Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie From TX Drowning in LS Data - First Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011 | 09:17 PM
Teching In

Default Newbie From TX Drowning in LS Data - First Build

Hey guys,

This is my first post and I am sure I am asking some things that are buried in the thousands of posts but I thought I would at least make an introduction and get some feedback on my LS questions.

I am working on a ground-up street rod build and I wanted to put something different in the car than a traditional SBC. The common theme is build a red 32 ford with a 350 motor and call it good. That's not my plan.

The project is a blend of street rod and vintage indy race car. Some of the vintage motors such as flathead, four bangers, Nailhead, etc. are great hot rod motors but they just don't fit the overall design concept. All of the other drivetrain is modern so a modern motor is needed. Yea I could do a modular Ford motor but this car is no Mustang/Cobra. I like those motors it's just not for this car.

So, the idea I had was why not a carbed LS motor. Possibly even multi-carbed to give it that vintage feel but have all modern engine and trans. So, what's a guy to do? (LS1, LS2, LS6, LQ4, LQ9, etc.)

The car will weight just over 2000 lbs so I don't need like a over the top HP build. The base LS will have plenty of horsepower I am sure. My goal is between 400-500hp with good street manners and a nice thump. I mean it's gotta have a rumble to it right?

So here are my questions:

1) What block variation would you guys seek out?
2) Would you buy crate or build?
3) If you build do you buy fresh block or pickup a block via reman supplier, craigslist, ebay, etc?
4) Keep the stock rotating assembly (obviously depends on LS variant)?
5) Buy kit rotating assembly
6) Last what should I pay for a used block, used block with bottom end, or complete motor? I will be buying an iron block since weight is not an issue and I figured I can put the extra coin in other parts of the motor or car.

As you can see I am all over the map. I am reading several LS books from SA Design, Motorbooks Workshop, etc. I am learning lots but I thought I would get some feedback from you guys.

Thanks for any help and putting up with the newbie questions.

Kevin