Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear main seal dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear main seal dilemma

Ok... so I apparently have a rear main seal leak (theres maybe a drop of oil on the ground a night, if that, and there's oil at the bottom of the trans housing/engine block). Now then. I've searched and read and searched and read. This may not be a big deal (drop the trans/clutch/flywheel), but its so cramped in the 240sx that I may have to pull the whole engine/trans etc which is why this is being brought to the forum for questioning lol. I purchased a GM rear main seal kit (comes with the reverse lip seal rear main seal and the block gasket). Ok... I started reading (really just looking for a write up in case theres something weird) and I've read where people have gone through 2-3-4-5 GM rear main seals before actually putting a FEL PRO or similar autozone/oreilly/etc rear main seal in and it work/not leak. So now my dilemma... I don't want to do this more than once as it may end up being an entire weekend ordeal if I have to pull the whole engine/trans/etc (wiring harness has to come undone, custom fuel lines, etc). If you had both, which would you put in the car? The GM rear main seal or the FEL PRO rear main seal (I have both and to my shock, the FEL PRO is a reverse lip too, so they look very similar)? and why?

I guess what I am getting at, is that I don't want to do this more than once as its my DD and I'd pay $100 to put an invincible rear main seal in the car as it seems to be a very prominent problem in these cars lol. I just don't know which to use (even if its not the GM or FEL PRO... if you have another suggestion by all means put it up). I am putting a spec 3+ and flywheel in the car, so its not a waste anyways, I just don't want an oil soaked clutch and similar a week or month after I redo all this (plus waste another 5-10+ hrs).
Old 09-21-2010, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a GM rear main in my car over three years ago and haven't had an issue with it
Old 09-21-2010, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
I put a GM rear main in my car over three years ago and haven't had an issue with it
That's what I wanna hear. I am trying to decipher user error and product error. This is a case where searching has made my dilemma worse than better lol Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Rustyoldbird (07-25-2023)
Old 09-21-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Hopes it is you rear main and you don't go through what I did today. So I also had it all over my trans and dripping from my bell housing. So I took out my trans. Broke my 2k mile slave which will cost me. To find my oil soaked clutch disk which I need to replace. And i need to resurface my fly wheel. After taking all this out I pulled my fly wheel off to find this...

Yep a clean block. I cleaned that off when I replaced the clutch this spring. 2k miles ago. So I found one pan bolt with a drop of oil on it and it must leak a lot when the car runs because I can find oil all the way at the end of the trans. So now I need to replace that and I'm debating replacing the rear main. I didn't last time and it does look to leak. So fix whats not broken? Or hope it doesn't go out...
Old 09-22-2010, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have been using GM rear main seals as long as I can remember and haven't had any issues with them. I would throw one in and be done with it. I wouldn't expect there to be any issues again as long as you get it in there properly.

Jon
Old 09-22-2010, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm its very possible that is just a broken slave. I've been dealing with a noisy slave/release for a while (re-used the old stupidly). I bought a brand new one now just trying to knock out as much as I can in one sitting and get all my facts straight before I have a transmission or a transmission and engine sitting on the floor. I like fun mods, not moving heavy crap to get to annoying little stuff mods lol.

Last edited by RS777; 09-22-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used both aftermarket (felpro) and GM in customers and personal cars with zero issues. If I remember correctly it is a ptfe seal and comes with a piece of paper saying not to lubricate the seal (must be installed dry).
Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Rear main seal dilemma