Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't Waste Money

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by misterscary
Like I said guys I wanted to leave mine bone stock, I dont care about what you did with your cam and headers im talking bone stock . You spent twice what I did to run 11's bring your car to Michigan and Ill show you what a bone stock ls1 does to your so called 11sec ride. Im on street tires not drag radials too.
No need to start calling people out you told everyone your experience and we are letting you know our's.

PS, what are you going to tell someone that comes to you and says "hey I got my 30 RWHP and it's not enough?"

Are you going to tell them that now they can go buy the cam and headers that you said were a waste and start tuning all over again?

Like I said great numbers for your setup but I don't think a lot of people are going to be satisfied with 30 more horse. I've felt farts stronger than that change.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya screw that, I gotta let my car breath dammit. Pacesetter LTs and GMMG catback, here I come
Old 04-01-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, you guys are quick to bash the new guy.

I think he was talking more about the car running slower at the track because it's a hell of a lot harder to 60' a car with more power. I don't really think he really meant cam and exhaust is a COMPLETE waste, I took his point to be people don't apprechiate what they can do with less sometimes. You can run 11s without a cam for sure, that gets overlooked from time to time

On dynoing a stock car, it's all going to depend on how far the tune is off to begin with. Most I've seen documented was in the mid 20rwph range, 26 I think? If stock he was running about 11.2 or so A/F ratio there is a LOT to gain from leaning it out.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

A good bit of info for new ls1 owners.. Dont waste money on headers, Cams Etc. These cars have alot of hidden power, take time to get the tune right which will require several trial and errors. I spent several hrs on the chassis dyno and tuning my 2000 z which is bone stock besides a vigilante converter and gear. The car has posted a best of 12.20 on street radials. If you want a different cam and headers thats fine but keep in mind, if you do not spend the correct amount of time on the dyno and computer tuning you are wasting your money. I have several friends that have gone that route and have taken 3 steps backwards to go 1 forward and it upsets them to know, I went the smart route and still run numbers there cars are trying to catch.
I personally don't agree. Getting a tune on a (near)stock car is "going backwards" because eventually you WILL want to get the most out of the engine.
There is a logical order in which mods should be done, converter being one of the first and tune being one of the last. The exceptions would be A) you want to get a baseline number to check your gains against later or B) other than a converter and gear, you plan on leaving it stock forever. If that is the case, I could see getting a tune.

just my $.02

P.S. Nice numbers for your setup

Last edited by RobRomero; 04-01-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Ya screw that, I gotta let my car breath dammit. Pacesetter LTs and GMMG catback, here I come
You have a lot of tech members near you, you should have no problem finding help

Plus you already have something figured out that a lot of people don't get, don't pretend to know a lot if you really don't. I'm more likely to help someone that has that figured out than someone who I have to argue with the entire time. Good Luck bro
Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the props dude, I am at my limitations right now, but all I was getting at was I kept mine stock and ran the numbers I wanted. Its different for everyone and what they want. The thread was about keeping them stock..
Old 04-01-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

A good bit of info for new ls1 owners.. Dont waste money on headers.
Stopped reading.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the props dude, I am at my limitations right now, but all I was getting at was I kept mine stock and ran the numbers I wanted. Its different for everyone and what they want. The thread was about keeping them stock..

Here's a quarter's worth of free advice on tuning, be careful uping the line pressure on your tranny they can't take much. (I've been down that path a time or two )
Old 04-01-2011, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I dont think you were trying to hate on cams and headers but to say "dont waste your money" on proven mods is just the wrong way to say what your trying to say. Because if you really were trying to say those mods are a waste of money then I would have to seriously question your knowlege about our cars. Just giving you the bennefit of doubt and my .02
Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

i could maybe see spending a couple 100 on a handheld programmer but i damn sure am not speding the money for a dyno tune on my currently stock ls1. i dont plan on dyno tunning my car till the cam and ls6 intake go on which is the last of the mods for phase 1 of my plan
Old 04-01-2011, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

well one of the most restrictive pieces of the exhaust besides the cats is the muffler. So he said he changed that. Well, that's gonna be a significant positive change. Much more significant than going to 3" pipe on an otherwise stock engine (no cam and no boost).

Aside from being ugly, if you want like 90% of the perf benefits of a new exhaust engine back, then just change out the cats and muffler to something freer flowing. The pipe size is not so much your bottleneck, and too many people do headers but dont do anything to try to retain as much heat as possible. Losing heat in the headers reduces exhaust gas velocity a lot, and this negates many of the benefits of having headers in the first place (at least on low rpm range where exhaust volume is low). Tuning wont help you there. You have to reduce heat loss through the pipes if you want to keep the exhaust gas moving at the speeds they were when you had manifolds.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Question: I'm having Speed, Inc install a slp lid and bellows and they recommend I get a basic tune to show improvements. Is this a waste of money or will I notice a difference in performance with a lid and basic tune? ?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

how much are they charging for the tune?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

It's originally 150 but they said since I'm a new custy they'll do it for 100, that's why I might do it.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Question: I'm having Speed, Inc install a slp lid and bellows and they recommend I get a basic tune to show improvements. Is this a waste of money or will I notice a difference in performance with a lid and basic tune? ?
if you have plans in the future to do full exhaust, dont bother on the tune yet.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Basic Tune, not Dyno Tune. Dyno tunes is 500 bucks, but won't do untill headers install.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^ x2 wait till you do exhaust
Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Some the "newbie" LS1 guys should read up a bit before they post.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

And I told them I want to eventually put headers and they said they'll do a update tune for the headers. Think I should just wait till I get full exhaust to just do the full dyno.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

I take them saying that as more of a disclaimer. I'm sure they've had ton's of people complain when the mod they added didn't hit the levels the commercial promised. So, now if they recommend you get a tune and you don't and complain they can point towards you not taking their recommendation. With the tune they'll definitely hit the numbers.

I say wait til you've modded a few other things before coughing up the $$ for a tune