New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insuring a modded vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rogue Leader, seeing as how you work for GEICO, maybe you can give me some advice...

I'm looking to insure my cam and springs/retainers/rods as well as the exhaust (headers/Y/cat-back). How sucessful do you think I'll be in trying to get 100% coverage? This is assuming that I take TONS of pictures and have it inspected and complete the paperwork... I've heard other people bitch and moan about things being "routine maintenance"...

One other question - the part about the car having to remain at your permanent address for more than 50% of the year - my car is usually in another area for a good part of the year. How closely would they investigate this for a claim? I mean, its probably at my permanent address just a hair over 1/2 a year...
Old 02-07-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IrateTA
Rogue Leader, seeing as how you work for GEICO, maybe you can give me some advice...

I'm looking to insure my cam and springs/retainers/rods as well as the exhaust (headers/Y/cat-back). How sucessful do you think I'll be in trying to get 100% coverage? This is assuming that I take TONS of pictures and have it inspected and complete the paperwork... I've heard other people bitch and moan about things being "routine maintenance"...

One other question - the part about the car having to remain at your permanent address for more than 50% of the year - my car is usually in another area for a good part of the year. How closely would they investigate this for a claim? I mean, its probably at my permanent address just a hair over 1/2 a year...
Usually they dont care as rate differences betwen the 2 areas youre in arent huge AFAIK off the top of my head... Howver like if you were between Albany and Brooklyn, they would investigate it since theres a massive rate difference and theres often fraud like that. Plus youre a student in PA right? so right there we dont mind that either, because school isnt a permanent address.

As for insuring the parts, Thats pretty tough... They cover stuff like engine swaps and big stereos, body kits etc cause its easy to prove its gone/destroyed etc. Id say ask and give it a shot, I don't really handle that stuff, but Im doubting that they would cover that stuff. Maybe if you had engine build pics and stuff of that nature but youd really have to speak to someone in that department, do you already have a policy with GEICO???
Old 02-08-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I already have a policy. The car isn't my daily driver, I don't commute - just use it on the weekends... keep it under 6,000 miles/year. That kind of stuff.

I'm just worried about coverage in case the car is stolen/totalled. I suppose I could take pictures of the new parts next to the stock parts, or a picture of me actually putting the parts on the car smiling or something.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IrateTA
Yeah, I already have a policy. The car isn't my daily driver, I don't commute - just use it on the weekends... keep it under 6,000 miles/year. That kind of stuff.

I'm just worried about coverage in case the car is stolen/totalled. I suppose I could take pictures of the new parts next to the stock parts, or a picture of me actually putting the parts on the car smiling or something.
LOL the funny part is that would probably be good proof. But seriously though being that youre already a policyholder getting in touch with the people you need to will be easier... Just call up and say you want to add an endorsement to your policy to cover aftermarket equipment, and they can direct you to the right place... Good luck!
Old 03-09-2004, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else have suggestions for insurance companies that will insure mods?
Old 03-09-2004, 06:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nationwide Ins. has this thing called an 'Accident Forgiveness Policy'. They can 'look the other way' if you have not made a pile of claims or had other accidents...

We had a roll-over accident in our Ford Explorer and as a replacement for the truck I got a 2001 Z-28. My Insurance premiums went DOWN... A few months later we came up on our 5 year renewal, and it DROPPED again...
Who would have thought it would be CHEAPER to drive a sports car than a truck?
Nationwide is on MY side... Now I just have to see what they think about covering all the X-tras I got???
Old 03-09-2004, 06:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

GEICO has accident forgiveness too... As long as you havent had a claim in 5 yrs with the company, if you have an at fault accident its not surcharged.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does Nationwide have a website or 800#? I might want to switch, I've got Progressive right now, I'm pretty happy, but want to see if I can lower my rate. I did extensive searching and research before I got my premium and Progressive was the cheapest here. I've never heard of some of the companies suggested through this thread, ie Grundys, Nationwide, but that's probably due to the fact I'm in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
Rouge, no offense to you, but Geico here really bites. I used to work as a receptionist for an Autobody Shop, Geico always had our guys try to use 'aftermarket' replacement parts instead of OEM to keep the costs down. Approx. 90% of the time, they didn't fit, so then they had to spring for OEM parts, increasing the turnaround time for the customer. Also, they gave me an outrageous price for insurance on my '01 SS. Anyhow, I'm just glad it's not like that all over. Thanks for the input guys, any other suggestions are welcome.