New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Knocking when cold...normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i mean if it was any other car, Cadillac, BMW, Hyundai, and the motor knocked/slapped when cold, and it was under warranty, wouldn't you take iit in to be fixed? GM isn't that low of quality right?
Old 02-16-2004, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

there is no fix for piston slap.........that's caused by carbon buildup in these engines.........yes i know it's annoying.....but the dealers are doing what they are told by gm......as far as pinging.....it is a knock sensor concern.....replace those and seal the rubber plugs covering the sensors with sealer......what is happening is water is corroding the sensors ...i'm sure most of you have seen some type of corrosion on the knock sensors....and the using oil 1/2 qt every 1k........well it depends on how you drive......but more than likely it is a pcv valve/valve cover problem.........what your dealers are refering to when they say let them soak it over night.......thats disolving the carbon buildup on top of your slugs..........
Old 02-16-2004, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
your dealer is a moron.... carbon build up.... hahahahaaaaahhahahaaa...
walk up to him point in his face and laugh....
what exactly is he going to soak it in???

he wants 190 bucks and your car to take his gf out on the town in a nice car
if your burning up oil it could be anything from piston rings to gaskits ....
pay 25 bucks to get a REAL mechanic to go with you to your dealer ...
tell him why he's full of it and make him fix your car ....
Yeah thats about what I did. I went to another dealer and told him about the problem and he had his mechanic take a look at it and he told me it was exactly what I thought....a bad lifter.... got it fixed under the warranty
Old 02-16-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rchumsae
Im looking into getting a 98+ Trans am, and i test drove a nice WS6 the other day, it was a 2001 with 30,000 miles. The motor was knocking when it started up untill it warmed up, the guy said they all do it. Is this true? or is it suttn i should be concerned with? Thanks a lot.
yea, it's normal
Old 02-17-2004, 02:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by samz28
i mean if it was any other car, Cadillac, BMW, Hyundai, and the motor knocked/slapped when cold, and it was under warranty, wouldn't you take iit in to be fixed? GM isn't that low of quality right?
cadillac is gm
Old 02-17-2004, 02:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by xtreme2001
there is no fix for piston slap.........that's caused by carbon buildup in these engines.........yes i know it's annoying.....but the dealers are doing what they are told by gm......as far as pinging.....it is a knock sensor concern.....replace those and seal the rubber plugs covering the sensors with sealer......what is happening is water is corroding the sensors ...i'm sure most of you have seen some type of corrosion on the knock sensors....and the using oil 1/2 qt every 1k........well it depends on how you drive......but more than likely it is a pcv valve/valve cover problem.........what your dealers are refering to when they say let them soak it over night.......thats disolving the carbon buildup on top of your slugs..........
piston slap is caused by carbon build up huh??....
sweet lord.. so i had carbon build up at 8 miles??? cause thats how many miles my car had on it ...it slapped then it slaps now ... funny i have seen tear downs on several ls1's that i know slapped ...
never seen any of them have unusual carbon build up...
who put that info out there???
how you drive should not have anything to do with 1/2 qaurt every thousand miles unless those 1000 miles where done at daytona
so you would let a dealer grease monkey put a solvent soaking in your motor over night let them break down every last bit of oil in your motor then trust them to prime the motor b4 the start it up???

hey good luck with that...
Old 02-17-2004, 02:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01blufrmla
Yeah thats about what I did. I went to another dealer and told him about the problem and he had his mechanic take a look at it and he told me it was exactly what I thought....a bad lifter.... got it fixed under the warranty
good job
Old 02-18-2004, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

piston slap is caused by carbon build up huh??....
sweet lord.. so i had carbon build up at 8 miles??? cause thats how many miles my car had on it ...it slapped then it slaps now ... funny i have seen tear downs on several ls1's that i know slapped ...
never seen any of them have unusual carbon build up...
who put that info out there???
how you drive should not have anything to do with 1/2 qaurt every thousand miles unless those 1000 miles where done at daytona
so you would let a dealer grease monkey put a solvent soaking in your motor over night let them break down every last bit of oil in your motor then trust them to prime the motor b4 the start it up???

hey good luck with that...

