New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission...electronic or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission...electronic or not?

Ok...newb here....whats the advantages/disadvantages of each? Electronic controlled or other. I am putting an LS1 in a 95 Z28. All comments/info appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Electronic are typically easier to tune shift points and have more adjustability. However, a lot of the non-electronic transmissions are stronger and cheaper to run. Also, they give you the option for manual valve bodies.

Jon
Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I kind of disagree with the above statement that electronic transmissions are easier to tune. A better description of it would be that you don't have to get dirty to tune them and can do it while sitting in your house or shop. Then spending a few minutes uploading the new tune while in the car.

If you compare a 4L60E to a 700R4, the 700 responds better to mechanical tuning, the only way you can tune it. While the 4L60E can be mechanically and electronically tuned, and should be both (not just electronically) it sometimes only gets electronically tuned and still doesn't work properly, (the owner is just satisfied by the firmer shifts, not paying attention to shift tie up or slide in). Typically the person doing the tuning will not pull the valve body off to mechanically tune a 4L60E to make it 100% correct.

IMO this is one reason they have such a high failure rate with even low power.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I have a 95 Z that i am putting an LS1 in front of......What can I expect as far as compatibility. I know There are some changes needed....