Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 11:59 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about instead of "suck", it could be "less than stellar"
Old 02-20-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll admit, I buy every issue at the bookstore.
But lately, it seems that it is getting stale.
Every issue has baby bolt-on tech. Like adding a damn throttlebody or a lid.
Wooptie-frikkin-doooo.
I know GMHTP isn't as big as MotorTrend or Truckin, and they obviously dont have money sprouting out of their petutes, but comon' now. Bolt-ons are getting old now.
How bout an LS1 project car? You've already gone thru most of the bolton's, now try cam's. Then heads. Then maybe nitrous or full dragracing suspension setups.
But I will applaud the LT1 into a 3rd gen project. Thats a good one for once.
And the Buick TR articles are usually really good.

btw, isnt Jim McIlvaine a former NBA player?
Old 02-20-2004, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you know what...
i take back the bad things i said bout your mag...
it shows alot that you take the time to come in here and explain your side of the story when you could just as easy blow us off...
you know as long as you have 4th gens in your mag we will pay ... so you did not have to come take our abuse...
thanks..
and if i can find a pic of mine that looks good i will send it in with write up...
(no mine wont inpress you into doing a feature its only 400ish rwhp)

have a nice day..
i really look forward to a head to head (head comparison)
and headers as well...
if you are in the northern va area and you need a test car ... you bring the heads and i'll bring the cammed car
Old 02-20-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim McIlvaine
We wish there were more Jordon Mussers and Joe Plunkets out there, but they're tough to find.
Rumor has it you will be at the Pony Express 130 in June. Funny coincidence, So am I and a couple other Fbody guys. I'll give ya something to write about.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

they have had head comparisons several times,
at least showing flow characteristics.
I think alot of you are forget that do an all out
comparison between heads, cams, headers etc...
is a lot more involved than a lid and a lot more
uncontrolled variables like each one needing a tune
Old 02-20-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jim: Obviously you missed any of my attempts at being tongue-in-cheek. I wouldn't expect any mag, except maybe Car Craft, to use the term "suck" very often. I know you are here to defend your publication and that is fine. I just hope that you are listening to input as well. The people on this site are way more likely to buy big-ticket items like rotating assemblies and turbos, than the general population. That doesn't mean that you should cater to the every whim of these message boards, but it wouldn't hurt to see which way the wind is blowing here either. I'm glad you took the time to respond and don't let the negative opinions get you down...you still have a good magazine.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Teching In

We are always monitoring the message boards and looking for feeback. To answer ram-it's suggestion about doing stories on cruise spots, I just don't think that is within the scope of our magazine. We will travel great distances to cover events that involve on-track performance, but not poker runs, recreational cruises through pretty parks or club meetings at the In and Out Burger on Sahara (sorry LV F-body guys ).

As for the tech stories, we will continue to offer what we hope is a wide array of stories, ranging from bolt-ons to total engines. More stories will probably end up being bolt-on in nature, because even the guys with built motors will be interested in nitrous tech or headers. Our last two issues have included a new series of tech stories on a 427 build-up and we also started a series of tech stories last year on a seperate 427 build-up. Expect to see more in the future.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jim McIlvaine
We are always monitoring the message boards and looking for feeback.
In a time where most authors are so quick to badmouth internet forums, it really is nice to see an author actually come on one rather than sitting back and casting aspersions on that which he/she will take no part of. I commend you for that , Jim

My only dissapiontment in GMHTP is that it is bi-monthly
(and yet costs more than any other of my magazine substriptions )

As for the "street heat" section, what about taking submissions via e-mail? Many people (myself included) don't have hard copies of their photographs any more, handling the pictures electronlically might encourage more people (myself included ) to submit their rides.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

(And finally I read this thread)

I'm a huge fan of GMHTP. If I lived in Bergen County, NJ I bet I would be working there. I read every new issue to tatters. I can't keep mine because they are actually falling apart from being read and reread. I keep going back and looking pictures of Brad's turbo car to look at his seats and the SLP to look at the shifter placement. When I saw that the GN guy had gone 8.5's I mentally tried to figure out what parts he has that I don't have.

Here is my feedback about the magazine...

