Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Issues....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too.

Last edited by LS14EVR; 11-04-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Thanks for staying with me on this puzzler. Gonna do some more detective work this weekend based on all your suggestions. Will report back...
Old 12-15-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Any updates?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Still can't figure it out. I took it to two different mechanics who also couldn't figure it out. One thought the squeeking sound after shutdown was the AC unit releasing pressure but it does it when the AC unit is off.

I'm still clueless as well as to what is causing the whistling sound as well. Now that it is much colder than when I posted this, it doesn't do it all the time like it used to (but it still does it most of the time). I'm still guessing a small vacuum leak or something regarding the ram air that isn't entirely sealed.

The hunt continues.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ram air not being sealed shouldn't matter, as I don't think it's really sealed 100% from the factory (correct me if I'm wrong). If you have an air leak on the intake you should look at stuff past the lid or even if the intake manifold isn't sealed correctly.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

did you remove the a/c belt to completely rule it out?
Old 12-15-2010, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
The ram air not being sealed shouldn't matter, as I don't think it's really sealed 100% from the factory (correct me if I'm wrong).

The "Ram Air" setup isn't really ram air at all, in factory configuration. It was never sealed originally.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99 z
did you remove the a/c belt to completely rule it out?
I didn't remove the belt but I did view the engine from above and below on shutdown with the AC off and the squeak happens while the AC belt is not turning. Did the same with the two cooling fans and the squeak still happens even when neither fan is turning.

Whatever it is, it is not effecting performance in any way. I have a vacuum gauge that reads normal at all times, the dyno numbers are on par with the build (400 rwhp), it starts in ultra cold weather, it gets 19/28 mpg and it runs like a raped ape when you want it to.

Gremlins.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Add some sound-deadening material and you're good to go then
Old 12-16-2010, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by danbrazda
I didn't remove the belt but I did view the engine from above and below on shutdown with the AC off and the squeak happens while the AC belt is not turning. Did the same with the two cooling fans and the squeak still happens even when neither fan is turning.

Whatever it is, it is not effecting performance in any way. I have a vacuum gauge that reads normal at all times, the dyno numbers are on par with the build (400 rwhp), it starts in ultra cold weather, it gets 19/28 mpg and it runs like a raped ape when you want it to.

Gremlins.
The reason i asked is because I was thinking something in the compressor is spinning after the engine stops. Isnt there a clutch that kicks in and out on the compressor? When the engine stops what else could be spinning? the motor drives the a/c, alternater, water pump, power steering. It sounds like something is spinning long after the motor shuts off. Just throwin that out there again. The cooling fans have been mentioned. How bout the fan for your heater/ a/c? I cant think of a way it would run when the switch is off though.
Just tryin to help.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 99 z
The reason i asked is because I was thinking something in the compressor is spinning after the engine stops. Isnt there a clutch that kicks in and out on the compressor?
I still say that it's worthwhile to pull the A/C belt, run the engine, and see what happens. I suggested that last time this thread came up as well, for the same reason.

If there is something internal that continues to spin after engine shutdown, the only way to find out would be to prevent it from spinning in the first place, thus pull the belt.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

not 100% sure but isnt the a/c compressor reciprocating pistons? reason being i dont think it would continue to turn over after the engine is shut down due to it trying to compress refrigerant. kinda like your engine will stop rotating without combustion..... the act of trying to compress something will stop rotation without something continuing the cycle. does that make sense?

sounds to me something in the AIR system isnt capped but i know you said you capped everything.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Launching!

OK- I'm an idiot. I at least figured out the squeaking sound after shutdown. Yes, it is indeed the cooling fans. I ruled it out long ago because I thought they were not spinning when I looked at them from ABOVE the engine bay with my head canted at a weird angle. Today was the first time I actually had the car up on all four corners and could crawl underneath with a really good angle on everything. The fans are the culprit. Sorry to those who recognized early on.

So for anyone who I haven't alienated from this thread, what can I do short of replacing the fans to quiet things down? I've tried all kinds of lube but nothing shuts them up. There doesn't seem to be easy access to the inner workings of the fan where the source of the squeaking is coming from. Does the entire assembly need to be taken apart to get inside and grease things up? Also- the fans seem to kick on all the time on start up even if the car is cold- obviously a separate problem.

And yes, the loud whistling sound persists but I can now spend more time with that now that I know the squeak is more of an annoyance than a problem.

My apologies again but I guess that's why this is called the newbie area.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, at least you found it
Old 12-20-2010, 02:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

OK- I'm an idiot. I at least figured out the squeaking sound after shutdown. Yes, it is indeed the cooling fans. I ruled it out long ago because I thought they were not spinning when I looked at them from ABOVE the engine bay with my head canted at a weird angle. Today was the first time I actually had the car up on all four corners and could crawl underneath with a really good angle on everything. The fans are the culprit. Sorry to those who recognized early on.

So for anyone who I haven't alienated from this thread, what can I do short of replacing the fans to quiet things down? I've tried all kinds of lube but nothing shuts them up. There doesn't seem to be easy access to the inner workings of the fan where the source of the squeaking is coming from. Does the entire assembly need to be taken apart to get inside and grease things up? Also- the fans seem to kick on all the time on start up even if the car is cold- obviously a separate problem.

And yes, the loud whistling sound persists but I can now spend more time with that now that I know the squeak is more of an annoyance than a problem.

My apologies again but I guess that's why this is called the newbie area.
LOL! Yeah I knew that sounded exactly like my fans when they did that. Oh well, no problem, sometimes we all miss the simple stuff.

As for fixing it, I never bothered to. I don't know if the motors are serviceable (I never investigated this). Replacement might be the only option, if it really drives you nuts. Once I knew what it was, it didn't really bother me any more.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I'm just going to leave the squeaky fans alone and focus on the possible vacuum leak. I guess the AIR system is worth another look. Is there maybe something behind the intake that needs to be capped? It's a bitch seeing back there even with a mirror.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Thought I would post a vid of the engine sounds- not sure if this will help, but...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=M4H00179.mp4
This is how my car sounds what is that?!! its been driving me nuts for over a year now trying to figure out whats making that sound?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JM0523
This is how my car sounds what is that?!! its been driving me nuts for over a year now trying to figure out whats making that sound?
Which sound? The whistle while running or the squeaking after shutdown? The squeaking is the cooling fans but I still haven't figured out the whistle. Spent an hour today making sure everything from my AIR delete was capped off and it was so I think that is out. Hopefully this one turns out to be harmless like the squeak. Car runs great so I don't think it is anything too serious.

If you figure it out please post the solution.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Glad you figured out the squeek.

Other issue has to be a vacuum leak. I'd just start squeezing hoses while it's running. See if you can get the tune to change! lol
Old 12-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Looked at some diagrams of what is behind the intake and started pulling off all the extra AIR system stuff that was still on my car after the pump was removed. Removed the vacuum line elbows, the check valve and the vacuum solenoid (the shutoff valve was already off). I then reached behind the intake and felt where one of the elbows attached to the tee and capped that off.
Question- the other part of the tee goes to what? Can that be removed and capped or should I leave it alone?