Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Throttle Body Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF Throttle Body Compatibility

Sorry for the newb question....But I'm assuming when you buy a specific MAF Sensor (85 mm) you need to get the same size throttle body?

I just put on a SLP 85 mm Mass Air Sensor on my '02 SS and want to get a throttle body. Do I just have to stick with a 85mm because that's the diameter of my Mass Air?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can so that everything is the same size and air doesn't have to go thru different sized radii of each individual piece but many have ran aftermarket maf with their stock TB, usually ported though and that would be my best solution and cheapest/highest hp possible for your setup. Just have the stock one ported out or if you are really **** about size difference, get an 85mm TB....

It all doesn't matter anyways because the intake manifold afterwards is only 78mm wide at the opening so even if you had a 100mm maf and TB, you still would be a lil small at the intake mouth.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No you don't have to. Honestly a 85mm TB is a waste of money IMO. I would have your factory TB ported and call it good. The larger TB won't add any additional power. Save your money for something else that will pick up some HP. Since the car is a '02, it already has a LS6 intake. Only other thing to upgrade to would be a FAST intake down the road if you decide to do so. However there are a lot better investments before you get to that point.

Jon
Old 12-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Roger that thanks guys. Any ideas on where I could get it ported? Just any performance shop?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MEGATRONSS
Roger that thanks guys. Any ideas on where I could get it ported? Just any performance shop?
scroll through the sponsors there is someone on here that does them, if i could remember the name id tell ya, its very cheap too.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Sweet thanks man