Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed in choosing a WS6

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed in choosing a WS6

Currently, I have a 2001 Mustang GT in good condition. I've always wanted a WS6 but because of the $$$, I never bought one. A dealer recently sent me an e-mail regarding a 2002 Mineral Grey WS6, that he's selling for $24,800.
I think that's alot of money; however, it is one serious looking badass. The following is what I know about it so far:
2002 PONTIAC Firebird WS-6 Trans AM
Silver,
18,521 Miles 2 DR COUPE, 5.7 liter
8 CYL., FUEL INJECTED, 6 SPEED MANUAL

POWER STEERING
POWER BRAKES
POWER DOOR LOCKS

POWER WINDOWS
AM/FM STEREO RADIO
CD PLAYER

GAUGE CLUSTER
TRIP ODOMETER
TACHOMETER

AIR CONDITIONING
TILT STEERING WHEEL
CRUISE CONTROL

DRIVER SIDE AIR BAG
FRONT BUCKET SEATS
RECLINING SEATS

LEATHER UPHOLSTERY
RADIAL TIRES
ALLOY WHEELS

INTERVAL WIPERS
REAR DEFROSTER
CONSOLE

CARPETING
DUAL SPORT MIRRORS
DRIVER SIDE REMOTE MIRROR

REAR SPOILER
LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL
MAP LIGHTS

INSIDE HOOD RELEASE
CIGARETTE LIGHTER

Currently, I owe $12K on my Mustang.
Is this deal a steal?
Here's another question, are there any major differences between the 200 - 2002 WS6's. I don't want to be paying a car note for the rest of my life; therefore if there's no real difference maybe I should opt for an older model with less miles (if I could ever find one).
To make matters worse, over the weekend I downloaded a race between a WS6 and a Mustang Cobra. Now I don't know what year of the Cobra that it was but damn. That WS6 blew that cobra away. The Cobra didn't have a chance. I'm thinking that the WS6 had to have been on the laughing gas. I sat there with my mouth open.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did you price it using Kelly Blue Book? Looks like about right. I priced my 2001 with a slightly more miles on it - and it was a few grand less then that.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it is not a steal, that's for sure. I am not saying it is overpriced, but that price is definitely not a steal, at least not in the midwest (see you are in NY). Don't worry about finding a low mileage F body, there are plenty out there. I bought my '98 a couple of months ago with only 42k on it. Just buy the one you really want, and pay the amount that will let you sleep well at night. nada . com has some really useful tools to find out what others are really paying for the cars in your area. Check it out.

Never pay a dealer the asking price for a car. As a rule I always start out lowballing 20% below their asking price and go from there. Sometimes you win, sometimes they sell to someone else that is willing to pay a higher price. Go test drive it, ask if you can contact the previous owner. Ask them what the dealer paid them for the car. You will be surprised, the dealer may have only paid 18k for the car on a trade in.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

sounds like a sweet ride. good luck w/it.... and if ya do get it.... post some pics so we can share in your joy. lol.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there was never any gray Ws6's made... so that is questionable.

98-02 are all about the same, little differences, but nothing like 98 to 99 gt differences.

Ryan
Old 02-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Teching In

As far as asking price, that's pretty reasonable, though I would not pay it. Think of it, the car is already two years old.

I know a guy who purchased a 2000 WS-6 last year. He let it sit on the lot for at least four months. Who knows how long it had been there before that. They came down to $500 less than what he wanted them to come down to. He won. Not everyone wins. Question is, if you were to specially order that car, is that the exact car you would order? His was. If not, they better come down to below $20K or it's not even worth it. Like they say, you'll find another one you like better. If they won't come down in price, get them to throw in extras (i.e. extra keys, new Z-rated tires, brakes, anything).

FYI--stock WS-6 vs. stock COBRA 2000 and up. I'm pretty sure the COBRA wins every time. I think it pushes out some 400+ HP. I still own a WS-6 though. Wouldn't trade it.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:52 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Slip
FYI--stock WS-6 vs. stock COBRA 2000 and up. I'm pretty sure the COBRA wins every time. I think it pushes out some 400+ HP. I still own a WS-6 though. Wouldn't trade it.
The 99 and 01 Cobra's aren't anything special. The 03 and 04's are the ones the look out for.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Chop-Foo Director

Stock WS6 versus anything other than stock 03 and up cobra,
the WS6 will win.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually the 2003 Cobra is 380 H.P. because it has a blower.
I really like the WS6 because of its power and because of it's looks. It's really a scary looking badass.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bklynstanger
Currently, I have a 2001 Mustang GT in good condition. I've always wanted a WS6 but because of the $$$, I never bought one. A dealer recently sent me an e-mail regarding a 2002 Mineral Grey WS6, that he's selling for $24,800.
I think that's alot of money; however, it is one serious looking badass. The following is what I know about it so far:
2002 PONTIAC Firebird WS-6 Trans AM
Silver,
18,521 Miles 2 DR COUPE, 5.7 liter
8 CYL., FUEL INJECTED, 6 SPEED MANUAL

