Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug wire testers

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plug wire testers

I just picked up a lisle wire checker, wanted to just rent one but they didnt at the parts store. It is the pen shaped wire tester and it has a grove on the end so you can put it to the wire and see if it lights up. Well, ive looked around and i cant seem to find anything about how to use it, i dont know exactly how to read the flashing. I assumed it would flash whenever there is a surge of electricity. Problem is it is intermittant flashing and does not stay consistant. I should have just gotten a multimeter but i didnt think it would work as well..should i have? Also ive got 90k on my car, just replaced the plugs, stock wires looked fine and im not getting any codes but i feel like they may be bad and wanted to check em out.

Edit: Also dont know if you can find gaps or bad sections in the wires with this..

Last edited by The Mighty Texan; 03-06-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The easiest way to check wires is using a meter, just set it to the OHMS scale and see what the resistance is,or if one is open, they should all be about the same resistance value considering they are all the same length. I believe the service maual even has a res. spec on the wires. Harbor freight has a cheap 6 dollar meter, its not the best but more than adequate for working on the car.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah im gunna take this back today and get a multimeter instead. im going to need it for some other stuff anyways..
Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

remember to bend and wiggle the wire when testing it, I have seen em check good when straight but open up when bent !!!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Shoot i just tested them straight..maybe ill get them back off and make sure.

Quick Reply: Spark plug wire testers