Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't Waste Money

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by misterscary
Sorry for the good advice I posted earlier, I guess I can tell my brother who campaigns one of the fastest lsx cars in the nation were full of ****.
So you are implying that running a stockish car gets you one of the fastest cars in the nation because thats what this thread is about.

I vote and you are killing us with your reasoning.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

well, at least he likes cool tunes but he sure does like digging with the shovel
Old 04-01-2011, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, this thread has to be an April fool's joke. Is this guy kidding me? If you are serious I am just a stone's throw away. As for your brother running one of the fastest LS cars in the nation? Let's see it. We should be in GA this Spring testing with what might be THEE fastest LS based car in the nation.

On a side note my car trapped 106 bone stock at Martin, not far from you. 109 wouldn't be a huge step. Couple bolt on's or even a tire would have done that. All without a converter or gear.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:04 PM

Who said anything about our Lsx car being stock , This whole thread was about what I did with my stock LS car and getting great numbers to help those out that wanna get good horsepower and basically leave there car stock and family friendly. Wow
Old 04-01-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice LOL Dokken for sure, back in the 80's good catch. I had a 69 chevelle back in the day with a dyers 671 took my buds for a ride and thats been my nick name since except the rat tail is gone...
Personally, I hate all things George Lynch, but my dad loves them. Even though it's not my thing I still know a thing or two about it lol.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

This site is no different than the rest, you try to give some good advise to new comers and you get bombed with do's, dont's, and hate. The thread didn't start Moronic it ended that way due to all the regulars on here that( know it all). Everybody has there own opinions and are welcome to them . If u can dish it u should be able to take it..
You are entirely missing the point I think.

A good tune is very important. I agree with that completely. That being said, there is a good chunk of people here that are making power levels that the motor simply can't reach without headers, cam, heads. I hardly see how it is wasting money if your goal is a 400RWHP car.

You have referred to your car as stock a few times now. How is a big stall/gear car stock? You still haven't answered that question as it has been asked at least one other time before me. 12.20s is a very impressive time for your setup for sure. However, I don't see why you would be willing to do a stall and gears, but not a set of headers or an intake manifold?

Also, consider the fact that most of the "money wasting" mods you have mentioned cost a hell of a lot less than a good wideband, HP Tuners and time on a dyno do. Not to mention the time required to learn how to tune properly. You can pay a tuner to dial it in for you, but there is no way it will be spot on unless numerous hours are spent on it. in that case you are looking at some serious coin on a tune that will need to be changed the first time you add anything else.

I also wanted to point out, while you can name drop all you want, ask your "friends" if they think a good cam or a nice set of headers is a waste of money. I would like to see them post up "leading numbers" without either of those items installed.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!! lmao j/k but yeah vote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:33 PM

Being I have easy access to a dyno, I wanted to see what can be done with my stock Ls Engine with out getting into cam heads, ect. I did the gears and the converter to help the Ls get out of its own way on the street. I'm basically talking the numbers we got from base LS and Custom Tune/ Dyno Numbers Engine only. If u read the whole thread it was based on engine numbers only. I can post a dyno picture result if u guys want before and after . Im sure i will eventually get there with the heads and cam but I was posting what we did on a stock engine set up. Holy cow
Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

^ I thought a cam was a waste of money?! Oh and MRSCARY live was pretty good. In my dreams was always a great tune to
Old 04-01-2011, 04:37 PM

It was just great advise to those new to the scene. Lets all remeber its not a std sbc were talking about here, these LS engines are way more costly to build.. So tuning for someone on a strick budget can be a huge help. Not all people are single with pockets of dough there are some out there that have family's and have budgets.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:40 PM

Holy **** u guys chill out..
Old 04-01-2011, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

thats gonna be a hard press advice because not everyone has the access to a dyno and definitely not on a budget...its gonna be hard to get a stock tune on a budget with countless hours on a dyno.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

itll probably end up costing as much as a h/c combo
Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

I have yet to hear anything on my offer?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being I have easy access to a dyno, I wanted to see what can be done with my stock Ls Engine with out getting into cam heads, ect. I did the gears and the converter to help the Ls get out of its own way on the street. I'm basically talking the numbers we got from base LS and Custom Tune/ Dyno Numbers Engine only. If u read the whole thread it was based on engine numbers only. I can post a dyno picture result if u guys want before and after . Im sure i will eventually get there with the heads and cam but I was posting what we did on a stock engine set up. Holy cow
So...you wasted money on a converter, tune & plan on tuning it again after heads & cam? Wouldnt it be less of a "waste" to do the mods then tune it?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

This thread is not going to be helpful to anyone at this point. Telling new members that modifications are a waste of money, and leading them to believe that all they need is tuning to run stellar times with their stock car is doing them a disservice.

To the OP.....

Your initial post and some of your replies have implied that getting a tune is as good or better than doing bigger mods, like headers or a cam. You’ve called them a waste of money, or that many guys gain basically nothing by doing them. But the fact is, a tune is not a substitute for those mods nor does not compete with them, it compliments them.

You can spend 40 hours tuning a stock LS1 engine and you STILL won’t see the same sort of numbers that you’d see from tuning that same engine with a cam/header combo.

Personally I think you are attributing too much of your car’s track performance to the tuning. It’s the 3600 stall, 4.10 gears and drag radials that are mostly responsible for those times, tuning just helped to dial all that in. If you put everything on your car back to stock, other than the tuning, you’d only be marginally faster than a stock car.

run 12.20 with lazy 60 and 109mph. I still think mine is not yet there my mile per hour seemed low comparing 60 ,1/8 1/4 mile numbers but im not complaining.
The reason why your MPH seems low for the ET is because you still have a stock engine; it’s the gearing, stall and traction that’s made your low 12 second ET possible, not extra horsepower. This has been my point all along, that to gain major horsepower you will need to move beyond a stock engine. No matter how much time you spend on the dyno tuning, a stock engine will never have the same power potential as one with internal modifications.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 04-01-2011 at 05:27 PM.