Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtubes and stock catback

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jetaws6
I hate this comment and a lot of people are on this bandwagon. Have you ever drove your car with open headers? It sounds like a outlaw car. There is no way it sounds the worst. You may think it is way to loud and makes your interior rattle but no way in hell is it the worst sounding option.
Seriously, have you ever driven a car with open headers? I did for too long. It sounds like total *** at part throttle (where you drive 99% of the time), and only sounds decent at at WOT (which you do for what, 13 seconds max?).

I hate when people think loud = good sound. That's the mentality a lot of imports have. Good sound > loudness.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsick
I hate when people think loud = good sound. That's the mentality a lot of imports have. Good sound > loudness.
You are a smart man.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

My true dual exhaust: pacesetters LTs, custom x pipe and dynomax bullets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgFbnIBUgM4

Random youtube video: pacesetter LTs, Y pipe, and flowmaster catback.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqjz_...eature=related

The Y pipe sounds terrible, all kinds of rasp. My car actually has a tone. If I get on it anywhere in town and one of my friends is nearby, they'll call me and be like "quit beating on your car" or something like that because my car has such a distinct sound. I've been told it sounds like a vette, though I think it's close but much more unrefined. It is pretty tame around town and screams at WOT (at night I was heard 2 miles away).
Old 03-04-2011, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dannyo210
You are a smart man.
Thanks. But it doesn't take a genius to figure that out, only an idiot to argue the reverse.

If anyone just wants a loud *** car and doesn't care about how it sounds, get a cam and run open headers. Problem solved.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're after a quiet catback for daily driving OP then a stock catback is a good option. Then you can always open the cutout for the extra ponies. I like that idea and was thinking about doing it.....but why not have a quiet and better performing catback at the same time so you don't even need the cutout? There are some tamed and good flowing catbacks out there.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyo210
You are a smart man.
Are we talking about V8's or 4 banger v tecs?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't mind this dual dual setup that came on the car as far as catbacks go. 3 inch over the axle and I believe it was a power flo setup that came on these cars. But....beware the "cone of silence" for all you stock hawk catback guys. Mine is ok but many received this ...

Sounds great at wot
Old 03-04-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

does anyone realize the op has only posted 2 outta 48 times....lol.....where did ya go???
ahhh who cares have fun with your bad *** cutout......fking crazy...
LS1 / F-BODY LESSON 101... GET A FKING CATBACK FIRST...

I'm done here......
Old 03-04-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

You guys do realize that hearing exhaust over the net doesn't do anything.. Different cameras/phones etc pick up different noises differently.. your speakers could be distorted by different noises, etc.. hearing them in person is the only way to tell what you truly like.
My old xpipe setup sounded like *** on video because t was too loud and distorted the speaker, sounded like sex in person.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Seriously, have you ever driven a car with open headers? I did for too long. It sounds like total *** at part throttle (where you drive 99% of the time), and only sounds decent at at WOT (which you do for what, 13 seconds max?).

Drove it like that for probably ~25 mile. Maybe it sounds better with a cam but if laws were different I would go back to it in a heart beat
Old 03-05-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lol.. so I have even ran open headers longer than you. I have heard it stock cam, ms4 cam, 226 cam, f13 cam.. guess what, they all sound horrible.
Don't mind me though, I just follow the crows and repeat things I hear others say that actually have some experience and research.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ I knew it...
Old 03-06-2011, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Agreed. My dual cutouts are for the track to squeeze every last bit from my reverse split cam until I can afford to swap heads/cam.

At idle, it sounds good.

Under load at part throttle sounds like ***.

WOT sounds ok, still nowhere near as good as true duals with nice mufflers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYa2lTOch-w
Old 03-06-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Some people really do like the sound of open headers. Would I want one for a DD? No, but someone elses opinion is going to be different.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Bringing this thread back up from the dead.

Just to give my opinion, I true duals sound the best. (my opinion!)

BUT I'm running longtubes with a y pipe with an electric cutout and a stock catback at the end. I REALLY like the sound of the cutout (my opinion!) and if I ever have any long trips out of town, near a cop, get a phone call while driving, or want to have a conversation with a passenger without screaming, I just close the cutout and have quiet time.

I'm also going to buy a set of corsa clone tips in a few weeks, that way I can keep the quiet muffler and still look good.

PS. Y-pipe rasp sucks, which is why I love the true dual sound.

Quick Reply: Longtubes and stock catback