Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to stay emissions friendly

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to stay emissions friendly

Okay here is my dilema. I have an 02 z28 I currently have a SLP LM2 exhaust on the car. I just got a good deal on some Hooker stainless 1 3/4 long tube headers w/emissions for a future install. I am trying to stay as emissions friendly as possible and not have any annoying SES lights so I am looking in to catted y-pipes to go with those headers. I was told to get the TSP since it is the least expensive and it works well with Hooker Headers.

The problem I have is if catted y-pipes dont have the rear 02 sensor, what is the point of getting the catted y? To me that tells that you pay extra $$ for cats that dont actually do anything, they "maybe" will pass a visual inspection.

Input on this?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,222 Posts

My input depends on your location and what sort of testing they do.

For anyone that lives in IL, I always recommend an ORY, because we do not have a visual or sniff inspection. If you have an OBD scan only test like us, with proper tuning you don't need cats to pass (nor to keep the SES light off).

If you live in a place with visual inspections, then adding cats to LTs may still not be enough to pass. LT headers move the cats from their original location, and depending on how strict your test standards are, you can fail a visual just by having LTs, even if you install cats as well.

So in summary, the best answer will depend entirely on your local testing specifications.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in R.I. most of the time it is just a plug in OBD2 and scan. It is hit or miss on visual inspections.