New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Z28 - Basic Mod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Lid, tint, deck are all next for me. Probably cat-back soon! Can some one please respond to my loudmouth questions above? Thanks!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a thread I started last year when I added Jet Hot LTs and Catted Y to my Firebird with Loudmouth Catback. It has before and after videos of the car with and without the headers.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...m-install.html

No doubt the car is loud with this setup, but its definitely livable. Many would have you believe LTs + LM is a recipe for shitty sounding exhaust. Maybe with an ORY, but when you choose a Catted Y, that's not my opinion of it at all.

As I said, its freakin' loud, and it is a bit "unrefined" sounding. But it still has the best rumble at idle and it goes without saying WOT is outta this world.

But don't take my word for it check out the videos and decide for yourself.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:14 AM
Launching!

In response to the exhaust questions. I have the LM1 cat-back and LOVE it to DEATH. Best sounding Cat-Back out there as most will agree. I then preceeded to get my headers and ory added on. Now, unlike most, i like it even more now. I love how loud it is, and how menacing and satanic it is at WOT. However, i may have future plans to replace my LM1 muffler/resonator with the Borla XR-1 racing muffler to make it a Borlamouth exhaust, just to add some backpressure if i decide it needs it. You can use also any brand muffler to replace the LM1 resonator to change your catback. You don't have to buy a whole new cat-back system, or even the LM2 or Powerflo. Just measure out the dimensions of the LM1 resonator, and find the match for whatever brand you want. Borla=Borlamouth Magnaflow=Magnamouth, etc., etc. So many options to choose from, just look up different sounds of different exhausts, and find what you would like most with the headers in the future. But for now, get the LM1 catback. Its cheap, looks great, sounds Unbelievable, and can be easily changed if you don't like the new sound after you do headers and ory.

Last edited by 98z28CamaroJG; 10-04-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:30 AM
Launching!

Also, any videos you see of the LM1 stock or with headers does NOT do the sounds justice. It is 10000000000000000x better in person. From catback to headers my exhuast loudness tripled at least. of course, this is without cats, so the exhaust is pretty much straight pipes. with cats i'd imagine the loudness would double. If you don't want LOUD exhaust, you can easily replace the LM1 muffler/resonator with a magnaflow muffler, they pretty much kill the noise back to a catback level. And as always, i recommend the LM1 1000% The amount of thumbs up, conversations, smiling nods, etc., I received after getting the catback have been shocking. After adding headers and ory to the LM1, my neighbors have a new wake-up and bedtime schedule dictated by me haha. However, at all the car shows and meet-ups i go to now, i'm swarmed with compliments by fellow car enthusiasts. My self-esteem and pride driving my car is through the roof.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the feedback man. The LM1 is definitely my front runner. I also like the Texas Speed Rumbler.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Launching!

No problem haha. Texas Speed Rumbler isn't bad at all, you have quite the choice to make haha. I'd still go with the LM1 though if i were you. You're going to cry when you start it up for the first time haha
Old 10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True duals > any catback that goes through a Y pipe.

I love how Borla sounds though, that'd be the only catback id pick. My duals are quiet when cruising and noisy at part throttle, wot it screams. I get nothing but compliments from "it sounds like a vtte" to "I heard you a mile away" <----we actually verified that the other night. Best option in my mind (I have headers though) and I would do I everytime. Anything with a Y is raspy and drones. My duals through the X are great and the only choice for a muscle car sound (although you can use an H pipe too).
Old 10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

I love how Borla sounds though, that'd be the only catback id pick. My duals are quiet when cruising and noisy at part throttle, wot it screams. I get nothing but compliments from "it sounds like a vtte" to "I heard you a mile away" <----we actually verified that the other night. Best option in my mind (I have headers though) and I would do I everytime. Anything with a Y is raspy and drones. My duals through the X are great and the only choice for a muscle car sound (although you can use an H pipe too).

Last edited by WSsick; 10-04-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

get a vararam velocity stack, electric supercharger, and some super light titanium muffler bearings... that mother***** will fly then!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Teching In

SSRA and filter k&n
Tune

After
Cat back and headers
Old 10-04-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Seit
SSRA and filter k&n
Tune

After
Cat back and headers
why on earth would you get a tune before headers?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WSsick

I'd like to get the Texas Speed true duals set-up, but as I understand it, it's designed to match up with long tubes? I'd like to do the cat-back soon and then save up for the headers.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlueSuperGoat
I'd like to get the Texas Speed true duals set-up, but as I understand it, it's designed to match up with long tubes? I'd like to do the cat-back soon and then save up for the headers.
Do the catback, headers, then tune from frost... If ur lookin at budget options, imo look at the ebay stainless headers. No experience with them, but I have herd pretty good things about them. I think they cost around 300.00. A sponsor on this site sells Hooker catback for 330.00 shipped. Also I think Frost is still doing mailorder tuning for 125.00.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlueSuperGoat
All you would need is a merge pipe. Go to an exhaust shop, have them fab you up 2 little pieces of pipe with the stock sized pipe on one side (2.5" I think) and then the other side would be the size of the duals (3"?). Shouldn't cost more than $10.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't forget a ported TB. I don't know about HP numbers or gains at the track, but I installed one on mine a few weeks ago and I could feel the difference as a soon as I pulled away from the curb. It's faster to rev, throttle response is much improved, and it feels like it pulls harder off the line and at low engine speeds. Best 50 bucks I ever spent on the car.

I'm usually skeptic about inexpensive mods, and usually feel like you ought to just go big (like just spending the money on a torque converter instead of all the little **** with negligable gains.. i.e; catback, pulleys, CAI, intake), but it REALLY did make a difference, at least on my car.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WSsick
All you would need is a merge pipe. Go to an exhaust shop, have them fab you up 2 little pieces of pipe with the stock sized pipe on one side (2.5" I think) and then the other side would be the size of the duals (3"?). Shouldn't cost more than $10.
I'll look into this. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

No problem, and a ported stock TB isn't a bad idea either.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
Forget the MAF, and intake. Get a LID it will do just fine. Forget the hand held tuner that money could be better spent on a tune after you get headers.

I don't understand your coming out of a 2004 GTO which has the same motor as the Z-28 your now in you should have a basic clue. LID, Headers, Gears, Tune, Cat-back. Should get you around the 350rwhp mark...
i second this, and the 4.10's is a good idea too.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

I'm considering picking up the Hooker cat-back for $339 shipped here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...h-5th-gen.html
Is that a good price? I have searched around on here about the Hoooker cat-back and it seems to have a good reputation. Good price? Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:46 PM

Have a 99 Z28 that i just picked up it looks stock but I beat a 2001 SS the other day. I want to do some mods that will put me around 375 rwhp nothing real major though budget is around $2000