepower unless you have the cam to match, which I will here soon, I am just wondering what kind of redline you can achieve and what's needed so I can know what kind of cam to run (no point in running a cam that makes power to 7500 if you're stopping at 6500 if you know what i mean). I know its a newb question but just looking for some answers and I've read quite a few different things (plus have seen the 9k rpm c5 ITB car on youtube lol). So I am trying to figure out whats realistic or what else would be needed to achieve a higher rpm range than the stock 6200ish I believe it is.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

You will only want to rev to just past where your cam makes peak power. anything more than that is just putting extra strain and wear and tear on the bottom end and valvetrain.
Stock bottom end IMO i would be getting nervous revving it to much over 6500.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CRAZZ28
You will only want to rev to just past where your cam makes peak power. anything more than that is just putting extra strain and wear and tear on the bottom end and valvetrain.
Stock bottom end IMO i would be getting nervous revving it to much over 6500.
That's what I was wondering. I know people say to definitely replace rod bolts with ARPS if its a 98, I just didn't know if the 02s or something came "better built" or something and could achieve a higher redline (without tearing into the bottom end). I see all these dynos running to 6800 - 7000k on the MS4 and MS3 and polluter and similar highway cams and none seem to be running built bottom ends, so I am just trying to get a game plan. Come x-mas I am getting a real cam

Last edited by RS777; 09-16-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Its really a hit and miss deal. It has alot to do with mileage, how it was taken car of, and how often you are spinning it up that high. What is your goal with this?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CRAZZ28
Its really a hit and miss deal. It has alot to do with mileage, how it was taken car of, and how often you are spinning it up that high. What is your goal with this?
My goal is that this is my first LS1. I just bought the valvetrain parts mentioned above. What else do I need to run a cam in the 390-400whp+ range (the car weighs under 2800lbs and is the full stripped model - solid roof, no p/s, no abs, etc)? Most of the cam dynos I've looked at all spin to 6800-7k and I am trying to just do it right. I really don't know what I need per-say, but I do know that I've got a good deal on springs, retainers, etc. LS2 timing chain has been recommended and with it already having the ls6 oil pump, I'd think it'd be ready to handle a serious cam at this point? The car is a street car and a daily, but stock the nissans have a 4.08 rear ends (so it should have good manners with a heavy duty cam). The LS6 hotcam that came in the pullout I bought isn't the best and I should be able to sell it in the $150-200 and basically have a few hundred bucks in a good NA EPS or similar camshaft (better manners, more hp, whats to lose? ). I am just trying to cover all my bases. I want it to be a mid 11 low 11 reliable street car, which should be easily obtained at 380-400whp and 2700ish lbs. I don't drag race, I just like getting 29-30mpg highway, easily outrunning new GTs and similar in a car that's cost me <$7k to build with great parts

I guess another thing is that I am just trying to achieve is better knowledge of the limits and similar of these engines? I DO SEARCH and I DO READ. I just am trying to find out what the realistic #s are and parts needed and similar.

Last edited by RS777; 09-16-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:42 AM
TECH Regular

You wont need to spin 6800-7000 for 400 hp. There are plenty of cams out there that will get you there. Your best bet would be to call up thunder racing or texas speed and see what they reccomend.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that most are spinning them to 6800, which is where my rev limiter is set. My cam peaks around 6200 so I generally shift around 6500- 6600. As already stated though it really depends on the cam.