1) Needs to be a monthly. It's been four years that I have been reading it. We need you guys to take the chance. Maybe we can have all the GM messageboard owners start a unified sign-up campaign... would 10,000 new subscribers help?

2) When I see you guys test stuff, I don't want excuses at the end of the story as to why the new dyno numbers or test runs are not as good as you hoped, make them better. Go to the track more after the new mods and get the better ET's. I've seen too many articles where your test results lagged bigtime behind the scene.

3) As much as I like Johnny Hunkins, he is for sure a little guy with big ballz, I'm glad that the "you need yellow wheels and splash graphics" administration has left office. Hello Rick Jensen!!!!!!

4) That nitrous 3rd gen story.. it gurgled?

5) The 'net message boards frankly could support GMHTP more. Don't be a slave to corporate events like the Power Tour, cover more of the grassroots stuff in our scene. It's nice to see Power Tour coverage, but it was in like three separate magazines... At least the articles didnt' run all the same pictures.

6) Maybe it's time for you guys to put some trucks in there too. I don't want to see some blinged out H2 on 24's, but I would like to see coverage like Amy's low 12 second all motor Silverado or Whitt's 13.1 Tahoe. Or coverage on our hero Parish 8.

7) "Veritable cornucopia of..." Okay that's a Simpson's quote, but you get my point. Don't talk like a food critic in a car magazine. We tend to have mullets, watch Nascar, go through a gun fetish phaze, like to grill, like reruns of the Man Show, and would like superchargers that stick out the hood and that can be switched on when you need them.

8) I think, use us even more. There are a lot of interesting cars out there, and the heads of the regional car clubs and the message boards might be able to come up with some good ideas.

Oh and Jim I have a new engine combo and different drag wheels now, can I get back into GMHTP or am I already over my limit?
Old 02-20-2004, 04:12 PM
Teching In

John, if you worked at GMHTP and lived in Bergen County, I'd hope Ann would have a job that would cover your mortgage and property taxes

I agree, the magazine needs to go monthly. Then again, I'm not salaried, so that would be to my benefit. I really don't know the specifics of what's involved in getting to that next step, but I know there are several factors involved. Many of our advertisers have also suggested to me that we go monthly, but quickly retracted those requests when I asked if they were ready to double their advertising budget with us. Since I get paid by the story, I wouldn't be worried about compensation, but the powers that be might have trouble doubling Rick's workload without doubling his salary.

We do get a lot of comments about our Power Tour coverage, but I look at it as a way to showcase some vehicles that might not otherwise get much ink. Almost every vehicle pictured/mentioned in that coverage was a non-4th gen and most were raced during the week.

We cover big events like Power Tour or the Bristol Bash, because they are the biggest and best of their kind. At the same time, I think Rick has also done an outstanding job of covering what I would consider to be "grassroots" events, like the Buick Nats, the Impala Nats and the NFME and more are in the works. We are limited by space and at some point we have to strike a balance between tech, features and event coverage.

I'm sure Rick will take a close look at everything folks are suggesting in this thread and Amy doesn't own that truck anymore (ask me how I know ). You will have to ask Rick about your car John, as he makes those decisions, I just follow the directives
Old 02-20-2004, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think mentioning gatherings that would interest
the enthusiant of your target audeniece is definitly
in the scope of your coverage. Talking about big ones
like bowling green, carlisle etc...simply cause we want
to know. Has as much or more to do with us than
the updates on GM in general or concept LS1 cars that
will never see the light of day(impala, grand prix, etc..)
Old 02-22-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think GMHTP is the best mag out there for late-model f-bods by far. C'mon guys other so-called LS1 boards can't even keep up with the tech on this board, no way in hell a magazine's gonna. Plus there are guys on this board that know the specs or performance of different parts before you can even buy them. Alot of people here have already seen dyno graphs and heard sound clips of the Texas Speed and Performance catback before you could buy one, I bet it'll be at least 6-8 months before you see one in any mag. But, that is why we're all here isn't it, I've learned more in six month of owning an LS1 from this site than I did in six YEARS of owning an LT1 from anywhere else.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Launching!

My SLP lid fits fine....it will have to do till I change out my hood and the CAI.