Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya ima just wait.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Question: I'm having Speed, Inc install a slp lid and bellows and they recommend I get a basic tune to show improvements. Is this a waste of money or will I notice a difference in performance with a lid and basic tune? ?
If thats all the mods your car will ever see then yes get a tunes and be done with it. If you plan on doing things to your car in the future then yes a tune would be a waste. You dont need a tune after small mods like that. I just got my first tune on my car because I put a stall in. But before that I was driving around with mods in sig for over a year.
I have same mods on my old 98z and never got a tune for it. Had it for a few years.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn tension is this thread the first 2 pages...lol but boricua your newbi-ness has help to calm things down..and Lid is where your gonna start and you don't plan on finishing it there.. than no don't get a tune until at least the exhaust...and from there its a snowball effect...more more more!! that is what the final outcome will be.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

hahaha yea I'm real bi polar so I tend to change conversations quickly lmao.

So a tune after headers? Cause I need to get a catback first, that doesn't require a tune, right? just after the headers?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by misterscary
A good bit of info for new ls1 owners.. Dont waste money on headers, Cams Etc. These cars have alot of hidden power, take time to get the tune right which will require several trial and errors.
I disagree.

There isn't that much power to be gained via a tune on an otherwise stock LS1 car. There is some, but not "a lot" as you've suggested. If you want to make power significantly beyond stock numbers, you'll need to look at doing several bolt-ons at the very least. Saying to "not waste money on headers, cams, etc." is bad advice IMO. People that are shopping for these sorts of parts are looking for power levels that cannot be attainted with a stock engine, no matter how much tuning is done.

Tuning is a very important factor when it comes to dialing in a setup (anything from full bolt-ons to heads/cam to forced induction), but for a stock car you are not going to see huge gains with just a tune. No need to give anyone false hopes.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

YEA misterscary, you big bully lol.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Listen to ^^^RPM rookies, not knuckleheads that started this thread.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

You can increase 30 + horsepower with a good tune on a bone stock ls1 trust me, it will take some patience and you need a chassis dyno to perfect it. I changed just about everything imaginable to gain my numbers , line pressure's, rpms changes and timing curves.
If that's true, I think it might be a record. I've never heard of anyone gaining 30rwhp on a stock LS1 with just a dyno tune.

A lot of guys make the mistake of wanting 350 -400 hp by changing cam, headers and and they actually go backwards to gain basically nothing, but noise
Most guys with a cam and headers DO make 350-400rwhp. I have no clue where you got the idea that most of them go "backwards" or gain nothing, but it's simply not the case.

You mentioned having a 109mph trap speed with your curret setup. If you did a cam and headers, then re-tuned, you'd probably be trapping 5-6mph higher. That's hardly "backwards".
Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

look at the post count and the owner ship of cars...lol theres guys that have been on the F-bods for years...before the LS1 ever came out or EFI for that matter..take it from experience since its always easy to stake claim on the internet. IF you ever had experience with cars...you know that bolt-ons and mods are a staple to making more power and better times...other wise 95% of the aftermarket companies producing power parts would be out of business thanks to misterscary's remark. because if putting cams and headers are going backwards..than what about lids, heads, intake manis? I DO agree that a tune can open up the cars we drive..but with bolt-ons and power adders it will be more worth the while..because you'll want the most for your money.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:55 PM

Sorry for the good advice I posted earlier, I guess I can tell my brother who campaigns one of the fastest lsx cars in the nation were full of ****. oh and my bud Chuck Samuel he doesnt know what he is doing when he tune's my Ls . Do what you want guys I was just trying to help.. Bring em to Michigan

All done !!!!!!

As for the Bad Comments Bring ur Junk to ( Michigan ) oh and dont forget ur wallets
Old 04-01-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

As for the Bad Comments Bring ur Junk to ( Michigan ) oh and dont forget ur wallets
You think someone here would take you seriously? Not only you have posted a moronic thread but now you feel the need to talk crap?? You even know where you are, son?

You are digging you own grave deeper.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry for the good advice I posted earlier, I guess I can tell my brother who campaigns one of the fastest lsx cars in the nation were full of ****. oh and my bud Chuck Samuel he doesnt know what he is doing when he tune's my Ls . Do what you want guys I was just trying to help.. Bring em to Michigan
Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

you are a ******* moron if you think your 12 second car won't get hurt
Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Theres quite a few people here that "waste money" on our cars according to you & probably wont take your good advise & will keep on "wasting" some more too. If we wanted "all stock" we would all drive a Prius or a Volt. Some are happy with "all stock" cars some not. Your brother must be one of us too to have a fast lsx car like you claim, it would seem pretty hard to do it "all stock".
Old 04-01-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Is your brothers car "stock" as well?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

To the OP... cool story bro.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:36 PM

This site is no different than the rest, you try to give some good advise to new comers and you get bombed with do's, dont's, and hate. The thread didn't start Moronic it ended that way due to all the regulars on here that( know it all). Everybody has there own opinions and are welcome to them . If u can dish it u should be able to take it..
Old 04-01-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Off topic, but judging from your username you must be a George Lynch/Dokken/Lynchmob fan lol
Old 04-01-2011, 03:44 PM

Nice looking Chevelle Thunderstruck, Ive got a 1970 Chevelle sbc been a best of 10.40 on drag radials with a 250 hit . Sweet Ride
Old 04-01-2011, 03:48 PM

Nice LOL Dokken for sure, back in the 80's good catch. I had a 69 chevelle back in the day with a dyers 671 took my buds for a ride and thats been my nick name since except the rat tail is gone...