I WORK AT A DEALER ........AND I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT BECAUSE I SEE IT ALL THE TIME.YOU SEEM TO KNOW ALOT ABOUT THESE ENGINES........JUST HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DO YOU HAVE....SERIOUSLY.I REALLY WANT TO KNOW...........I'VE BEEN A TECHNIICAN FOR OVER 15 YEARS...AND GM HAS A BULLETIN OUT FOR OIL CONSUMPTION........THE STUFF AS YOU CALL IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING TO THE MOTOR...IT DISOLVES THE CARBON BUILDUP ON TOP OF THE PISTONS......AND YES OIL CONSUMPTION DOES HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH DRIVING HABITS..........1 QT OF OIL USAGE BETWEEN OIL CHANGES IS NORMAL.......HAS BEEN AND ALWYAS WILL BE AND THE HARDER YOU RUN IT THE MORE IT WILL USE...BUT IT WILL NOT USE ANY MORE THAN A QT OR SO.....1 QT PER 1000 MILES....SURE THERE MAY BE A PROBLEM.........MORE LIKELY A PCV VALVE OR LOOSE DRAIN PLUG......OH YEAH, SINCE YOU KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT EVRYTHING.....WHY DOES GM OFFER A CUSTOMER WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT PISTON SLAP A 100000 MILE WARRANTY ON THE ENGINE?
BECAUSE THERE IS NO EVIDENSE THAT PISTON SLAP HAS CAUSED ENGINE FAILURE....THEY ARE THE ONLY ONE'S WHO WILL STAND BEHIND THIS PROBLEM........FORD AND DODGE DOESN'T....JUST A LITTLE FYI FOR YA.......
Old 02-18-2004, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

oh yeah, here's a little more info for ya......there is a differnce between ticking and knocking..........GM has a technical bulletin out for torn o rings on the oil pump pick up tube.......for ticking when cold.....and occasionally when warm....you may have a torn oring.....causing oil pressure problems....this will cause the lifters to tap
Old 02-18-2004, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

how do you know it uses 1 quart in 5000 miles?
your not going 5000 between changes are you?
Yes, I do. Good ol' Mobil 1.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
Old 02-19-2004, 01:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1_Disciple
i use mobil 1 as well... every 2500 miles...(sorry i love my babys more then most) i dont test other ppls theorys with my cars...

not flamin you just wont go that long with out a change...
Old 02-19-2004, 02:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by xtreme2001
I WORK AT A DEALER ........AND I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT BECAUSE I SEE IT ALL THE TIME.YOU SEEM TO KNOW ALOT ABOUT THESE ENGINES........JUST HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DO YOU HAVE....SERIOUSLY.I REALLY WANT TO KNOW...........I'VE BEEN A TECHNIICAN FOR OVER 15 YEARS...AND GM HAS A BULLETIN OUT FOR OIL CONSUMPTION........THE STUFF AS YOU CALL IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING TO THE MOTOR...IT DISOLVES THE CARBON BUILDUP ON TOP OF THE PISTONS......AND YES OIL CONSUMPTION DOES HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH DRIVING HABITS..........1 QT OF OIL USAGE BETWEEN OIL CHANGES IS NORMAL.......HAS BEEN AND ALWYAS WILL BE AND THE HARDER YOU RUN IT THE MORE IT WILL USE...BUT IT WILL NOT USE ANY MORE THAN A QT OR SO.....1 QT PER 1000 MILES....SURE THERE MAY BE A PROBLEM.........MORE LIKELY A PCV VALVE OR LOOSE DRAIN PLUG......OH YEAH, SINCE YOU KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT EVRYTHING.....WHY DOES GM OFFER A CUSTOMER WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT PISTON SLAP A 100000 MILE WARRANTY ON THE ENGINE?
BECAUSE THERE IS NO EVIDENSE THAT PISTON SLAP HAS CAUSED ENGINE FAILURE....THEY ARE THE ONLY ONE'S WHO WILL STAND BEHIND THIS PROBLEM........FORD AND DODGE DOESN'T....JUST A LITTLE FYI FOR YA.......

