New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went and looked at a Ram Air TA today....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red91vette
That is way too much work! I was going to do that, but I know with the vettes, it is a huge PITA! You have to change out the rear end, torque arm, driveshaft, mount the pedals etc etc etc etc! But it won't be as bad with you since you'll have both cars side by side just swapping out. That makes it a lot easier, still a PITA. If you are looking for a race type car, why not just keep the auto? In the long run they are better for drag/bracket racing, hold up to more power etc. I don't want to start a war here auto vs. manual, you could say this is IMHO.
well the 4l60 sucks unless you buy a highly moded stage 4 for about 2500 bucks. and im not all about consistency yet as i am fun. besides i can put 8 passes on the t-56 all within a tenth at worst normally. guess the inconsistance is all in the drivers skill off the line.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

however once i see what it will do with the auto i might just kick myself into keeping the auto and just replacing it with a th350 when i blow it up shortly
Old 01-31-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool

White 01 TA for $15.8K at a Nissan dealer about two miles from my house.

Too bad I'm upside down on my current one...
Old 01-31-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Texfinn

that is about what im looking to get. i have probably lower miles.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
however once i see what it will do with the auto i might just kick myself into keeping the auto and just replacing it with a th350 when i blow it up shortly
I think you'll be impressed, when I blew my 700r4 up, I put in a probuilt one with a TCI 2500 stall. The trans shifted sooo quick! Quicker then any manual car i've ever seen. Everytime I raced manuals, I would always pick up a lot of more ground when they shifted, I was really amazed how well the trans was. The only problem with that is, it's to boring!!!! Shifting is so much fun, it gives me something to do while driving But when I get a decent amount of money, probably not until after college, I want to build up a nice auto f-body race car.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Texfinn

How many miles were on that? Is it a WS6? 6 speed? The one I was looking at was at a nissan/chevy dealership as well.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

How many miles were on that? Is it a WS6? 6 speed? The one I was looking at was at a nissan/chevy dealership as well.
he lives in tx
Old 02-01-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

yea, im still in college too, so the funds for my race car are limited at the moment. but ill manage one mod at a time. usually one a week
Old 02-01-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
he lives in tx
Yeah, I didn't think about buying it, just curious. Being in school kills my money! I have to find a second job so I can mod the car. I am waiting to hear back fomr a few dealerships that are outta state, (PA/NJ). It is cheapier there then in DE I guess. I ma looking to get a non WS6 now though. The hood isn't really functionally anyway, and most of the suspension parts will be replaced as well, sub frame connectors, lower controll arms, bigger sway bar, drag springs, panrod bar. So that will lower the price a lot for me, and I was considering the raptor hood, similiar to the WS6, but it also has heat extractors at the top of the hood, which will be nice once I put a turbo on it.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

you can find a better deal than that. 19K is a bit much. I just bought an 01 SOM WS6 with 12000 miles for under 20k. I would keep looking.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool

I've only seen them advertising (no miles listed) in the paper and sitting on the lot. Haven't actually gone there yet to look at it. Looks very nice, though.

I'll probably stop by for the heck of it some time next week...
Old 02-01-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BOILER_WS6
you can find a better deal than that. 19K is a bit much. I just bought an 01 SOM WS6 with 12000 miles for under 20k. I would keep looking.
You have to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's it! Less then 20k and it was a SOM WS6!!!!!!!!!!!! That killed me!!!! I might as well go buy a honduh now! Oh man!
Old 02-01-2004, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

yeah i found it online and had my local dealer go get it for me. The car is in immaculate condition. Its even a GM certified. So if I was you I would keep looking, and don't be afraid to drive a little to get it.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:56 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah i found it online and had my local dealer go get it for me. The car is in immaculate condition. Its even a GM certified. So if I was you I would keep looking, and don't be afraid to drive a little to get it.
Really? How did that work? You found it on autotrader and told your dealer to get it? I'd actually like to do that with stuff i'm looking at... How did you approach them about it?
Old 02-01-2004, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Really? How did that work? You found it on autotrader and told your dealer to get it? I'd actually like to do that with stuff i'm looking at... How did you approach them about it?

Well I like working with my salesman (my friend's mom). This is the second car I've bought from her. I just tell her exactly what I want (options, color, etc) and she looks for it through GM auctions. She found a couple for me but they were too much money. She knows I will buy what I want. Most dealerships will trade/sell to other dealerships. My car was for sale by a dealership in Chicago. Since I'm so busy with school/work I didn't have time to get it. I told her about it and asked her to get it for me. She called the other dealership and they said they would sell it to hers for me. They usually charge me a couple hundred dollars to do it but to me it's worth it. I just went and picked up the car from her house. It was just sittin in her garage waiting for me
Old 02-01-2004, 11:21 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hmm... interesting. I knew about dealer trades on new vehicles, I never thought they'd do it on a used car.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Well I like working with my salesman (my friend's mom). This is the second car I've bought from her. I just tell her exactly what I want (options, color, etc) and she looks for it through GM auctions. She found a couple for me but they were too much money. She knows I will buy what I want. Most dealerships will trade/sell to other dealerships. My car was for sale by a dealership in Chicago. Since I'm so busy with school/work I didn't have time to get it. I told her about it and asked her to get it for me. She called the other dealership and they said they would sell it to hers for me. They usually charge me a couple hundred dollars to do it but to me it's worth it. I just went and picked up the car from her house. It was just sittin in her garage waiting for me
Thats awesome!!!!! I wish I could do that, get my SOM from across the country!!!! Then distance really wouldn't be too big of a deal. Is it a 6 speed? I think I am just going to settle for a black one though, SOM is too rare of a car to be a daily driver and having me racing it and ripping it apart(motor build up, turbo etc) I have a friend who can help me get cars through auctions, and she said she can get me them for cost, all I have to do is pretend I am her brother!
Old 02-02-2004, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Thats awesome!!!!! I wish I could do that, get my SOM from across the country!!!! Then distance really wouldn't be too big of a deal. Is it a 6 speed? I think I am just going to settle for a black one though, SOM is too rare of a car to be a daily driver and having me racing it and ripping it apart(motor build up, turbo etc) I have a friend who can help me get cars through auctions, and she said she can get me them for cost, all I have to do is pretend I am her brother!

Yeah it's a Hurst 6 speed with every option available. She got me the original build sheet for the car and I found the original window sticker in the glove box. It was very well taken care of and the only things that was really done to it was SLP loudmouth exhaust and headers, granatelli panhard bar, SFC's, clear lid, K&N, and just a couple of other things. I wanted to get one in the dead of winter because theyre usually so much cheaper. I probably saved at least 3-4K. I always wanted a black one but when I saw this one I knew I had to have it. Auction cars are good, I only like the ones from GM or GMAC auctions because they usually still have a little left on the warranty and they were just program cars/lease turn ins.