Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insuring a modded vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Insuring a modded vehicle

I was inspired by the other thread about insurance but wanted a new topic for this.

The death of my last car was at the hands of an uninsured driver. During this process I came to find out that State Farm and most insurance companies will only consider certain modifications (like a whole custom engine, apparently $5000 in head work is just maintainence ) to be covered under a policy. I got screwed out of the cost of a a recently installed $2k racing transmission on my DSM.

My question is if anyone knows of an insurance company out there that will insure a modified car for everything there are receipts for or allow a value to be declared w/o the car being a classic/antique/etc? I put myself in the same "what if" scenario with State Farm and my Z28 and determined that I'd be screwed out of around $10k-15k in accessories.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be able to get the car insured at its "declared value". Just make sure you have ALL of your reciepts. This could also bite you in the *** though. Just because the insurance company will see you turning the car into a hot rod.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
You might be able to get the car insured at its "declared value". Just make sure you have ALL of your reciepts. This could also bite you in the *** though. Just because the insurance company will see you turning the car into a hot rod.
State Farm flat out does not insure modern cars that way. Has to be an antique, classic, etc. I'm looking specifically for a car company that recognizes people that modify their cars and are willing to insure them.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Metlife and they go by my appraisal.Car worth 18k,if I bring in an appraisal for 30k,they will insure it for that.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I use Metlife and they go by my appraisal.Car worth 18k,if I bring in an appraisal for 30k,they will insure it for that.
THAT is useful information and a possible alternative to amassing a small collection of used LS1 parts just in case the car gets creamed.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Default State Farm

Originally Posted by Emfuser
State Farm flat out does not insure modern cars that way. Has to be an antique, classic, etc. I'm looking specifically for a car company that recognizes people that modify their cars and are willing to insure them.
I had a 1999 Kawasaki ZX9R that was modded and State Farm insured it for a agreed value of 10K. I got nailed by a guy in a mini van with no insurance and they paid up 10k.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

A friend of mine has insurance (not sure with who) on his show car. They will insure everything on his car, given that he has written documetation and pictures of both before and after install. I'll try to find out more about it as soon as i can. I'll post something here shortly.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Try this:

www.grundy.com

They have no age limitations, no mileage limitations, and seem to be a very respectable company. I've been thinking about switching my WS6 over to them. I think the only catch is, that you have to have other cars (meaning your F-body is not your daily driver), and you have to have proof of some sort of garage or such to keep the car in.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder if Grundy will insure cars here in Hawaii...
Old 02-07-2004, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Believe it or not, when I used to have my modified Grand Am (vortech, rims, body kit, etc. etc.) I was able to get an additional $8000 worth of coverage from Geico. It took forever getting the paperwork and inspections done, and I had to increase my premiums - but they covered it. You might want to give them a call.

I'm in the same boat as you guys w/ my WS6 - I need to have this thing completely covered. I can't afford to take a big loss...
Old 02-07-2004, 11:17 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nationwide hooked me up with my Mustang. I think Progressive will as well.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the information. I'll check my options on those.

Old 02-07-2004, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Try this:

www.grundy.com

They have no age limitations, no mileage limitations, and seem to be a very respectable company. I've been thinking about switching my WS6 over to them. I think the only catch is, that you have to have other cars (meaning your F-body is not your daily driver), and you have to have proof of some sort of garage or such to keep the car in.

will grundy insure a 4th gen f-body? i used them when i had my gn and the price was very nice!

i pay almost 900 a year for my car to sit in the garage and collect dust and im 33 with no tickets.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Try this:

www.grundy.com

Grundy is great for a classic car, however they do have age restrictions (as in age of driver over 25), there can be no drivers in the household under 25, and while theres no mileage restrictions, they are a classic company which means they investigate claims hardcore... If your car got creamed on the morning commute to work, be prepared for a hassle.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm I guess it depends on the car with State Farm

They insured my GN for an agreed value of $12k and paid out (after a little fight) they Insured my 89 TTA for $15k also. Anything over $15k required an appraisal but they said if you can prove the value we will cover it.

At GEICO we will cover aftermarket equipment, but like what was mentioned before we need ALL recipts, photos of everything, and a bunch of forms, but its cheap to add the coverage.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

I have a horror story on this subject I had liability insurance from geico. I only had liability due to the fact that I was only 23 and had some tickets to start with so my insurance was already 237 per month...That being said I got hit by another driver while I was at a stop light but he had geico too. In the end despite my providing recipts for 23,000 worth of work that I had done to it over the last 3 years geico cut me a check for 12,000....Talk about suck ***. I'll never put that much money into a car again
Old 02-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Hmmm I guess it depends on the car with State Farm

They insured my GN for an agreed value of $12k and paid out (after a little fight) they Insured my 89 TTA for $15k also. Anything over $15k required an appraisal but they said if you can prove the value we will cover it.

At GEICO we will cover aftermarket equipment, but like what was mentioned before we need ALL recipts, photos of everything, and a bunch of forms, but its cheap to add the coverage.

What the...?

Looks like I need to dig deeper. Is that a current policy? If not, how long ago was this?
Old 02-07-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 94z28ls1
I have a horror story on this subject I had liability insurance from geico. I only had liability due to the fact that I was only 23 and had some tickets to start with so my insurance was already 237 per month...That being said I got hit by another driver while I was at a stop light but he had geico too. In the end despite my providing recipts for 23,000 worth of work that I had done to it over the last 3 years geico cut me a check for 12,000....Talk about suck ***. I'll never put that much money into a car again
That was cause it was a third party payment, if you had collision your coverage would take care of the rest. Unfortunately in that situation, theres no advance proof (such as an appraisal, or collision setup) you can give all the recipts you want, theres no way they will pay... I dont agree with it to an extent, but too many dishonest people would take advantage of it if they did pay for it...
Old 02-07-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

What the...?

Looks like I need to dig deeper. Is that a current policy? If not, how long ago was this?

My GN was stolen in 2000. My TTA was insured on stated value up until May of last year I cant remember. I dropped State Farm when they Jacked my rates and went with GEICO cause I work there and they gave me the best price. Tell State Farm you wat a stated value policy because the car is a collectable car with modifications and I cant see why they wouldnt do it anymnore. Mind you all this was setup Beforehand, so if you had an accident and claim that theres work done to the car they are gonna say tough luck....
Old 02-07-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rogue Leader, seeing as how you work for GEICO, maybe you can give me some advice...

I'm looking to insure my cam and springs/retainers/rods as well as the exhaust (headers/Y/cat-back). How sucessful do you think I'll be in trying to get 100% coverage? This is assuming that I take TONS of pictures and have it inspected and complete the paperwork... I've heard other people bitch and moan about things being "routine maintenance"...