sigh well your good at yellen, but not so good at reading...
i started out by saying piston slap is normal...
wow .. 15 years as a gm tech huh...

since really .. you want to know...
9 years building motors and racing everything from carberated 502's to my current ls1...
i love gm... but comeon man your on LS1 TECH.. did you expect to impress everyone with your job? i say the things i say cause i cant count the number of friends have been told bogus info by GM TECH that i had to go in there and explain why they where wronge just so they would get off there *** and do the work that was covered by warranty...
does this apply to all gm tech.. hell no. i know some good ones. but the fact that you are one is in no way a qualification for you as an expert...

so tech... maybe its me who should be concerned .. because in 2500 miles my ls1 does not use any measureable amount of oil... every time.... oh yeh it has 40,000 miles and i drive it like i stole it ...

as for the "stuff" your talking about.....
lets see...
you put this stuff in and soak it on top of the pistons all night...
but wait ... you dont have the motor on... that means there is no oil pressure.. and since the pistons are now cold then they and the piston rings have shrunk..just a little bit.. since of cource you know that metal like all things shrinks when its cold...
that being the case... what exactly is keeping this magic decarboniser from leaking down into my oil?
so master tech that you are... givin this info .. you would of cource drain all the oil the next day, do a full engine flush to make sure all this "stuff "is out
and then of cource you would prime the motor well to insure it has a good coat of oil protecting the parts b4 you start it right?

or does the fact that the motor knows you are a master gm tech mean that it will knows better then to let anything contaminate it

if your gonna come to a battle of wits at least come armed
i know the crap you guys sell ppl... i aint buyen..

have a nice day
Old 02-19-2004, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

that crap as you call it is top engine cleaner.and no it doesn't harm bearings.you have to remove the spark plugs to get it out of each cylinder...and if it does go past the rings as you state...it isn't enough to amoumt to anything....no damage from this stuff.....also BG makes decabonizer as you call it......Building a race engine is not like building an everyday engine....and i never stated i knew everything......i just have enough experience to know the difference and not rag on someone who is trying to make a living......the GM TECH is doing what he is told to do.....and believe me we don't get paid to make decisions of spending anyone's money.....it's up to GM,FORD,DODGE,and all the other companies out there to do what they can.....we just work for them......and the last i checked "WARRANTY" doesn't pay but 9.5 hrs to replace both head gaskets.Thats not alot of time concidering you have to torque the head bolts in 3 different steps....Not alot of guys want to do that work....but WE have to do it anyways.....THE POINT i was trying to make is we aren't all just f@#$ ups as i gather your trying to make us out to be......thank you
Old 02-20-2004, 01:39 AM
11 Second Club

again... not all gm techs are f-ups...
i know some great ones...
and i know that you have to do what your told...... thats part of the problem dude...
i am not saying its YOUR fault...
as for the cleaner..
ANYTHING that makes it past does damage... you may not see it b4 you sell it as is the case with most of your customers i am sure...
from the time a motor starts to the time it cools off. it is killing itself...
no motor will last forever.
however if you maintain your daily driver like it WAS a race car then it will last you MUCH longer...
most of the guys on this board LOVE the cars they drive. shouldn't harm and absolutly will not are 2 differant things...
i put too much $$ in my cars to have it were down fast because some cleaner found its way into my oil...and my bearings...

if you want to clean your motor fine... clean it... but take the PROPER precautions after it is clean b4 your start it...
i would not have a dealer do it because that gm tech will not ...
am i wronge?
its not cause he doesn't want to ... its cause his boss wont let him spend the extra time...
and i would never down anyone for trying to make a living...
just dont scam ppl to do it.

i know you guys are rushed for time... thats why you will never see my car... thats what i am trying to say.

on a side note 9.5 hours for a head swap should be planty..
at the last sema i went to i watched a master motor builder throw together a small block from scratch ... in 7 hours...

i could not. it takes me about 18-20 hours total(over a weekend)
but i could do a head swap in 9.5 hours
Old 02-20-2004, 09:52 AM
Launching!

