Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First LS swap need help already

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post First LS swap need help already

I am now starting to feel a little overwhelmed This is my story and to say the least I need some direction. I currently have a 2002 Silverado Extended Cab 1500 5.3L 4x4. About two years ago the engine developed what GM likes to call a pours leak. I just joke it runs on gas and H20. So with 130k and a leaky head I decided that I was going to swap it out for an LS1 engine.

So I also currently have a complete 2000 C5 Corvette LS1 engine. This is where I need some direction. I have been going over the electrical in my head and on paper, comparing pinout of the LS1 with the 5.3L. Can anyone giving me some suggestions on which direction I should go with my PCM and wire harness? How do I incorporate the 4wd when using the LS PCM, or should I remap the 5.3L PCM?

Where should I start a thread of my build to get help with these kinds of issues?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would just use the 5.3l PCM and get it retuned for the new engine. Most LS tuners should be able to handle that one pretty easily for you. The motor should wire up the same as the last one you had in there.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Teching In

JohnJanz
Thanks for the input, that’s the route I think I am going to go with. I spent all last night looking for info regarding the electrical for the swap. From what it sounds like the only plugs that are different are the injector plugs. Could you suggest any good tuner to have retuned the PCM? I have a lot of questions and would like to find one that is will to work with me.....
Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know of many shops around your area, but a number of vendors offer mail order tuning. Are you trying to get a dyno tune done? I would recommend making the trip to RPM in Garner, NC. They definately know thier stuff!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Eventually i would like to get a dyno tune, but my main objective is to get the LS engine in the truck and functioning properly. I have been looking on LT1Swap.com, he said he can retune to my needs for 75 bucks. I was looking over your web site and notice you also do custom tuning. Will you retune my 5.3L PCM for the LS1 engine, if so how much?

Also, I understand that i can use my existing PCM just need to have it retuned. As far as using the existing harness from the truck, the way i understand it is most of the plugs match up, except for the fuel injectors? Am i correct or could you help shed some light on the harness question....?