POWER STEERING
POWER BRAKES
POWER DOOR LOCKS

POWER WINDOWS
AM/FM STEREO RADIO
CD PLAYER

GAUGE CLUSTER
TRIP ODOMETER
TACHOMETER

AIR CONDITIONING
TILT STEERING WHEEL
CRUISE CONTROL

DRIVER SIDE AIR BAG
FRONT BUCKET SEATS
RECLINING SEATS

LEATHER UPHOLSTERY
RADIAL TIRES
ALLOY WHEELS

INTERVAL WIPERS
REAR DEFROSTER
CONSOLE

CARPETING
DUAL SPORT MIRRORS
DRIVER SIDE REMOTE MIRROR

REAR SPOILER
LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL
MAP LIGHTS

INSIDE HOOD RELEASE
CIGARETTE LIGHTER

Currently, I owe $12K on my Mustang.
Is this deal a steal?
Here's another question, are there any major differences between the 200 - 2002 WS6's. I don't want to be paying a car note for the rest of my life; therefore if there's no real difference maybe I should opt for an older model with less miles (if I could ever find one).
To make matters worse, over the weekend I downloaded a race between a WS6 and a Mustang Cobra. Now I don't know what year of the Cobra that it was but damn. That WS6 blew that cobra away. The Cobra didn't have a chance. I'm thinking that the WS6 had to have been on the laughing gas. I sat there with my mouth open.
If it was me I would just keep the GT & mod the hell out of
it. I don't care for ford but at least its a car. Also with
what you owe on the GT that will be slaped on to your WS6
You should just wait for the new camaro/firebird 2005? or 07

2000 Z28 A4
MAS PORTED,EGR,
FRA,LID,LOUDMOUTH
WINGS WEST KIT,
ZL1 HOOD, CROME Z28
EMBLEMS.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

What, There's A New Firebird Coming Out In 2005???????????????????????
Why Didn't Anyone Tell Me That.
I Have To Check This Out.
Zeenutts, You Are The Man
Old 02-02-2004, 05:47 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Bklynstanger
What, There's A New Firebird Coming Out In 2005???????????????????????
Why Didn't Anyone Tell Me That.
I Have To Check This Out.
Zeenutts, You Are The Man
ummmm. No.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Launching!

i havnt heard of a new ta or as for the asking price that not bad but remember it is asking do not pay asking price for any car I bet he paid 17 to 20 for the car at most so try to knock at least 3 gs off also if you sell your car instead of trading you stand to get alot more than the dealer will give no matter what he puts on paper.also try to do financing yourself the dealer woll do it but if he gives you a slighty higher rate he does get somthing out of that.
sorry so long I just hate to see anybody get screwed by car dealers
good luck.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't hold youre breath about any new bird coming any time soon!!! I think it's almost safe to say that the firebird name is as good as dead......camaro may come back but that is not a lock by any means. For the ?? If you are going to mod any year f-body will do, one thing I will tell anyone buying a ls1 is take a good listen for piston slap, some will say it's fine and won't hurt anything and some have new motors and extended warranty's because of it.....just an FYI..good luck f-bodys rock!!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 07:03 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by Slip
FYI--stock WS-6 vs. stock COBRA 2000 and up. I'm pretty sure the COBRA wins every time.
put the crack down . beyond the 03 cobra the ls1 will win agains iteration of the 4.6 stock vs stock.

and to the OG poster i'd pass on that, your best bet private party. the depretiation is too great on the fbody to be paying 24k still

and like ryan said, there is no mineral gray ws6. maybe you got the color wrong or something. to be sure check the door code for the RPO list and make sure is says WS6.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:25 AM
12 Second Club

Go back look at all the numbers with and with out trade. Then leave and think it over. Hopefully this time will make them sweat and bring the price down. Have you tried to sell your GT privately? if not I would try to sell it myself then start the hunt for a Fbody. Or you could keep the 01 GT (I had one before my Corvette, Black/Black 5speed) swap out the gears to 4:10 or higher get some DR's and have fun. The Fbody prices will likely hit the short term low soon. Wait it out a little, I have purchased a few cars in the past off of pure emotion and want, then regret set in and you have to live with it for awhile. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys thanks for all of your advice.
I don't want to make an expensive impulsive decision. Since I only have $12,000 left to pay on my GT, I think that I'll just pay that off and then see what happens in the future. $24K I think is a lot of money and then when you throw the additional $12K that I owe on top of that......It just ain't worth it. Maybe one day though, Pontiac will bring back my true favorite car--THE 1977 "SMOKIE & THE BANDIT" TRANS AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

My last Pontiac was a 79 10th Anniv. So I know how you feel about the 77. Good luck.