Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do a4 vs a6

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking

I drive 110 miles every day round trip to work and back in LA Traffic, from Pasadena to Irvine and I have an M6. This is the first car I have owned with an M6 and I LOVE IT! I would never trade it for anything! I was very hesitant at first about getting the M6 or not but I am so happy I got the M6. It all depends how much you like driving stick. Blasting through the gears on open roads totally out weighs the 2-3 hrs of traffic driving I do everyday. In the end it is up to you, but for someone who had never owned a manual before, I love it, but I also love "driving" my car and not just sitting back and letting it do its own thing. I appreciate the technical aspect of driving an M6 well.

Final advice, don't be a *****, get the M6!

Old 02-04-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by skytower31
I drive 110 miles every day round trip to work and back in LA Traffic, from Pasadena to Irvine and I have an M6. This is the first car I have owned with an M6 and I LOVE IT! I would never trade it for anything! I was very hesitant at first about getting the M6 or not but I am so happy I got the M6. It all depends how much you like driving stick. Blasting through the gears on open roads totally out weighs the 2-3 hrs of traffic driving I do everyday. In the end it is up to you, but for someone who had never owned a manual before, I love it, but I also love "driving" my car and not just sitting back and letting it do its own thing. I appreciate the technical aspect of driving an M6 well.

Final advice, don't be a *****, get the M6!

Here we go again. Take an auto and give it a monster TC, shift kit and slicks. Then take a M6 and give it a better clutch, shifter and slicks. Neither has added any Horses so all else being equal the M6 will still out RWHP the A4. Now run them down a 1/4 mile track against each other and see who wins. The problem with you calling that A4 a Pu$$y is that it's speculation on your part.

After all you can't tell the gender when all you can see is it's a$$

Yes I took offense to that last remark. There is more to driving a car then shifting. Launching is an art that has to be practiced and mastered by either one. The biggest advantage having an M6 gives you is the ability to downshift at will to whatever gear you want. That is a huge advantage for road courses and autocross but not really an issue for the drag strip and "normal" driving.

If you never drag race and it's your daily driver then yes I agree the M6 is the way to go. Even if you never drove a stick before you can always learn. But if you want to run the 1/4 mile then get an auto and put an appropriate stall TC in it. Either way your a LS1 owner which makes you cool as heck. Either way your gonna have fun with your car. Either way your anything BUT a pu$$y!
Old 02-04-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont let the traffic scare you man. once i put 4.10's in the car i could drive my racing clutch in traffic with ease. also the bs about a m6 being inconsistant is just that bs. its inconsistance is in the driver. i will on any day go to the track and run 6 passes within a tenth. last time it was all with in a half tenth of each other. im going to a auto just because i dont want to rebuild tranys every few months on my 9 sec project car. im just getting a th400
Old 02-04-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

darrensls1formula,
I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment, hence the after the comment. That is more of a comment I use for myself whenever I am hesitant about something regarding my car. That statement would really only apply if someone was thinking "I love driving stick, but my leg might hurt from driving it in traffic for a long time". Either flavor of LS1 is awesome and yes, this debate will and can go on forever, but it always comes down to the driver and their preferences. I haven't gotten into either type of racing, but I knew I wanted the M6 just because I find it way more fun to drive.

Again I didn't mean to offend anyone, that is just the phrase I use whenever I can't decide.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about personal preference. I had a 94Z 6 speed as my daily driver a year or so ago. I found it very annoying as a daily driver dealing with traffic especially on my weekly trips to downtown NYC. That being said I could not bring myself to buy an automatic in an Fbody. I decided to buy a car with an automatic as my daily driver and got an 02 Z M6 as my fun car.

Again, this was my personal preference. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the guys who have A4's. You need to decide which is right for you. No one can tell you as this is very subjective.

Last edited by Mike02Z; 02-04-2004 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well this is actually the first auto "sports car" I have ever owned. I love it at the track for sure.

I missed downshifting at those important times so when I had the tranny rebuilt (due to many numerous and brutal N2O runs) I had them make it as strong as you can make an 460e. Made sure I threw in a good shift kit and a temp gauge for the tranny. I downshift all the time now for those highway corners and such.

Now I am sure I could not road course with it like that (unless I had a big *** cooler) but for how -I- drive. It is good.

How many 10 second (or less) LS1's are M6's? Compare that to the number of autos. Of course you will probably be running a TH350 by then.

In the end it is up to you.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by skytower31
darrensls1formula,
I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment, hence the after the comment. That is more of a comment I use for myself whenever I am hesitant about something regarding my car. That statement would really only apply if someone was thinking "I love driving stick, but my leg might hurt from driving it in traffic for a long time". Either flavor of LS1 is awesome and yes, this debate will and can go on forever, but it always comes down to the driver and their preferences. I haven't gotten into either type of racing, but I knew I wanted the M6 just because I find it way more fun to drive.

Again I didn't mean to offend anyone, that is just the phrase I use whenever I can't decide.
That's cool. So many M6 guys really like to bash A4's that it gets hard to tell whose using terms figuratively and who's using them literally. I apologise for misinterpreting your remark in the first post.

Smokin01ta,

I agree 100% with your comment on M6's and consistancy. It's the driver not the car that tends to be inconsistant. Problem is most M6 drivers are prone to making "human mistakes" and perhaps just not the best of drivers in a racing/redline shifting situation. Great manual drivers have no inconsistancy. Good manual drivers have little inconsistancy. It's the average manual drivers that experience inconsistancy. At least until they get enough passes down the track and ask enough questions to move up into the good or great driver catagory.

I love M6's. I actually want one but not as a replacement to my A4 just in addition to. My ultimate goal is to have an A3 track monster with heavy mods for racing and a M6 bolt-on for daily driving and tooling around town. That IMHO is the best of both worlds.