Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHERE/HOW did you pull the LS1

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHERE/HOW did you pull the LS1

So I have everything off that was asked to be off by the book, now what two bolt holes should I use to physically pull it with a chain? obviously ones that are holes that are diagonal to each other, but if anyone could tell me egzactly which ones that would be awesome! thanks guys.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With LSx type engines, GM introduced another way and IMO much safer way of getting the motor out. Using the Valley Cover area, people either bought a motor plate or actual made one out of a extra valley plate. Work mint and does not allow too much slack for trying the get the motor from out, under neath the cowl and over the radiator support.

I have a old school set yup that worked in a similar way but used the 2 common point but the drop from the end of the picker and to the actual attachment points were too much and we had a real rough time getting the sucker out.

IF you use just a chain, I have found the hole in the front/back of the cyl head works the best. going sort of diagnol across the valley cover is the best. On my LT1 cars I have used the Header Bolt holes and a 2 x 4 cut to size to spread out the chain so it wont rub/damage the cyl head cover area
Old 12-14-2010, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

I bought the chain leveler from harbour freight and attached to the back of the heads and the lower front of the block (takes up some slack chain)
Old 12-14-2010, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

I just had a 3/8 sheet metal and drilled the holes so it would align with the valley center section and used the 10mm bolts and bolted it down.
I also put a heavy duty I hook in the center of it so I can pull stright up on it, works great and have used it many of times now.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 406ci68camaro
attached to the back of the heads and the lower front of the block (takes up some slack chain)
This is what i did! Ive taken it out 3 times and works every single time! and also the easiest way ive learned to do it is taking the long bolt off the motor mount .... ive taken the mounts off with motor PITA to bolt down mounts ive taken it off with one mount PITA to bolt down mounts again.... and i took the bolt from the motor mount! works like a charm!