New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS3 with stock heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011 | 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Default MS3 with stock heads

Im going to be putting a MS3 cam in my 1999 trans am and was wondering if it would be worth it to port the stock heads or will i be better off buying a new set just looking for opinions any information would be helpful im just not really familiar with Ls motors
Old 01-17-2011 | 05:54 AM
On The Tree

My opinion is that to maximize the potential from that cam, pick up a set of PRC heads from texas speed.
Old 01-17-2011 | 06:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

IF you have not done it already your car will need a LS6 intake. I had a buddy with that same cam in a c5 with stock heads/m6 drive train and at first I think it made cam only and SLP LM like 360 rwhp to the tire. Needless to say he was a little disappointed.

I went to a FAST 90/90 set up and sold him mine and with that swap alone and a DIY P&P TB he made like 390ish to the tires.

This is all on the same stock heads you have.

Also to mention was the motor had well over 100k and had blow by on the rings. It was not making the low to mid 400's everyone is accustom to but with some head work it would have been close.

These cams are designed for biggest cam in stock engines, they do still recommend checking for tolerence as fly cutting can still be needed. What these cams like is a point and a half of compression increase and for that a good set of flowing heads with intake to match. At that point fly cutting would certainly be needed to get all of it you can out of it.

Just be mindful that these are top end cams and really do have shitty power from idle till about 4k. So you gotta decide what you want/need.
Old 01-17-2011 | 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

like stated above this a high rpm cam,and needs alot of rear gear and a big stall to work right.this cam needs a lot of bolt on and a good tuner .maybe find some 243s heads ,TSP prc if you can afford it.
Old 01-17-2011 | 10:17 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

The MS3 was designed to be a max effort cam for a stock motor so it will work with no issues on stock heads. I had the MS3 car and it worked great for me. I was able to knock down 390rwhp on 2000 SS with the stock intake so it can still make good power with the ls1 intakes. Obviously you will make more power with aftermarket heads but the magic stick cams have always been made for the stock motor.
Old 01-17-2011 | 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
IF you have not done it already your car will need a LS6 intake. I had a buddy with that same cam in a c5 with stock heads/m6 drive train and at first I think it made cam only and SLP LM like 360 rwhp to the tire. Needless to say he was a little disappointed.

I went to a FAST 90/90 set up and sold him mine and with that swap alone and a DIY P&P TB he made like 390ish to the tires.

Also to mention was the motor had well over 100k and had blow by on the rings. It was not making the low to mid 400's everyone is accustom to but with some head work it would have been close.

These cams are designed for biggest cam in stock engines, they do still recommend checking for tolerence as fly cutting can still be needed. What these cams like is a point and a half of compression increase and for that a good set of flowing heads with intake to match. At that point fly cutting would certainly be needed to get all of it you can out of it.

Just be mindful that these are top end cams and really do have shitty power from idle till about 4k. So you gotta decide what you want/need.

I do plan on putting a ls6 intake on when i swap the cam also planning on doing a full exhaust im still running stock manifolds
Old 01-17-2011 | 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the input guys
Old 01-17-2011 | 01:42 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by blk95formula
I do plan on putting a ls6 intake on when i swap the cam also planning on doing a full exhaust im still running stock manifolds
Spend the $$$ for headers, your choking the car and you will need a retune after you do it anyways.
Old 01-17-2011 | 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Spend the $$$ for headers, your choking the car and you will need a retune after you do it anyways.
yes i will be buying headers
Old 01-17-2011 | 04:58 PM
FormerVendor

IMO, if you haven't ported a set of heads before, I wouldn't mess with them. Let someone with experience do it or purchase a set of heads already done. If you buy the cam package now with the cam, springs, and pushrods, you can get a set of PRC 2.5 5.3L heads without springs down the road for just over $1000. Then you are just looking at a cam swap and add another 40+ HP to the combo!

On the bolt on mods like everyone is talking about, I would get most of them done before the cam. They will help maximize the gains of the camshaft rather than having the cam restricted now and having to add them later to make the power it is supposed to.

Jon
Old 01-17-2011 | 05:17 PM
Teching In

Very useful thread, I´m also going to install my MS3.
Old 01-17-2011 | 06:51 PM
On The Tree

I know this cam is a high rpm cam but just wondering how bad is it up until about 4k my car is a m6 and i dont want a complete lack of power down low
Old 01-19-2011 | 02:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Be quick to downshift and you're good!
Old 01-19-2011 | 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

The MS3 is a great choice just make sure you have the supporting mods to go along with it to really take advantage of it. I recommend keeping the stock heads on until you can afford to step up to a set of PRC heads. The 2.5 5.3 heads make a great addition on a budget, and if you really want to take a step up check out the 215 or 227 PRC heads.
Old 01-19-2011 | 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MYSTIC-1SC
The MS3 is a great choice just make sure you have the supporting mods to go along with it to really take advantage of it. I recommend keeping the stock heads on until you can afford to step up to a set of PRC heads. The 2.5 5.3 heads make a great addition on a budget, and if you really want to take a step up check out the 215 or 227 PRC heads.
ok thanks i dont have the money for heads right now but for sure plan to purchase some when the funds are available
Old 01-19-2011 | 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

No problem man.
Old 01-19-2011 | 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
IMO, if you haven't ported a set of heads before, I wouldn't mess with them. Let someone with experience do it or purchase a set of heads already done. If you buy the cam package now with the cam, springs, and pushrods, you can get a set of PRC 2.5 5.3L heads without springs down the road for just over $1000. Then you are just looking at a cam swap and add another 40+ HP to the combo!

On the bolt on mods like everyone is talking about, I would get most of them done before the cam. They will help maximize the gains of the camshaft rather than having the cam restricted now and having to add them later to make the power it is supposed to.

Jon
great info
Old 01-20-2011 | 12:28 AM
On The Tree

my ms3 put down 385rwhp through a 3200 stall and a moser 12 bolt! it should dyno a little worse since it now has a 4400 vig its not how high they dyno thats cool its how they run at the strip!
Old 01-21-2011 | 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

I made 429 unlocked on a dynojet with a MS3 and PRC Heads. Times are in the sig!
Old 01-21-2011 | 08:59 PM
On The Tree

those are nice numbers

Quick Reply: MS3 with stock heads