New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intermittent power loss of electronics?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default intermittent power loss of electronics?!

I just got this car, it is a 2002 ws6 trans am. Out of nowhere on the highway I started losing my electronics. They would turn off and on while driving down the highway. The service vehicle soon light would come on then the TSC light would come on then I would lose my RPM and coolant gauge. Then my turn signals stopped working. I took it to the shop and they reprogrammed the car's electrical system and module. Somehow the problem got worse, they said the code was intermittent connection loss or something of that nature. Now when I drive the car, the radio and dash gauges flicker on and off the whole drive and the SVS and TCS and RPM gauge will go out on the highway at low rpm's which makes no sense. any input? the shop is stumped and tried pulling my aftermarket radio to see if it was the problem but nothing.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Teching In

could be the body control module. it has a relay of some sort in it that is real common for acting up and taking out the power windows and radio, may also take out other stuff but not sure. i haven't studied the wiring diagram on those that much
Old 12-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

It's a large short of some type. Most have found the problem with the battery connections themselves or with the main ground.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the voltage regulator... try testing/replacing your alternator.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Had this same problem in a Z32 I had. Turned out it was my Alternator soon after my battery drained out. Replaced it and the problem went away. I would give that a go. At least have yours tested. Its a pretty cheap fix if that's the only thing wrong with it.

If not check all your wiring harness ground's.