New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help:Annoying noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011 | 12:04 PM
Teching In

Default Help:Annoying noise

So for the past month ive had a terrible squeak coming from my rear passenger side, (possibly just a shock) The noise occurs around 65 and once im at that speed it continues till i slow down to around 30mph. At first i thought it may be my rear hatch hinge on the passenger sider but i found that its louder with windows open and is certainly coming from beneath. Next i put it on a lift and compressesed the shock to see if it made any noises, But heard nothing. Lastly i thought that the heat shielding may be causing it so i removed some of the non essential stuff and PB blasted most of the suspension for good measure. But yet it still continues. It basically sounds like a cricket on steroids. Any suggestions before a go buy new shocks?
It has been lowered and has Eibach springs FYI
Old 05-12-2011 | 12:44 PM
On The Tree

check your rubber stops on the underside of the hatch, if its not tight it can rub/squeak from the air pressure moving the hatch. so it only happens when you get up to speed.
happened to me a few weeks ago.
Old 05-12-2011 | 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TankTheTurtle
check your rubber stops on the underside of the hatch, if its not tight it can rub/squeak from the air pressure moving the hatch. so it only happens when you get up to speed.
happened to me a few weeks ago.
You can also lower the back seat. I had the seat latches squeak before.
I think that's it for the inside.

Outside, try pushing down on each corner of the car, maybe with a buddy so see if you can make it happen. Go over a speed bump, does it happen when the front or the rear go over?
Old 05-12-2011 | 01:19 PM
Teching In

just the rear passenger side luckily
Old 05-12-2011 | 02:40 PM
On The Tree

It could also be as simple as your brake pads getting worn. When a pad gets low enough theres a metal piece that is designed to start rubbing to indicate that it's time to change it out. Might only be loud enough to hear once you get above 30 mph.