Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mobil 1 , royal purple , valvoline

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WipFbody
From what I've read a thinner vecosity oil improves performance. A lot of new engines now require 5w20......because the tolerances in the engine are tighter......which creates more power[/B]. The thinner oil has to get in between the smaller spaces to prevent metal to metal contact. The main problem with thinner oil is "dry starting" after the engine sits for long periods between starts...it drains back down to the pan faster. You can always add a touch in before a perlonged period since you last started it.

Synthedics are usually thinner but are slippery......and adhere to the metal well. They leave a micrscopic film to provide better protection.

False... Thinner oils with a lower first # are better for dry starts as it circulates through the engine faster than a heavier oil..... Just look in your manuel and you will see the colder the climate you are operating in the thinner the recommended the oil will be... BTW most wear occurs on startup...
Old 02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am going to stick to m1 extended performance . This WAS my every day driver but i bought a 95 civic thats ten times faster! NOT.. haha bought a gas saver! So my t/a is a weekend car as of now. Thanks for all the information guys.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

royale pupple is one of the best
Old 02-16-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
The main thing with oil is to change it when you should....if you have noise issues you could always step up to a slightly higher weight oil.
This^^^^

I don't understand why people think the whole oil thing is so complex. Just change your damn oil every 3k miles with a synthetic and you're good.

Quick Reply: mobil 1 , royal purple , valvoline