New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1200 dollars to spend.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004 | 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NBM2001Z28
I'm sorry but, i think you should just go to the track and learn to drive your car. I'm in a 2001 z28 w/ 322 RWHP and 344 RWTQ and im cutting 2.0X's, 13.03 @109 on the FACTORY tires with only a cut-out consistantly. And btw - I've only been driving since april, and im still 16. learn to drive it then mod it. i want to go back to the track with the little **** i've done and hit some 12's with some Ecsta Supra 712's.

You have a CAMARO.... We are talking about CORVETTES. If you have never drove one you don't understand. Your factory tires are COMPLETELY different. Corvettes have factory runflats. Which is a VERY hard compound.. Corvettes also have Independent Rear Suspension. So the IRS combined with runflats, you get a TON of wheel hop!! It is a completely different ball game, and I am not trying to be an ***.... But you come off as you know everything, and you don't. I don't either..... I have experience with both though!!! He is going to have to get a completely different wheel and tire setup in order to get decent 60' times. 2.2 is horrible, but that is what to be expected from the stock tires. Corvettes will pull 1.4x and 1.5x 60' times with factory weight, so there is an advantage once you get new tires and wheels.
Old 02-04-2004 | 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve98Z
JSS-$25 He has already got the ripper......
MAC headers used-$200 Best headers.... $1500 for offroad setup
True Duals-$300 Already duals... and included with headers
just needs to pick the catback that he think sounds the best... as catbacks will maybe give you 5 hp.
Spec III clutch-$377 $570 plus $110 for new slave and pilot bearing
Lid and filter-$100 He already has the blackwing
Gears-$150 $1500 with hardened output shaft which is a must

total-$1150 Total $3,680 without install... Rear differential and clutch change usually takes 10 hrs... The dealership will try to hit you for two days of labor though.

Just noticed you have a vette, prices are much higher
That is the edited price list.... I have had both f-bodys and C5's...
Old 02-04-2004 | 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=725916

Read through that..... Gears will give you the best gains if you chose between the two. Headers will still wake your car up a lot and give you quite a bit of torque. I would go with LG longtubes or Kook's, if you are going to spend the money! It just depends on what you are doing with your car, or what goals you are trying to achieve? The gears will pull more G's than the headers. A good differential with hardened output shaft...which is a must is around $1500, the offroad header setup is about the same...
Old 02-04-2004 | 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

I thought headers had the nod, now gears are creeping up in the poles.
Old 02-04-2004 | 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

install your own gears. it's NOT nearly as hard as people make it out to be. i've done it- given with was a solid axle, so it may be significantly different. but get a dial indicator, and a very sensitive tourqe measuring device to set pinion preload and get a manual and take your time, you can have it done and save yourself $500.
Old 02-05-2004 | 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bowtiered
install your own gears. it's NOT nearly as hard as people make it out to be. i've done it- given with was a solid axle, so it may be significantly different. but get a dial indicator, and a very sensitive tourqe measuring device to set pinion preload and get a manual and take your time, you can have it done and save yourself $500.

Solid axle is quite a bit different..... The rear differential is a pita on these unless you have done it before. You will have close to $900 in just parts to build one... (gears, install kit, 300m Hardened output shaft, fluid)... and never doing one before or having the tools I would rather pay the extra $600 for insurance, vs. tossing $900 because I screwed up just a little on the install. Hell, even installing the rear differential is quite a bit of work on these cars. It takes 10 hours if you have a lift and power tools, and work fast....