New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody know what a flowmaster sounds like on an LS1??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if a Super "40" Series flowmaster is louder than a single chamber flowmaster......
Old 02-22-2004, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 400hp guy
I was wondering if a Super "40" Series flowmaster is louder than a single chamber flowmaster......
The 40 series isn't crossflow. The 80 series is the only one for our cars. (unless you have true duals)
Old 02-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Teching In

what do you mean crossflow. u cant have single inlet single outlet
Old 02-22-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by unit213

Answer your question?

it sounds good but sucks *** for HP....it also drones really bad at 2,000RPM
Old 02-23-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

400hpguy, flowmaster makes a 40 series muffler that is non-cross flow (camaro/firebird style muffler) that has a single 2.5 inch inlet and dual 2.5 inch outlets they use this muffler for trucks. there is only one catch, youd have to send 2 pipes over teh axle and i dont think thats going to work. I was shooting for something different and im in the process of making a side exit catback with the truck style 40 series muffler. im just waiting on some pipes to get crushed a little and coated (along with the heat sheilding im wrapping my fuel line areas to make sure i dont hurt them). I did however turn the car on today with only partial side exits, (i have about 2 feet of piping that goes to teh drivers side im waiting on, but the side exit on the passenger side is finished, and it has a decent tone. the drone is going to suck just as 2001camaroguy already noted. I can't give you an exact idea of what it sounds like as without the other part of the exit piping on yet, there is a bit more bass coming out. but the tone is a typical flowmaster tone. Its deep, has an aggressive edge to it, but if you are looking to get that mustang flowmaster tone id suggest this...get yourself an off road h pipe and go true duals with flowmaster delta 40 series single inlet single outlet. with some kind of headers that set up wouldn't be as bad with the power loss, however im not worried about power loss as i dont care much how fast my car is.

Hopefully i can get some decent sound clips, i've tried with my previous catbacks but have failed at making the sound clip do teh catback justice. Considering im building thisone myself (a first for me), id like to get a good amount of pics and sound clips so i can post them up and get **** on for having flowmaster lol. sound is subjective, to one it might sound great to another they might hate it.

technically you could put a single in single out 40 series muffler in teh i pipe and then turn 1 pipe over teh axle then add a y section after that and get some 90 degree bends but you are talking lots of twists and turns and you are gonna lose power and sound from this. and one flow master muffler is not going to sound as good as two, the truck style 40 series is designed a little bit differently.

and the 1 chambers are goign o make more power than the 40 series. logic 1 chamber vs 2, less restrictive, but i've heard the 1 chambers on a car and the drone really sucks. everything shakes in the car from the bass of the exhaust note. if thats your bag of chips id say go for it, but personally i didnt like it.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

What about B&B Tri-Flow. No one has mentioned it....
Old 02-23-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Ditto on the Magnaflow...sounds good and it supposidly has really nice flow numbers.
Ed
Old 02-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Teching In

what is crossflow...
Old 02-23-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive always heard that the Catback is terrible.....But, Ive heard that the 40 Series Flowmaster Mufflers on a true dual setup is Swesome!!
Old 02-23-2004, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 400hp guy
what is crossflow...
In one side, out both sides. Like a stock or aftermarket F body catback muffler. (excluding Borla and the 2OTL)
Old 02-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Teching In

i have a single chamber flowmaster on my car. (single inlet single outlet) in replace of my stock muffler. i have the muffler and a turn down after the opening and it sounds great. now can i put the NEW SUPER 40 SERIES flowmaster on it and do the same thing as the other muffler. would the single chamber be louder or the the super 40.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Banned

hey i have a video of my car on the 80 series... sounds bad as but is robbling my hp and flow output.... ;( ...it me find it....
Old 02-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Banned

http://www.ls1sounds.com/Flowmaster/...s_bluebird.MOV

there you go... wating on the $$ for a GMMG...
Old 02-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Launching!

i wouldnt get the flow masters, but if you do id also get an electronic cut-out. you can have power when you want, and a good sound when you want.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

get borla... i dont like the ls1 flowmaster combo also i read on a post once that flomastewrs actually flows less than the ws6 exaust
Old 02-24-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just finsihed the side exit exhaust using a 40 series chevy truck flowmaster muffler. i used 110 degree bend and a 90 degree bend ( i believe thats what i used id have to check it again), however i went with 2 1/4 inch piping out to the sides just for added ground clearance. its much better sounding than my loudmouth did. and i only got one quick dyno before i left the shop and it seems i did lose a decent amount of power from teh switch. nothing that i could feel at the SOTP.

Sound wise, its much quieter than the loudmouth...there is the signature flowmaster tone, the interior resonance is not bad at all, ALOT LESS than the loudmouth. I got a better sound than i expected i was afraid id get that signature flowmaster drone, which i do not. around 1800-2k rpms i do get a drone but its not loud enough inside the car to put pressureo n the ears. I already got two compliments tonight about it and i haven't even had a chance to put the squared black chrome tips i purchased (still waiting on those) Hopefully in a few days i can get a sound clip.

all in all im very pleased, not bad for someone who just learned how to weld a week ago and has never done custom exhaust work in his life. I usually pay people to do this but this was much cheaper, total cost was 45 for the muffler 20 for the piping and the tips were expensive but my girlfriend bought themfor me so im happy with that .

if you like the way flowmaster sounds, you aren't going to get that mustang sound without going true duals. but i am very pleased witht he sound of the 40 series from a chevy truck. but the down side if you are looking for power, its not going toperform as well as other exhausts will
Old 02-25-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

It sounds like....ah....ah.....well ****!!!