GM told me that the cleaner would fix my problems but it didn't do a thing. As a matter of fact the guy promised me it would so when I called him on it they refunded me the $300.00+ dollars it costs. What a waist of time.

Yeah they told me that using 1 quart every oil change and slap was normal but I didn't buy it. Since GM won't do anything about it I had my extended warranty company replace all the rings and pistons. The tech told me that they had to order more than 8 pistons because they are not all the same size. He sized each one up to the cylinder. Cost me $300.00 out of $5,500.00+ because of my deductable.

See GM won't pay out of their pocket to fix the PROBLEM but they will sure take the extended warranty company's money to fix the PROBLEM that they say is normal.

I can't stand when they just won't admit that it's not NORMAL!
Old 02-20-2004, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Quick clarification. Can someone describe this "piston slap" a little better. I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. My LS1 makes some noise when its cold that goes away when its warm. It sounds like a popping in the exhaust when I let the revs come back down, (like when the clutch is in). A little popping. If i rev a little higher when its cold I'll get one loud pop instead of the rumbling/popping from dropping to idle from around 2500 rpms. (I know I'm not supposed to rev when its cold but its just so hard not to sometimes....) Anyway, I've been fed a lot of crap by some GM techs too. Face it, some of them are great, some of them aren't. GM isn't as selective as say.. BMW for their techs...... Would I trade my LS1 for a bimmer. Hells naw. I like being able to chirp all the way into 3 . And theres no satisfaction like driving an American muscle car. Anyway, is the noise I'm getting what you all are talking about?
Old 02-20-2004, 08:30 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

No, it's a tapping/knocking/rattle sound that comes from the engine when cold - especially at lower rpms. Your engine sounds like a diesel for a minute or so.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

again... not all gm techs are f-ups...
i know some great ones...
and i know that you have to do what your told...... thats part of the problem dude...
i am not saying its YOUR fault...
as for the cleaner..
ANYTHING that makes it past does damage... you may not see it b4 you sell it as is the case with most of your customers i am sure...
from the time a motor starts to the time it cools off. it is killing itself...
no motor will last forever.
however if you maintain your daily driver like it WAS a race car then it will last you MUCH longer...
most of the guys on this board LOVE the cars they drive. shouldn't harm and absolutly will not are 2 differant things...
i put too much $$ in my cars to have it were down fast because some cleaner found its way into my oil...and my bearings...

if you want to clean your motor fine... clean it... but take the PROPER precautions after it is clean b4 your start it...
i would not have a dealer do it because that gm tech will not ...
am i wronge?
its not cause he doesn't want to ... its cause his boss wont let him spend the extra time...
and i would never down anyone for trying to make a living...
just dont scam ppl to do it.

i know you guys are rushed for time... thats why you will never see my car... thats what i am trying to say.

on a side note 9.5 hours for a head swap should be planty..
at the last sema i went to i watched a master motor builder throw together a small block from scratch ... in 7 hours...

i could not. it takes me about 18-20 hours total(over a weekend)
but i could do a head swap in 9.5 hours

its cool
Old 02-24-2004, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

you know even if we dont agree . there has been some good info both ways ... thats what is important..
i hope someone gain a little more knowlage one way or the other...

have a nice day
Old 10-05-2010, 09:37 PM

my car sounds like this (a tiny diesel) all the time... so what's my issue? would love to have this fixed before going to the car show this wkend. not entering tho... i've taken my car to several mechanics all which offer no solution and say it's normal but it's also normal for your engine to lock up if you don't put oil in it but that's not how i wanna ride. help please. i have 101k on my engine.

Quick Reply: LS1 Knocking when cold...normal?