New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch whine from rear of cab?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High pitch whine from rear of cab?

Hey all, I have 2000 SS, this afternoon I was driving with the radio off and my ears started picking up a very high pitch whine. It wasn't very loud but the pitch was high enough to bother me. The noise seemed to come from the rear of the car and responded to my throttle (got louder and higher pitch as I accelerated). I can't hear it from the outside just from the cab. Anyone know what it is? I did some searching and seems it may be the fuel pump. If it is the pump is that a sign it's going bad, or a sign I need to change the filter? Thanks for any help.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Did it get louder as speed increased, or engine rpm? if it seems to get higher and higher pitched the faster you go speed-wise it could point your rearend going out. Happened to mine, took about ~4 months after I noticed it for it to die.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Yes it does but it also does it when I'm not moving and just revving. Could that still be the rear end? Sounds expensive, what all did you have to swap?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Probably not the rearend then, and yes, it was a tad pricey but when mine went it was a bit spectacular...

I was driving it TO THE SHOP to finally have it fixed, suddenly I hear a BANG my car feels as if the back of it got lifted several feet in the air and I coasted to a clunky stop. Thankfully i was going ~25 when it went because I'm sure it could have been A LOT worse at 50+. Turns out the planetary gear fractured, locked into some other gear for a second until it exploded as well... you get the picture.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

It sounds like its the fuel pump just running. maybe getting ready to die? how may miles on the car/ fuel pump?